Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2016, 07:33 AM   #1

Tanks Open or Closed

I tried to find discussion about leaving drain tanks open or closed for long term stays. My 5er is at home and connected to our septic system with a 3 inch pipe (not a slinky) I can either leave the 3 valves open or closed,but keeping closed will be a pain the butt having to watch fluid levels and going out to pull the dump handles in the winter cold. Water supply and sewer pipe have heat tape and insulation so freezing won't happen.
Like to hear thoughts .
Thanks

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2016, 07:37 AM   #2

If it is at home, why are you using the toilet? I gather it is not winterized? How are you heating the pipes, tanks, and water bay? Anyway, to answer your question I would not like leaving my black tank open to drain even if the sewer line won't freeze. I'd go out once in a while and dump.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:38 AM   #3

Black Tank: Heavy sewerage will not roll out of the tank on its own!

Gray Tank: Corn will not roll out of the tank on its own!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:40 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Leaving the black tank open will create larger issues than having to empty it every few days. The solids need time to solidify otherwise they build up inside and that's when the fun begins.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:06 AM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
NEVER leave your black tank gate open. If you do, waste will form a pyramid of solid stuff that you may not be able to break up and that means you'll have to replace the whole tank.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:07 AM   #6

Agree,,,, ONLY open your black tank when 2/3 3/4 full... And use plenty of water !!!!
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:31 AM   #7

I would keep all my tank valves closed. It may be rare, but where we have property, the sewer and storm drains are the same. When we have heavy rain, the run off overwhelms the sewer/storm drain and we have had several occasions where the water backed up into our sewer hose and would have backed up into into the waste tanks, and then into the RV if the valves had been open. We have found our sewer hose out of position from the storm water trying to intrude. And always leave the black tank closed unless you want the dreaded "poop pyramid".
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:43 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Leaving the black tank valve open while still using the rv's toilet is one of the most common mistakes of a new owner. They either just don't think about how an rv's toilet/black tank system works or fail to use common sense....maybe both. This type of error can lead to a really, really, bad situation.

CLOSE THAT BLACK TANK VALVE!

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:54 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
'nuff said! CLOSE THAT BLACK TANK VALVE!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:00 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I'm lost on why you would have to go out and check water levels, if you have to go check that implies you are not living in it at home. If you are not living in it at home where would the water come from to fill the tanks?
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:09 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Tradewind98
Leave the black tank closed until you need to dump. Last winter I had a leaky black tank valve while hooked up to sewer and it was ugly. The monitor said the tank was low, but in reality it was almost full. With no liquid, all the solids stayed put and kept growing. It took several tankful of added water and chemicals while driving around to clear the mess.
Keep it Closed.
2017 Mini Cooper Clubman
Tradewind98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:57 PM   #12

Hi folks,, I hear the message loud and clear,,CLOSE THE BLACK VALVE till needed to dump. The RV will be occupied in the winter months and won't get the normal winterizing. Heat system will be supplied by a propane 100 lb external tank. The RV is a Presidential Suite 37' 5er. thermal pane windows . I put an indoor /outdoor temp sensor in the utility bay and the tanks stay as warm as the living qtr's. Have seen temps dropping to the low 30's already and
indoor temps were comfortable.
Will take the advise to periodically dump the black tank,,thanks for the expert advise

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:26 PM   #13

I would not leave the grey valves open for extended length of time. At least close and open them a few times every few weeks. Better yet, add Dawn, fill the tank full, then dump. Then leave the valve open for a few weeks. You don't want the seals to dry out or have too much sludge buildup at certain areas of the seal.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:20 PM   #14

The reason being is, an RV toilet is not like a home toilet. Your home toilet uses 1+ gallon of water per flush to carry everything down and out of your toilet where an RV toilet barely uses what ever is in your bowl
2014 Grand Design Solitude, 369RL, #107
2016 Chevy 3500HD, SRW, Diesel/Allison
Gsport is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank