Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
I had a 50 amp post unit. On a 30 post I used my 30 amp cord for one week without a surge protector and blew the powered supply on my desktop which had it's own surge cord.

We volonteer a lot and sometime only have 30amp available. So went and bought a 30 amp unit for the 30 amp cord.

Makes connections so easy to check at the post. Then switch power on unit at the panel.
Could you have used a 30 to 50 adapter along with your 50 amp protector instead of buying a 30 amp unit? I have an adapter that plugs into the 30 amp pole outlet that I plug the 50 amp protector into and plug my 50 amp camper cord into the protector.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Yes, when using a portable generator versus an on-board generator there is a big difference with the grounding. In that case you would need to use the BY-Pass switch to disable the EMS.
I'm the farthest from being an electrician as you can get so I don't understand this, I installed the Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C at my storage unit a few weeks ago and fired up my portable generator to play with it, seemed to work just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4188678419.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	550.3 KB
ID:	49503  

Old 11-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #73

Monaco Owners Club
It really depends on each generator and how they are wired.

Great job on the install.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 11-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #74

Quote:
It really depends on each generator and how they are wired. Great job on the install. Dr4Film ----- Richard
Thanks, I am a bit anal.....
Old 11-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #75

I am just plugged in in my drive way - I bought one because we seem to have a lot of power surges in my area and after having to replace a refrig. in the house because of a power surge I just felt it was a good idea.. so far I guess it has saved me more than a few times
Old 11-17-2013, 09:18 PM   #76

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To all your surge protector gurus out there... I ordered at EMS-HW50C that should be in tomorrow but as I was reading up on my factory installed Progressive Dynamics 9280 Series INTELI-POWER converter it would seem it does all the same things. This EMS might be redundant and not needed if I am reading everything correctly.
Here is the info on what I have from the factory:
PD9200 Series RV Power Converters

Thoughts?
Old 11-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post

To all your surge protector gurus out there... I ordered at EMS-HW50C that should be in tomorrow but as I was reading up on my factory installed Progressive Dynamics 9280 Series INTELI-POWER converter it would seem it does all the same things. This EMS might be redundant and not needed if I am reading everything correctly.

Thoughts?
VERY different devices.

What you now have is a POWER CONVERTER. It takes 120 VAC power and converts it to 12 VDC to charge your batteries and possibly supply 12 VDC to the RV systems.

The HW-50C is a 120 VAC EMS system that will monitor the incoming quality of the shore power making sure that it meets the posted standards for good power. It monitors both HIGH and LOW voltage, monitors the 60 HERTZ cycles, monitors your NEUTRAL and GROUND connections making sure they are correct PLUS it covers you with 3580 JOULES of SURGE suppression during power voltage SPIKES. If any of those conditions were to be out of limits, the EMS cuts all power to your RV in nanoseconds protecting all of your electronic devices in your RV including your Power Converter.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 11-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post

Thoughts?
It looks to me lie it would only protect the converter itself, and the 12v side, but not things like AC's, TV's, microwave, etc..

I could be wrong though
Old 11-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #79

Cheap protection when you think about the cost of the 5'er electronics.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:12 AM   #80

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
VERY different devices.

What you now have is a POWER CONVERTER. It takes 120 VAC power and converts it to 12 VDC to charge your batteries and possibly supply 12 VDC to the RV systems.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Makes sense now that you point that out. Thanks
Old 11-18-2013, 02:47 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post

I'm assuming you have a 50 Amp rig based on you indicating that you had a 50 Amp surge protector. You can use a 50 Amp protector on a 30 Amp post, it will protect you. You just need the plug adapters.
For instance, my rig is 50 Amps. My surge Guard in wired in, not a portable one, regardless it still protects me when I'm at a 30 Amp site. There in no need to have a second 30 Amp Surge protector, if thats what I'm understanding from your post.
But I never did carry proper adapter at the time due to just having the 30 amp cord and extension.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #82

Sounds to me like it protects only its self.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #83

iRV2 No Limits Club
My understanding from having wired one in, because it is fed by the 120AC circuit beakers, it protects itself and 12V things attached but only to a certain extent and does nothing for 120 AC. I went with a Progressive Industries EMS.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:19 PM   #84

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a question regarding my surge protector remote install:
I was going to have Camping World install my EMS-HW50C on the $29 install special this month but now I am thinking about at least installing the remote myself for quality control reasons and wanted a little advice.
I would like to install the remote where the control panel is for all the other goodies (levels check, slide control, water pump) in the hall wall. Does anyone have advice to run a wire inside that wall? I would need to run the wire from there to the electric area where the EMS will be mounted which is on the same side of the coach.