Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #1

Tank drains stuck

Tried injecting oil into cable. No help.
Have a 2007 Raptor toy hauler.
There are three remote drain pulls.
One is stuck, the other grey water somewhat works.
The black drain is OK.
Can I open the bottom up, and replace them?

The local RV shop here does not have competent service people for the Raptor.

Any help would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2014, 09:11 PM   #2

Sure that's a job the average person can handle. I just changed 2 electric valves in our unit (warranty) as I had Northwoods just ship me the valves. There is no one competent in our area either. It was no where near as bad as I thought it was going to be. Basically unbolted the old and reinstalled the new. Just be prepared to spend some time laying on your back.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:24 PM   #3

I'm not specifically familiar with the raptor, but yes drain cables can be replaced if you can gain access to the routing usually thru the bottom.
Take a good look at the bottom cover and see what you need to remove to gain access.
Last year I replaced 2 of 3 drain cables on ours as the cables had plastic selves and they broke at the mount right behind the handles.
After unbolting around the outer edge and looking where everything actually was, I had to remove a hose carrier, 2 brackets on the LP line, then make 2 cuts in the cover to remove a section of it, as the whole cover was 6' wide by at least 8' long. Only needed access to about a 1' x 4' area right inside the frame. Just don't make any cuts in the cover without looking inside first as the valves probably aren't exactly where you would expect. And there may be wiring or plumbing laid inside it.
After getting access, you can search EBay for the length(s) you need. The outer cable is usually clamped to a fixed part of the valve, and the inner cable will fit in and have a bolt crimping it to the valve slider.
It will take a bit of contorting your arms/hands if it is anything like ours, but you can do it.
PDGx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:01 PM   #4

That Keystone probably has Bristol valves and cables; hate them.

It's not hard just aggravating to change. Might as well replace the entire drain/cable asy.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:07 AM   #5

Can solid 1/4 inch rods be fabricated?
Old 04-03-2014, 06:22 AM   #6

He's going to have to open it up first to see the setup. Most valves are not straight in from the pull handles. Mine snaked around 2 offsets and one 90 degree turn.
Are the valves stuck open or closed ?
If by chance they are stuck open and you need to use the trailer, you can add one of those temp valves at the output end of drain pipe. They have standard connections on each side of the valve so they connect just like the pipe cover. I just wouldn't do so if the black and grey tanks are both open with a common drain pipe.
PDGx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:16 AM   #7

Thanks for the responses.
The grey water from the kitchen is stuck open.
Wonder how the electric valves hold up?
As far as 1/4" rod, can't tell till I open it up.
Here goes the assume thing, I thought I could use jack stands underneath to hold the cover while I remove it. Not sure about cutting out a section, but that may be the way to go.
I used a temporary valve that attaches to the bayonet connection at the end while traveling.
Wish me luck.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:36 AM   #8

I'm not impressed with electric valves so far.

If you drop the cover, just drop it to the ground. No need to keep it on stands in your way.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #9

Whether you repair or replace the cables try to coat the rods and the knife valve with antiseize it keeps everything well lubricated and prevents corrosion inside the cables.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:18 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just a friendly hint. Flush the tank(s) well before starting. Raise the drain side of the trailer a few inches higher to keep residual water in the tank from draining on you.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
Just a friendly hint. Flush the tank(s) well before starting. Raise the drain side of the trailer a few inches higher to keep residual water in the tank from draining on you.
Like your hint. I hope it didn't come by the hard way....

I still have not had the opportunity to get under camper to get it fixed.

Tags
tank