Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2017, 02:39 PM   #1

Sway control?

I have not seen any topics on sway controls on a 5er vs all the threads on WDH and sway control on TT's as well as all the threads on MH handling issues and the need for suspension upgrades.

Is it not needed/do they tow fine with just the hitch?

Are 5er's the best going down the road as is or I just haven't seen the posts?

I do see posts on different hitch pins, ie Morryde or air bag types, but not on other handling/towing issues on 5ers.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2017, 03:39 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
5th wheels do not require sway control and they handle great without it.

Butch50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:27 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Since the hitch hooks the trailer to the middle of the rear axle instead of behind the rear bumper, there isn't any sway - unless you get some serious side winds, but that's anther story.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:57 PM   #4

Sway isn't an issue for 5th but chucking (forward and back movement in the hitch) is an issue. There are various pin boxes that deal with chucking
Old 12-06-2017, 09:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCBackroads View Post
Sway isn't an issue for 5th but chucking (forward and back movement in the hitch) is an issue. There are various pin boxes that deal with chucking
Well said. Safety isn't the issue with the right tow vehicle. The different hitch/pin boxes are all a matter of comfort. Some do better than others when it comes to eliminating chucking.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:35 AM   #6

No sway with 5th wheels at all. Tows straight as an arrow behind the truck, hardly know its there. I'd never go with a TT now.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz View Post
No sway with 5th wheels at all. Tows straight as an arrow behind the truck, hardly know its there. I'd never go with a TT now.
Well many with TT have to work hard to get rid of it, one would need to work very hard to induce sway in a 5er. One would need almost zero pin weight, with like a load of anvils sitting back of the rear bumper to get a 5er to sway.

I would much rather see a 150/1500 pulling a 5er at or slightly over weight ratings (tires excluded), than pulling a long TT, stability is far safer, as long as tire ratings are not exceed.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:56 AM   #8

With one of the premium WDH's like a Pro Pride or Hensley Arrow a TT will tow just like a 5er. Problem is unless you buy used you'spend upwards of #2K on one.
I had the opportunity to find a used one several years ago. I had previously used an EQ with 4 pt sway control. Once I used the Hensley it was obvious how much better they are.
I currently have a 5er and it is nice to not have to deal with all the setup that goes along with a WDH.
Agree with the 1/2 ton towing a 5th wheel loaded to the max. Much more stable than a large heavy TT.

Ever notice that semi trailers don't sway. Only the 2nd trailer inline sways, which affects the 1st trailer.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:35 AM   #9

Thanks guys. After not seeing posts about handling issues on 5ers I figured they tow better then most right out of the gate, and that's what I was hoping for. One less issue to deal with.

Of course I still have ton's of other questions but I'm trying to search as much as possible before I just ask too many questions that have already been answered.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:55 PM   #10

No sway with a 5th wheel as it has better dynamics to start with.

They tow differently when turning. The 5th wheel will track way inside the path of the truck. The truck needs to make wide turns to help compensate.

When towing at night and I can not see the 5th wheel, and the road is smooth I need to check the side mirrors to make sure it is back there.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
No sway with a 5th wheel as it has better dynamics to start with.

They tow differently when turning. The 5th wheel will track way inside the path of the truck. The truck needs to make wide turns to help compensate.

When towing at night and I can not see the 5th wheel, and the road is smooth I need to check the side mirrors to make sure it is back there.
Very nice, and seeing you have my dream setup that is good to hear.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:53 PM   #12
PRT

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstRodeo View Post
I have not seen any topics on sway controls on a 5er vs all the threads on WDH and sway control on TT's as well as all the threads on MH handling issues and the need for suspension upgrades.

Is it not needed/do they tow fine with just the hitch?

Are 5er's the best going down the road as is or I just haven't seen the posts?

I do see posts on different hitch pins, ie Morryde or air bag types, but not on other handling/towing issues on 5ers.
Started with regular roundbar WD hitch, then to Equalizer hitch, better, then Propride P3 the best there is for a travel trailer hitch. Went to a 5ver and there is no comparison in my opinion the 5th wheel handles so much better. Alot of times forget its back there. Can't say that even using the Propride. We use a Trailer Saver hitch and Mor-ryde pin box.Would not go back to a travel trailer.
PRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:22 AM   #13

A 5’er is about as stable as a rock atop a stick.

Terrible center of gravity

5’ers and their tow vehicles have a COG that’s higher even than motorhomes at times. Resulting in a vehicle that can barely get out of its own way.

