Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2013, 10:19 PM   #29

AN Electric Management System is cheap insurance when you look at all the electronics and electric appliances and the cost to replace, plus all the concealed wiring. No big deal on a tent trailer, but over/under voltage and spikes and the repairs are $pendy on the larger and newer units. Get the hard-wired units.
Terry Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichatman View Post
I just bought a 2013 Heartland Cyclone 3800 5th wheel toy hauler It's a big boy. My question is do I really need to buy the portable surge protector. I have been rving for the las 3 years with my 28ft forest river stealth toy hauler and never use a surge protector. Since my 5th wheeeler have more electrical goodies on it do I need to pay hundreds of dolllars for it. Help the still newbie out
Do you carry insurance for damage to your RV?? This would be investment in more insurance. I don't think that RV park owners do any non-corrective electrical maintenance, they just fix the reported broken stuff. This can lead to conditions your EMS is meant to stop.
WDK450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #31

Yes,yes and yes!!!!!
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #32

75 percent of campgrounds you won't need it but if you want to be safe don't leave home without one. They will pay for them selfs with peace of mind.
Barefoot68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Never had one.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #34

My PI PT-50C has saved me two $500 deductibles and an untold amount of grief getting things repaired/replaced.

The neighbors, not so lucky.

That was just in 1 year. I am about $600 and many hours ahead already.

I think I will keep it.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #35

Takes 2 minutes to lock in. If you like to fire up your eu2000 for a quick warm up of something in the microwave, it is a pain. It also draws power and produces heat. Mount it where it has good ventilation. Bought one after 18 years. It is a pain sometimes but it is installed now.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #36

progressive EMS

just purchased a new to me 2007 Monaco Beaver with I believe a built in surge protector I have a Progressive EMS portable. Woould there be any harm in using both

Jim
jmoffat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #37

Why would you?chevman
Larry Barnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #38

Well to add to the reasons why to have one, this morning about 3:00am we had a storm come in and the power went out in the campground. I saw lights on at the shower house, so I went and checked my EMS unit. Voltage was 73 volts. We had both airs on (only one was running at the time).Power finnaly was restored at 9:30 am. Saved me at least one AC unit from running on low vloltage.
SLJKansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #39

I have one hard wired so why would you was meaning one should be enough. Chevman
Larry Barnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #40

paid $300 for the EMS and also not sure if Beaver has built in surge protector I don't see one but if factory installed it could be hidden. So I was thinking if in doubt why not use it

Jim
jmoffat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
75 percent of campgrounds you won't need it but if you want to be safe don't leave home without one. They will pay for them selfs with peace of mind.
I think its more like 99.9999999999 percent.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Just have to agree: Get one! I have the kind that shuts down (as others have noted) with over or under voltage and it has saved me several times already in about 2 months of use!
Worth the money IMHO.