Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2013, 06:32 AM   #85

Newmar Owners Club
I was going to install mine in the same place, near the control panel. I temporarily attached it to the wall of my basement near the UDC, until i could figure out how to run it inside. The very 1st pedestal I plugged into, the EMS gave me an alarm, and showed that one leg was dead on that pedestal. After using it for a while, i have decided that I am going to leave it there, because when I connect to shore power, I need to be able to see what it is doing w/o walking inside the coach. I may add the optional 2nd remote one of these days, but so far have not found the need for it inside the coach. I suppose if I ever lose power in the night, I may wish that I had one inside, but I find it more convenient to me located near all my utility connections.

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #86

Entegra Owners Club
Focker, I debated the same thing, but decided where I needed the remote was to be able to see it when I plugged in, in the electric bay. If the power shows bad when plugging in, I want to be able to pull the plug before the board blows and have the pedestal checked. Having the monitor inside would do me no good, by the time I got inside to look at it the damage would be done on the EMS.

brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #87

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well that makes sense, I will look around the basement for a good place to mount it or maybe exchange the EMS for the one with the display built in. Any photos of how you have it mounted in the basement?
Old 11-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #88

Monaco Owners Club
One in the Service Bay with an A/B Switch and one in the bedroom overhead cabinet.

Photos attached.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Progressive EMS Service Bay Display.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	50552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Progressive EMS HW50 Display-01.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	50553  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Progressive EMS HW50 Display-02.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	50554  
Old 11-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #89

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the pictures. My basement space is just that, a big space with the equipment attached to the rear area of the box, no pretty panel like you have .
Old 11-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #90

Gang:
Since I installed my Progressive 50 amp wired system, I constantly use the remote readout in my trailer to monitor my current draws. I am at 30 amp services most of the time, and this lets me turn off things before starting up big draws like the air conditioner, microwave, electric heaters, or the electric water heater so I don't trip the 30 amp pedestal breaker. As far as hook-up worries, if the EMS detects a problem it should give you an error code and block electricity going to your RV until you either correct the electrical problem, or push the "bypass" switch on the display. The only time I have had the system lockout power was when I was at my storage using a 100 foot extension cord to connect to power, and the system gave me a "bad ground" fault. I am an active RVer and have been connected to many pedestals since this summer with no other problems.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #91

Pedistal Tester

Sounds like you should have a "Pedestal Tester" before you hook up,

50 Amp RV Pedestal Tester
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #92

We always test at the pedestal before hooking up. When you have a Progressive Industries EMS, there is a delay after you hook to shore power while the EMS checks everything out. There is an audible noise when it lets the power through. If it does not like the incoming power for any reason, it will not let the power through and you get an error message. Our PI EMS was installed during build and the display is located along side our other stuff like tank indicators inside the RV.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #93

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed the EMS-HW50C Surge Protector yesterday, took some time to work with the VERY stiff wire but everything went smoothly overall. Going to figure out the best mount for the remote sometime today.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:05 PM   #94

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two photos of the EMS remote now that it is installed for easy vision while plugging to a pedestal. Simple 3 inch hinge from Home Depot, some double sided tape and screws to secure it on the door side, double sided tape between the remote and hinge on the other. I will add a strip of velcro to keep the hinge closed when the door is shut.