Very high amount of sail area

Loss of control accidents are primarily about the inability of a given rig to deal with adverse winds. 5’ers had best be parked (as with big trucks pulling empty vans) before everyone else. They’re the first to go over.

With a leaf spring suspension instability is maximized. (Fully independent is the way to go).

On any given day I can do maneuvers with my TT that would roll any 5’er. What my passengers might not acknowledge as untoward.

And continue on thru winds that force all 5’ers off the road.

The hitch to a 5’er or GN is great. The trailer is a disaster.

Can a 5’er sway? Sure. As with a conventional TT it’s almost always down to a clueless operator.

A deadened steering pickup driver isn’t going to know there’s a problem with a 5’er or other rig until it’s too late to do anything about it. Ignorance is bliss.

A 5’er seems nice until it isn’t. I’ve had more of them and TH crash out ahead of me while I’m in the Kenworth than conventional the past few years. (A TH and lifted pickup is the dead-on worst RV on the road).

A 5’er, like using a pickup, is a compromise. Space, or open bed convenience, comes at a cost.

It’s easier to understand that the crappy qualities of most conventional TTs are simply carried forward in the 5’er design, albeit with a “better” but overly heavy additional amount of hitch weight.

This is offset somewhat by the close-coupling (thus better aero) of a 5’er, but there’s no getting around the “need” for a farm/ranch vehicle being pressed into daily driver family service. For which it isn’t well suited.

Given the high rollover propensity of a pickup (or tail-out in slick conditions) best balance the idea of what one likes about it as part of a 5’er rig versus an ugly reality when solo.

Take the whole picture into consideration.

Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:03 AM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednax View Post
A 5’er is about as stable as a rock atop a stick.

Terrible center of gravity

5’ers and their tow vehicles have a COG that’s higher even than motorhomes at times. Resulting in a vehicle that can barely get out of its own way.

Very high amount of sail area

Loss of control accidents are primarily about the inability of a given rig to deal with adverse winds. 5’ers had best be parked (as with big trucks pulling empty vans) before everyone else. They’re the first to go over.

With a leaf spring suspension instability is maximized. (Fully independent is the way to go).

On any given day I can do maneuvers with my TT that would roll any 5’er. What my passengers might not acknowledge as untoward.

And continue on thru winds that force all 5’ers off the road.

The hitch to a 5’er or GN is great. The trailer is a disaster.

Can a 5’er sway? Sure. As with a conventional TT it’s almost always down to a clueless operator.

A deadened steering pickup driver isn’t going to know there’s a problem with a 5’er or other rig until it’s too late to do anything about it. Ignorance is bliss.

A 5’er seems nice until it isn’t. I’ve had more of them and TH crash out ahead of me while I’m in the Kenworth than conventional the past few years. (A TH and lifted pickup is the dead-on worst RV on the road).

A 5’er, like using a pickup, is a compromise. Space, or open bed convenience, comes at a cost.

It’s easier to understand that the crappy qualities of most conventional TTs are simply carried forward in the 5’er design, albeit with a “better” but overly heavy additional amount of hitch weight.

This is offset somewhat by the close-coupling (thus better aero) of a 5’er, but there’s no getting around the “need” for a farm/ranch vehicle being pressed into daily driver family service. For which it isn’t well suited.

Given the high rollover propensity of a pickup (or tail-out in slick conditions) best balance the idea of what one likes about it as part of a 5’er rig versus an ugly reality when solo.

Take the whole picture into consideration.

Quite an opinionated post and also quite inaccurate. I've driven both extensively and disagree with almost all you say. With over 50k miles towing each, I think I've some validity.

1. For a 5er to be top heavy, it'd have to be top loaded and that's almost impossible to do (unless you put lead ingots in the highest cabinets).

2. There is a lot of 'sail' area, but I've never experienced any more problems with cross winds than with my TT. 5ers are far more maneuverable than TTs though.

3. I've never experienced ANY sway with our 5er, but certainly have with the 28' TT we had before it. That's also with a sway control setup.

4. There is no 'hitch weight' with a 5er. That's called 'pin weight' and is put directly on the rear axle of the two vehicle, NOT in back of the rear bumper. That's why 5ers are easier to tow and control.

The only reason I'd have to ever go back to a bumper-pull TT would be if it were under 20' and only used for weekends locally. I've towed our 38' 5er completely across the US three times and twice up into Canada, and I'd never attempt doing that with a bumper-pull.