Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
Suprise by room of fifth wheel

The Wife and I have been looking for a NH, Tffin (stick shock) . While on the local lot, my wife went into several fifth wheels parked near the MH's, and having never looked at a 5er I was very surprised at the room. I really liked the floor plans, but was surprised that they did not include generators. Although they are very nice, the WD is not willing to change our search from a MH, and I guess the prices are close to a mh after you consider a tow , gen. And other factors.

Tom222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
I look at MH's for 2 years before in bought a 5th wheel instead. The 5th wheel / MH debate is on-going as both rigs get nicer. Also as trucks also get nicer.

A new nice gas MH will cost 135k. A new diesel truck and new nice 5th wheel will cost 120k. A new Diesel MH was way out of our price range.

Anyway - a 5th wheel is very comfortable to stay in. The new diesel trucks are both powerful and comfortable.

The new MH's are also very nice. Have fun picking out a rig.

tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
With the Motor Home you also have to add the cost of a toad. You cant do much without a toad and also add the cost of maintenance of 2 drive trains. With the fifth wheel you only have 1 drivetrain.
Blacksmith9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
what he said.......

1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale)* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 * Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
We sold our 5'er a few years ago, and both have their positives and negatives. The DW likes the room when we travel, as do our furry friends. I like the ease of getting something to drink (Non-alcohol), made to order, and of course I don't have to stop except when I want to use the bathroom or take a break. The drawback is, 2 drive trains to maintain. Just remember, as long as mama is happy, everyone is happy.
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
2007 Chev Classic CC LB D/A - Toad
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited - Backup Toad
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
We bought a pop-up in 1978 and have had an rv of some type most of those years. The majority were fifth wheels but the last two before getting our latest rig were a gas motorhome and then a diesel pusher, which added up to 9 years. I will be the first to agree for getting there you can't beat a motorhome. What broke my spirit was the expense of ownership of a dp was more than I wanted to shoulder. When I finally convinced the wife we spent a whole lot more time parking than driving she gave in and we sold the dp to get what we have now. She still misses her freedom when driving but really, and I mean really, likes it when we set up. To replace the 7 year old dp we sold with a new similar one would have cost about twice as much as our GMC and Excel together.

There were some things that we grew attached to with the motorhomes like the leveling system and a residential fridge, so we got both on our Excel. The auto level greatly speeds up and simplifies set up. Just a suggestion but by all means get what makes you and the wife happy. Heck, if I could afford it I'd have a Newell.
2013 Excel Winslow 34RKM
2015 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax 4X4 dually
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
Thor Owners Club
I've always thought about what if I had motorized mechanical repairs to be made and required to be in the shop. With my truck, no big deal does not effect my home. With a MH it becomes a little more of a hassle.

And the room inside the 5r gives us what we want/need.

There are plenty of them that run with generators, some are already pre-wired and some you would have to pay to get them that way.

For us, we will stay with the 5r until perhaps it becomes more work with the 5r then we want, then perhaps move over to a MH. The most work you have to do with them when traveling is to unplug and go. For DW and I it takes about 10 minutes to be road ready now, unless we stay unhooked then it's a wash.
06 King of the Road 37RLQS
06 Coachman Cross Country 5.9L 300HP 382 DS
03 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0L James, Trina, SMSgt, USAF Ret
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
We struggled with that decision for many months, finally opted for a 6 year old 5th wheel and 6 year old truck for a cost of about $42K. We upsized the 5th wheel this year and still pull with the same truck, many miles and many places. I can maintain almost everything on the truck myself and haven't been stranded or had to make any expensive repairs, although I've had some elective upgrades done. A MH can be difficult and costly for the average owner to repair and maintain, something I couldn't afford on my meager budget. Plus, we can park our 5th wheel next to our home for guest overflow and I have a truck I often use for dragging home improvement stuff or grocery shopping, as long as I don't have to park in the Prius hugger's section.....
2004.5 GMC SLT CCLB, Ride Rites, Turbo brake, EFI Live
2012 Arctic Fox 29 5T 5th Airborne, B&W, Prodigy
Papillon navigators Lily, Buddy and Willow
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
Solo Rvers Club
I did contemplate a MH but when I got to the pros and cons (assuming they were the exact same price total for set up)
Well if the Mh broke down and there wasn't a dealer close (providing they would work on it) there would be a tow involved, I would have to stay in a motel

