Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2014, 07:31 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
I towed travel trailers for 12 years with a Hensley. No sway, no problems. One handed towing.

I now have a 5th wheel. I prefer it to the travel trailer. The 5th wheel is easier to hitch and the ride in the truck is smoother and less "bumpy".

You could upgrade your hitch to a ProPride or Hensley for a lot less money than trading your current truck and trailer and taking a massive depreciation hit to upgrade both. Either hitch would eliminate your problem with sway and stability.
Will upgrading my hitch to the ProPride or Hensley solve the issue of draft when the semi's come rolling past ??
Stan827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan827 View Post
Will upgrading my hitch to the ProPride or Hensley solve the issue of draft when the semi's come rolling past ??
Yes it will. If you do decide to get one try looking on Craigs list for a used one. I found one for $950.00 and ended up selling it for $900.00. I've seen guys find them for a lot less too. They're virtually indestructible so even 7,8,9 year old ones are good deals. Just make sure you get the proper stinger for you trucks receiver hgt. IIRC the run about $200.00.

As a side question. Have you actually weighed your setup and have you done the proper adjustments to return the front of the truck to the correct towing hgt? You really shouldn't be having issues with a new truck and 25' TT. Are your tires all aired up to max? Just asking cause even though an HA or PP are great hitches you may just be a little out on some adjustments and you could save yourself some $$$.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #31

Just spoke to some other folks who upgraded to the ProPride Hitch and were extremely happy with the results. No more sway and no more white knuckled trips with the wind and semi's. Sounds like good advice if we opt out of going to a fifth wheel. Amazingly we have never heard of this hitch before chatting here on IRV2. Certainly never a peep from a RV Dealer.....
Thanks for the Great Advice. I hope many others read this.....
Old 08-25-2014, 12:44 PM   #32

Quote:
... Amazingly we have never heard of this hitch before chatting here on IRV2. Certainly never a peep from a RV Dealer....
I'm not surprised a dealer won't mention it, assuming they know, because it makes the TT purchase seem more expensive, meaning a customer will be less likely to buy the TT. A potential customer might think "great, I'm already spending $$$, now I might have to spend another $$ to make sure I can pull it safely???"
drewtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:07 PM   #33

I go along with cimmingsfan-
Do you have a weight distributing hitch now or just a hitch ball in the socket?
If you have one was it set up for your truck and TT (loaded)?
I tow a 24 ft TT with a 2006 150 with tow package. I have a WD hitch that I set up per the instructions and I have no issues what so ever. I will feel a big rig pass but no big deal. Sounds to me like you have too much weight on the bumper and you are pointed nose high with the truck.
On level ground measure how high your front wheel edge is above the ground then hook up your TT the normal way and take the same measurement at the same spot.
Is there a big difference with the TT on? This might be your problem. Nose of truck pointed high means hard work on the road.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:09 PM   #34

You will wish you would have gone to a 5er much sooner!
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:49 AM   #35

I understand Reese is supposed to also have a hitch similar to the Hensley for much less but have not heard anything about it.
The 5er really sounds better all the time-----
Old 08-30-2014, 07:46 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Google Hensley hitch you will find a YouTube video that explains and demonstrates how it works. There are some videos also on how to hook one up.

You got to ask yourself, are you happy with the rig you have, enough to drop a grand in making it tow better?

Had TT, then 5er now MH. Each has its advantages. Went to diesel with 5er and eliminated the problem with the mountains.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:54 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Google Hensley hitch you will find a YouTube video that explains and demonstrates how it works. There are some videos also on how to hook one up.

You got to ask yourself, are you happy with the rig you have, enough to drop a grand in making it tow better?

Had TT, then 5er now MH. Each has its advantages. Went to diesel with 5er and eliminated the problem with the mountains.
Good point, we are not sure we are that happy with our T/T. Always a learning process and most of it seems to be learning more about ourselves and what we are comfortable with. It is a challenge but have to admit It also has been fun...
Old 08-31-2014, 05:36 PM   #38

Quote:
I understand Reese is supposed to also have a hitch similar to the Hensley for much less but have not heard anything about it.

The best hitch Reese has is the Strait-line dual cam setuphttp://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...e/RP66073.html.
I have a Reese dual cam hitch that I use with my 2007 Chevy 1500 to pull a 24 ft TT comfortably. It's about as good as you can get for $600 or less, but it isn't as good as a Hensley or Propride. When passing a semi at 65 mph or driving with a 35 mph crosswind there is a very small perceptible tugging, or lateral sway, movement with the strait-line hitch. I have pulled the same trailer with the same truck and a conventional WD hitch and there is much more tugging/swaying - enough of a difference that I was willing to spend $540 on the strait-line hitch.

I have not personally used an Equalizer hitch but I hear good things about them.

I know the price of the Hensley and Propride is hard to swallow. I'm anticipating trading my TV and TT for a 32 ft TT and F350 TV and debating whether I should keep the strait-line hitch or pony up for the Propride.
archsnuffy is offline   Reply With Quote