Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2008, 05:08 PM   #15

Thanks Lenny for the comments. I have googled Lippert and not come up with anything substantial to indicate that it is an ongoing problem. I guess if I check more forums, I will find postings by people there. I am trying to gather ammunition to use just in case there is an argument about who is to blame for the whole fiasco. In my mind, if the frame is not well built and crumbles...the rest follows.

Thanks!

Debbi

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2008, 07:40 PM   #16

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Northwood of Va. was using Lippert frames. One of the reasons they closed was not being able to get a frame like they wanted. They build their own in Oregon. Now we have a Arctic Fox built in Va. and tomorrow I got to go get it from the plant in Winchester, Va. I am going to be watching it all the way home. Sure hope it don't come apart. Knock on wood I do have many miles on this fiver and so far no trouble with the frame. I had other problems but the frame none, yet.
Tom

Old 05-22-2008, 07:05 AM   #17

Tom,
Arent you pretty active in the AFNASH group?
When I had a Fox I seem to remember you posting quite regular.
Don
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:56 PM   #18

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Yes Don,
I do post there from time to time. We just got back from Winchester, Va. I had them replace the floor in the bedroom slide, new roof, awning on the slides and decals replaced. We went up Thursday and came back today.(Friday) They had the fiver for almost two weeks repairing this. We stayed at Candy Hill campground in Winchester. From what we saw of the campground it was very nice. I would like to go back there sometime for other than a repair.
Tom
Old 05-23-2008, 07:10 PM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hittintheroad:
Now that your rv is repaired, do you feel confident in hauling it again?
Take care...
Debbi </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I do feel very confident with the rig. One thing I did add was the Air Safe hitch. That dramatically reduces the amount of banging on the frame and on things in the rig. Also, I watched the repairs being made - - the new cross member is twice as thick and is installed with gussets completely differently than the original. Plus, it doesn't have a hole drilled in the middle of it. Several good manufacturers were doing the same thing about that time and found out the hard way you don't drill in the middle of structural beams. The rig has been down into Mexico mainland and Baja then up the west coast to the border and back to Florida - - up into Wisconsin, Mich, Canada and back home. Then up into the Carolinas and back home - - no problems. I feel quite confident with it.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:40 PM   #20

Just for kicks, read the Zieman/Lippert frame warranty. Soo- now you know why the RV manufacturer repaired the frame instead of Lippert.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:21 PM   #21

Update on the torn metal and welds breaking loose saga. The insurance adjuster was here to assess the damage on the rv and he says it will be covered by our insurance even though it was not an accident. (???) He is going to be doing the wheeling and dealing on our behalf, we think. He said the metal that was used was far too thin and that the welding job was not a good one. Now we wait to hear what the next step in the process will be. The RV will be flat bedded out of here we have been told, its just a question of when. We feel the frame manufacturer needs to be held accountable but its not our call. Thanks to everyone for the support and kind words. I will post an update as soon as we know what is happening.

Debbi
Old 06-02-2008, 05:05 PM   #22

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hittintheroad:
The RV will be flat bedded out of here we have been told, its just a question of when.
Debbi </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Be sure you do a careful inspection of your front landing gear when you get it back. Carrying the weight of a fiver on the landing gear while on a hard riding flat bed will be really rough on it. Hopefully they know to block the front end under the frame and get the weight off that gearing, then cable it down.
Bob
Old 06-02-2008, 06:24 PM   #23

Thank you Bob for the information. We have had the insurance adjuster come to visit and he has submitted his report to the dealership but have not had any replies as yet from them so we sit and wait.

Stay tuned for more..

Debbi
Old 06-10-2008, 07:46 AM   #24

My problem with pinbox frame

Lippert frame

Hijacker 4 Way Pivot, Integrated controler, 2004 Prowler Regal Advantage AX6 36.5 FLTS
charlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:01 AM   #25

Hi there, thanks for your posting. It was very scary seeing your photos. Ours are very similar but our beam across the front did not crack or break, it bowed. As we wait for the repairs to be done, we are finding more problems. The insurance adjuster was out and inspected the unit two weeks ago. He says that the frame of the rv is not twisted on the one side, yet the bedroom slide does not flow in and out smoothly anymore and the trim on the inside is popping off so something is amiss. The dealership can not get to it till the fall as they are so busy here. Suits us fine as we manage a Campground for the summer and the unit just sits till the end of October.

Take care and thanks for your posting.

Debbi