Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #1

Surge protector - 120V shore power?

Hello Team! I have installed a Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW50 hardwired protector in my new Montana 3150 fifth wheel. The unit worked fine out at the campground when the rig was plugged into a 50 amp pedestal. At home I do not have a 50 or 30 amp 240V outlet available. So I plugged my rig into a 15 amp 120V receptacle to get lights and the refrigerator going. The EMS will not pass power to the rig. The output I get says:

L-1 = 123V, 0A
L-2 = 1V, 0A
E-6

The E-6, or Error 6 is telling me that line 2 has low voltage. Well, yes, this is only a 15 amp 120V circuit. Line 1 is reading the proper 123 V that is coming from the garage.

My question is - with these units hardwired in, am I no longer able to get 120 volts to the trailer via my 15 amp circuits at home? I am sure this is not correct and something must be wrong. I have used various outlets in the house, all read 123V on L-1 and 1V on L-2 (per the EMS). The setup looks like:

50 amp cord from rig - 30 amp adapter - 15 amp adapter - 3-wire grounded extension cord - 15 amp receptacle.

Thank you for any insights.
pcjones33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2014, 09:01 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have a Progressive 50a in my MH, and it works fine with 15a plug. The only difference I see between us, is that I use a 50a to 15a adapter.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:14 PM   #3

Thanks Tony

Thanks much. I know I did this at least once when I installed the EMS system so something is not right. I will get a hold of Progressive Industries.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:36 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I am getting the E-6 error code also. But I get it no matter what type of service I plug in to. Called Progressive and they suggested I check the cord reel. Have not had a chance to do that yet but will this weekend.
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:51 AM   #5

I wonder what's up with the 1v. That said I would just click the bypass switch to get power.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:12 AM   #6

As I understand it 30A is 115V single phase power and return. 50 A is split 230V so there are two nominal 115 legs. There are adapters to connect the two 115V legs in parallel to run light loads on 30 A circuits. One of those with the 20A to 30A adapter might solve your problem. It will not if you have anything wired for 230V operation. Here is a link to a wiring diagram that might be useful:

RV Wiring

You are messing in an area that has possible problems so you need to understand what is going on in your unit or find somebody that does. I just am going from things I understand and comments from another source. The posting is to give you the right questions and to tell you it might be possible. Without the adapter half your circuits are dead as they are on the other 115V split.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:00 AM   #7

if you have one side plugged into a GFI outlet, you will get an error. remove the GFI and instsall a 20 amp outlet and see if that fixes the problem. I use a cheater box for my 50 amp cord to power my fifth wheel off a 30 amp circuit and the 20 amp circuit. I do have to watch what all is turned on, but ca run both AC units at the same time, but can't rum the microwave with both running.
SLJKansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:22 AM   #8

Fixed low voltage problem

Turns out I had a bad situation - the red input wire had come loose from the set screw and had pulled out. I have done plenty of wiring in the past, but I have not worked with this 6 gauge wire before. I had it too tight and it came loose. I was able to get some slack in the cord and made all the connections inside the EMS unit tight. Everything is working as expected. Thank you Tom from Progressive Industries who helped me diagnose the problem! They make a great product.

patrick

Tags
power