Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoffat View Post
just purchased a new to me 2007 Monaco Beaver with I believe a built in surge protector I have a Progressive EMS portable. Woould there be any harm in using both.

Jim
Does your Beaver have a time delay (90 to 120 seconds after plug in) and an audible clunk? If not, one is probably NOT installed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #44

We have a Progressive Industries EMS that was installed when our NuWa was built. It was a inexpensive option and most NuWa HitchHikers were built with them. We are parked right now in a small town in the Midwest and the power spikes or drops periodically. Our EMS shuts down the power and protects our equipment and allows the power to flow back into the rig once it is stable again. Our neighbor in a house never even knows when this happens and the consequences it could have to his electronic equipment.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #45

I had 6 pages on another RV Forum and they all said its not worth the risk. My wife said why spend $300. I picked my 2014 Montana at Tacoma RV after a little tune up last weekend. The Dude is Service told me he had a Brand New Big Sky come back last week cause the Captain got done plugging her in and the wife started screaming. Turns out the TV started melting!!! Enough said for $300 bucks
Old 10-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #46

I bought mine after I lost both of my 32" LCD TV's due to a power surge.
As said in another post you never know when or where.
It'S much cheaper than replacing the TV's or other electronics!!
Old 10-19-2013, 02:53 PM   #47

I have a portable Progressive, it plugs into the park power, checks everything out before letting power to the trailer.
If you do have a surge and fry the portable, they will repair it at no cost once.

If you have one hardwired and fry it, they will keep replacing it or rebuilding it for nothing.
I had one park in Alabama with bad power so I moved to another park after trying 3 locations in that park.

It is cheap insurance.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #48

Wife and I debated also before pulling the plug on the Camping world ones that are going for $309 right now. Rather pay $300 for a protector then pay for all new wiring in our rig.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #49

Power Protection and Keeps you from blowing Pedistal Breaker

Gang:
I thought that the Progressive 50C EMS with the remote readout was a worthwhile protection of the electrical system and the rig when I bought it at Quartzsite last January. I finally got it installed last month, and while electrical supply worries are no longer a concern, I find that I am looking at the inside readout often to see how many amps the rig is pulling, especially when hooked up to 30 amp service. Before I turn on the microwave or Air Conditioning, I check the readings, and turn off other stuff if I might exceed the 30 amp breaker at the park pedistal. It saves on those trips outside to reset the breaker.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDK450 View Post
Gang:
I thought that the Progressive 50C EMS with the remote readout was a worthwhile protection of the electrical system and the rig when I bought it at Quartzsite last January. I finally got it installed last month, and while electrical supply worries are no longer a concern, I find that I am looking at the inside readout often to see how many amps the rig is pulling, especially when hooked up to 30 amp service. Before I turn on the microwave or Air Conditioning, I check the readings, and turn off other stuff if I might exceed the 30 amp breaker at the park pedistal. It saves on those trips outside to reset the breaker.
X2 it becomes another toy to tinker with. It is very helpful to know exactly how many amps are being pulled from any appliance.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #51

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have lost both an air conditioner (Not an RV type though so ti was less expesive than the protector) and a blower motor (roughly an even break) due to bad power.. The first was a lightening strike nearby Spike supressors might have helped but I did not have 'em on that trailer.. (I do on the motor home) (Spike supressors are often sold as surge protectors but they are not) RV style surge protectors like the one I have plugged in here ARE surge protectors. REAL surge protectors.

A spike is a sudden Very sharp, very short, increase in voltage, Often lasting less than 1/100th to 1/50th of a second. Rarley longer than 1/2 second.

SURGE is a longer increase can last for several seconds.

The Surge Guards or Enegery Monitors (I call them Power line Guardians) monitor voltage, Frequency (Many) and some other things.

IF the voltage goes too low.. They cut you off to protect Motors like the blower motor I lost

If the voltage goes to high.. They cut you off to protect EVERYTHING (I lost a blower motor in my house, not to mention a whole lot of spike supressors, due to a genuine surge when the power company messed up).

They may also cut you off for bad waverform or frequency.

This may be annoying, but it's safe

IF YOU HAVE AN AUTOFORMER

Park---Autoformer--Surge Guard--RV

If you do not have an autoformer

Park-Surge Guard--RV
My 350 dollar on sale Surge Guard cost me about 25 bucks (Man did I get a deal)
Old 11-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #52

Will the EMS-HW50C work if used with a 30A to 50A adapter. Sometimes we are at a campsite that only offers 30A service and use an adapter to plug in our 50A camper. Our portable generator is 30A also and we use the adapter on that.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #53

We had a 30 amp extension cord short out and ruin the tv, vacuum, microwave and blow a fuse in the refrigerator. At the time our New Horizons 5th wheel only had a surge protector. After that episode, we had a Progressive Industries 50 amp hard wired unit installed. We had the PI transferred to the Dutch Star when we bought it.

The PI saved us during a Nebraska electrical storm this year. The circuit board and display became inoperative due to the storm caused damage and Progressive Industries shipped replacement parts to us at our campground gratis! We recommend a PI EMS most highly.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by presley01 View Post
Will the EMS-HW50C work if used with a 30A to 50A adapter. Sometimes we are at a campsite that only offers 30A service and use an adapter to plug in our 50A camper. Our portable generator is 30A also and we use the adapter on that.
Yes, it will work with 30 amp campground service using your adapter. I'm not sure it will work with a generator however. I'm sure Progressive Industries would love to talk to you.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #55

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Along the same question as presely01, would a Progressive or Surge Guard work fine if you used a traditional home plug (15 or 20 amp) with an adapter? I have a 50amp service on my RV but many times when it is parked at the house we will plug into the wall socket in garage so we can run the lights and the fridge before a trip.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:19 AM   #56

At home I am plugged into a 20 amp circuit with a adapter just to keep batts charged and lights. Woks fine. In my quest to find where all my kilowatts of Edison energy go, I have found the Surge protector and battery maintainer uses .3 kilowatts per day. Flip on the refrigerator in 120volt mode and the RV uses 4.3 KW per day.