with a 5er I could leave the vehicle and the mechanic could at least drive me back 'home' also my truck could pretty much go to any mechanic and they could fix it, (no waiting for parts)

I like the look and feel of the MH but the upkeep (reading other posts) would have been too much for me.

Because I do have to weigh everything on a budget I felt the best for me
was the 5er. ( used ) I also will be more parked than moving, it is my understanding the MH has to be moved to keep it in shape (correct me if my understanding is wrong)

So my decision was to get the 5er, one slide and bunks which give me an extra room (bunks out, office in)

I know the MH's are really comfortable and I do love them, but for reasons cited above I had to go with what was best for me.

Do your homework, weigh all the pros and cons, and you will find what is best for you and your DW.

Best of luck deciding.... lots of fun looking!
Young at heart,
Older in other places !
Enokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:56 PM   #10
One problem I would have is we have two dogs, one lab (an old girl) and a small ankle biter....lol
Tom222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:08 AM   #11
Originally Posted by Tom222 View Post
One problem I would have is we have two dogs, one lab (an old girl) and a small ankle biter....lol
Go look at a Ram Mega Cab biggest cab in the industry. The rear seats even recline in that model of truck. A new 3500HD DRW Mega Cab Laramie, 4X2, with the AISIN 6 sped auto and a 6.7L Cummins is rated to tow a 29,140 LBs Trailer with a GCRW of 37,500 LBs. This is large enough to tow most top end 5er’s.
Jim W.
Jim & Jill
Sold: 2010 318SAB Cougar:New: 2016 Cedar Creek 34RL. 2008 Dodge 6.7LCummins the original 6.7L engine, w/68RFE Auto
jimcumminsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:25 PM   #12
When the engine becomes obsolete in a MH, what do you do? I am on my second TV for my 5r and am looking at my third TV. Still really like my 5r with some minor upgrades after 19 years and 78,000 miles.
2001 dodge 2500 auto, with billet Mojave Green torque converter with 2nd gear lockup mod, raptor 100 fuel transfer pump and gauges. RV75 injectors
94 Alpenlite 27sl with many mods.
oldbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:32 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have both a MH and 5er. The 5er is a 94 Avion 36M, there is more room in the 5er. The 5er has two slides, in the main area is a super slide, basically is a full wall slide. Bedroom has a queen bed slide, all of the cabinets, entertainment center and floor is solid oak, and has a large walk through bath room. The MH is nice with one slide in the living room, but there is lost space because of the cockpit.

Chuck & Teri, 1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53 Chassis with tag axle, Chassis build date 1/99 in Mexico, Banks System, Trans Command, Air Lift Air Bags on rear, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars front and rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2013 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel. FMCA #F430129
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #14
Originally Posted by Tom222 View Post
We are new to full timing and have a fifth wheel. If we could have afforded a mh we would probably go that route. But I'm happy we have the fiver, because DH can take his truck to work and I still have my car. I doubt we would have pulled my suburban behind a Mh and then also drove the truck.
We have 2 dogs, 2 kids and fish with us. They would probably love mh travel instead of standard car riding.
The fiver just seems easier for us. Considering we keep making a million newbie mistakes, (heat going out and thinking it was electrical and not propane) I can't imagine the extra worries that would fill my mind with another engine. Haha.
Good luck!

Becky, The Crowded Camper Mom
Blog- Www.CrowdedCamper.com
Heartland Owners Club #2605, &RVM #80
CrowdedCampr is offline   Reply With Quote