Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #1

Switched from MoHo to Fiver

Well, we made the decision (again!) and traded in our 2004 Monaco Knight for a 2012 Open Range 386FLR 5th Wheel RV. On the one hand, sure it's an expensive step but on the other hand, in 30 years we'll have an honest-to-God vintage RV! We noticed that we're happier staying in a few places for a while than in traveling somewhere else every few weeks or so. For the time being, we don't need a truck to haul this thing around in Alberta because the dealer will pick it up in the Fall and drop it off at the RV park in the Spring once we get back from our winters in Arizona. So, I've got time to be learning about the most efficient way to haul this thing around since I'm sure trying to hook this thing up to my F150 would just make it squat and puke. All that being said, full-timing is still the way we want to go from here on in.

"Road Ranger" (Lenny!) RCMPolice Veteran #25XXX
"Geminimajic" (Gloria!)
2012 Open Range 386FLR 5'ver towed by (TBD)
Road Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Road Ranger, I think you woul be happy with a dually from any of the manufacturers.
Depends on how much you want to spend. (The Peterbuilt is a bit costly). LOL.
Good luck in your search and Happy Camping.
(On edit..... I had a long conversation with a RCMP Sgt. back in 1986 in Inuvic, NWT. We had breakfast togeather in a motel restrant, and upon leaving, he gave me two pins he had been wearing. One was a Sailing Ship with "G" Division and the other was an RCMP in dress uniform on a horse. Still have them and consider them priceless.)

1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #3

Congrats on your purchase on your new 5ver! We also have an Open Range and we love it!( 320MPR Toy Hauler)
We tow ours with an 3500 series 4x4 Dodge Mega Cab Dually. MPG range from 8.1 to 9.5 depending on driving conditions. We love the truck but I wish the mileage was a tad bit better, but I'm happy non the less.
Good luck in your search for a new TV, I would suggest a Dually in which ever manufacturer you choose.
Happy travels!
Old 05-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #4
JDT

Not very many of us out there that have gone from a motorhome to a fifth wheel. We recently sold our 05 Amabassador and ordered an Excel Winslow 34RKM due next month. We owned 4 fifth wheels before going to motorhome and the expense of ownership and upkeep is a whole lot less.

We bought a GMC 3500HD diesel to pull our Excel.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #5

Smile

We did the same thing...sold a 38' Damon Intruder MH and got a 2011 38' Brookstone fiver last year. Had a Carriage fifth wheel many years ago and truly missed it. Have also had a Bounder MH when the kids were little...so we've done a little of both! Right now we're back to a fifth wheel. Why? We like having a truck around the house (2011 Ford F350 Dually/Diesel Powerstroke),
gas mileage is a WHOLE lot less. We were getting maybe 6 or 7mph with the MH, now averaging about 13 mpg towing. Convenience of having a tow vehicle to run around in, sightseeing. (We did have a toad with the MH, so still had to tow.) I think there are more floor plan options with a fifth wheel, and seems like there is more useable space.
Looking forward to our trip to AZ,NV,OR & WA this week!
Old 05-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #6

Thanks to all y'all - or Toot La Gang, as we say up north here - for the comments on the proper tow vehicle to check into if I should ever need to go for that. I was thinking it would have to be less expensive on the whole for the dually than for the motorhome so I'm glad to have some corroboration on that. Another thing we've noticed is that we have more of the 38' available to us for day-to-day living in the 38' 5'ver than in the 38' motorhome.
"Road Ranger" (Lenny!) RCMPolice Veteran #25XXX
"Geminimajic" (Gloria!)
2012 Open Range 386FLR 5'ver towed by (TBD)
Road Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Open Range 386FLR
GVWR = 16,515
Hitch weight around 22.5%, or wet and loaded 3715 pounds.

Newer Ford dually will weigh about 9,000 pounds ready to tow. Add 16,515 and you need minimum 25,515 GCWR and 12,715 GVWR. The 2012 F-350 DRW has more than enough GCWR at 30,000 pounds, and barely enough GVWR at 13,300 pounds. I don't keep up with GM and Dodge specs, but I'm sure they offer similar weight capacaities.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #8

We did the same thing. Got tired of 6 mpg and the upkeep of the MH. Now I can have a truck or my Harley to go sightseeing, a lot more room, 11 mpg with a lot less upkeep. It's not for everyone but it was a good choice for us. You will need a diesel dually and make sure you find one that will haul it safe within specs.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
We did the same thing. Got tired of 6 mpg and the upkeep of the MH. Now I can have a truck or my Harley to go sightseeing, a lot more room, 11 mpg with a lot less upkeep. It's not for everyone but it was a good choice for us. You will need a diesel dually and make sure you find one that will haul it safe within specs.
We Also did the same thing a couple of times. Feb 2010 We went from a 2002 pace arrow 38 ft to a Jayco designer 35 ft 5th wheel. Much more like home for us. Less maintenance and a truck to use for other things besides towing. Many more amenities in the fiver, Fireplace, King Bed, Ceiling Fan, Lots of closet and storage space.
Mel