Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2018, 06:10 PM   #1

Tekonsha P3 TT settings

Once again I've looked at other forums with minimal information. According to the instructions you have to set it up to a setting of 6 and watch for locking up of the trailer tires.. I'm not sure if they meant a regular uhaul trailer because my 26' TT does not lock up even if I set it to the max of 14. Does anyone have this controller with the proper settings? I also heard I have to adjust my trailer's brakes which I haven't done. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
robledjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2018, 07:21 PM   #2

I'm not sure if someone knows how to move it to the travel trailer forum? Sorry

Edit;
It’s been moved for you.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:54 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Your TT brakes probably need adjusting but there are a number of other issues that could cause that issue. I would recommend taking it to a trailer shop ( not an rv dealer ) and having them inspect the brakes and magnets to make sure everything is in proper working order.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:11 PM   #4

I just changed from a Primus to the P3 and can immediately tell the difference in performance. Make sure your electrical cord connectors, both trailer side and truck side are clean and shiny. Adjust your brakes, drive till warm, then try to adjust your voltage. Have someone apply the emergency lever while you listen at each wheel, you should hear the magnets as a simple test to make sure they are all working. I've read some trailer brakes just will not lock up.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:13 PM   #5

Yea, I've heard some won't lock up too. It's a brand new trailer so I wasn't sure if adjustments to the brakes would be needed.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:18 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
FYI
you can request a thread move or other action by clicking the red triangle at the lower left of the post (Report Post)
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:32 PM   #7

Do you have the P3 manual?
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:33 PM   #8

Yes I do which I followed
Old 10-17-2018, 08:40 PM   #9

My fiver required a whole lot of messing with as far as the controller settings......then I switched to disc brakes, and had to back it way off.....play some with the trailer weight setting
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:32 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a P3 and I wondered the same thing with my new trailer. The trailer has self-adjusting brakes and after a few trips they seem to be fine. Originally at 14 it the brakes wouldn't lock. Now they lock at 8 or 9 depending on if I'm hauling water.
T Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:42 AM   #11

As others have said, there can be several things other than your controller. That being said, I had a P3 set up in my last truck and was very happy with it. I also take our trailer to a dedicated trailer shop for a bearing repack and brake service. Have you tried using it on another trailer with brakes? I'm not clear if you used it on a Uhaul trailer or not. That could help narrow down if it's your truck or the trailer.
skiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by robledjl View Post
It's a brand new trailer so I wasn't sure if adjustments to the brakes would be needed.

Brakes don't work well initially on new trailers because the pads/shoes haven't been bedded in (mated/seated) to the drums.

I did RV transport for a few years and all trailers I picked up had light braking action when I left the factory. They got slightly better as the trip progressed.

There is no end all/be all setting for brake controllers. It varies form truck to truck, trailer to trailer. You just need to follow the instructions in the controller manual for setting up the initial adjustment setting
Bill111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:20 PM   #13

You may find the following information useful for a new trailer with new brakes. I followed a similar procedure when I replaced my brakes and found the braking performance greatly improved. You will have to readjust the brakes after break-in.

The break-in period is a typical phenomenon with drum brakes and especially electric drum brakes. Electric drum brakes will require a break-in period to achieve full performance. This break-in period applies for new axles and any time new brake shoes and/or magnets are installed as part of regular maintenance.
Lippert Components has found through extensive brake testing that the break-in period for our drum brakes can range from 20 to 50 brake applications. Brakes can be seated in by applying approximately 8-10 volts to the trailer brakes at an initial speed of 40 mph and allowing the truck/trailer combination to slow down to 20 or 25 mph. For best results do not use truck brakes during this procedure. The trailer brakes will seat -in faster by using them to stop both the truck and trailer. The easiest method is to apply the trailer brakes using the manual activation lever located on the in-cab brake controller. Care must be taken to not overheat the lining material, therefore brake applications conducted at one mile intervals will suffice.

The driver should feel a noticeable difference in the brake performance during this period, sometimes in as few as 10 applications. After 50 applications, the brake lining material will be fully cured from the heat and develop close to 100% contact with the brake drum surface. This break in period not only seats the shoe lining material but also seats in the brake electro-magnets. During the break-in period, the linings will wear at a faster rate than they do after they are seated in.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:22 PM   #14

Trailer brakes

We just upgraded from the Prodigy 2 to the Prodigy 3. I just wanted to add a comment I have not seen in this thread thus far. Have you used the boost settings? When we use the boost setting "1" we notice a tremendous difference in braking action. But per the instructions "you will first set the power to the brakes before setting any boost setting".

We found the "Q & A" portion of etrailer's website to be very helpful pertaining to all towing issues.

After premature wear of brake drums and $400 of unnecessary expense we take the time to get it right from now on.
abby8242 is offline   Reply With Quote