Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #1

Telescoping Ladders

I'm new to fifth wheels. I have a 2001 Designer Legacy 3110 RTLS. Does anyone carry a telescoping ladder with them for checking for debris on slides before retracting or awning problems or general maintenance. I say telescoping for the narrow base and compactness for storage. They are pricey because they have RV in front of it. A regular won't cut it on the road. Too wide a base for storage. Don't really want to climb the rear ladder every time. Is this a unnecessary item and expense. Any experienced 5ver's have a top ten must have's for their rig. Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
We carry a Little Giant ladder. Not cheap either by so very versatile.

JoAnn

Old 11-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
Well no 5er here but I do have a telescoping ladder. It stores nicely and works great.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We carry a Little Giant ladder. I can't climb it anymore, but figure I can find somebody to climb it if the need arises. Also carry a three-step, which the wife or I can get on if it will reach the need.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I just purchased this one for our new motor home that is on order. Not cheap, but it was the best one on the market. Xtend & Climb 785P Aluminum Telescoping Ladder Type I Professional Series, 15.5-Foot - Amazon.com

It also comes in a 12.5 ft model.
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #6

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We've carried a 12' Tele-Steps ladder for several years that fits very well in our storage compartment. Only complaint about the ladder was the flimsy rubber 'feet' that gave out after a couple of uses. Bought a couple of used shallow soup Thermos containers at a Goodwill store that fit snugly over the lower leg ends. Problem solved for $2.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
After messing around with other ladders, I broke down ans got the same ladder as brobox 2 years ago. It works great & stores nicely in a small space. However it is pricey as others have stated.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #8

I used to use a collapsible ladder from the Sticks and Bricks when we traveled with a travel trailer in order to get on the roof for checking things out (slides, debris, antenna mount maintenance, etc.) since it didn't have a ladder on the back. Now with the 5er, it has a ladder on the back to access the roof. I don't carry the collapsible ladder any longer, but, I do carry a 7' folding style that fits in the bumper so that I can clean windows on the sides when we are gone for a long time (frequently) and other needs that just being on the roof won't serve.

7' Double-Sided Rung Ladder - GP Logistics SLD-D7 - Ladders - Camping World

Fairly sturdy and stable and fits in the bumper so that it takes up zero space from my storage areas and is actually easier to use for cleaning windows and other jobs that require a "reach" up the sides, front and back. If I didn't have a permanent ladder on the trailer, I'd go back to my collapsible ladder in a heart beat. For the space it took up it was worth having in the back of the pickup. That was my only complaint about it...the space it occupied. Hard to set things on top of it (it isn't flat in its collapsed state) and a bit heavy to try and put on top of anything and it is aluminum so that it is "slick" and wouldn't stay put, so, I just let it slide around in the back of the pickup truck.

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:30 AM   #9

We carry a collapsible aluminum ladder and use it all the time. We chise to not have a rear ladder put on our rig and find that the collapsible aluminum one is much more versitile and only take 30 seconds to set up and tear down. We bought ours at Ace Hardware at Christmastime a few years ago for $99. Great deal!
Old 11-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #10

PLEASE be careful with these ladders. I bought them for my estimators and job sups. Two of them collapsed. I broke a leg, the other an ankle. The secret is do not be in a hurry to set them up - - take your time to make sure they lock at every step. Great ladders if they don't collapse with you near the top step.
Bob
Old 11-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiverBob View Post
PLEASE be careful with these ladders. I bought them for my estimators and job sups. Two of them collapsed. I broke a leg, the other an ankle. The secret is do not be in a hurry to set them up - - take your time to make sure they lock at every step. Great ladders if they don't collapse with you near the top step.
Bob
Tell me....was the collapse due to operator error then? Until you mentioned it I thought it was fool proof.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #12

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
Tell me....was the collapse due to operator error then? Until you mentioned it I thought it was fool proof.
Can't answer for Fiverbob, but the instructions are very specific about how to extend the ladder, particularly if only being partially extended. Before I bought ours, I read some of the stories and was forewarned. I have used ours many times without problem, but I'm very careful about my opening sequence and then doing the ladder 'bounce' on the ground before climbing. Closing the ladder requires care also. If you're holding the ladder in the wrong place, you can get a nasty pinch. Again, that's in the instructions.

My main beef with these ladders were the cheap 'feet'. Once the feet get pushed up into the ladder tubes, it's like climbing a ladder with hollow legs that can sink into anything except asphalt or very hard surfaces. I solved that issue as outlined in my previous post.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
Boy, hard to know that answer. It is easy to get in a hurry when busy. I know I watched mine quite closely and followed directions. The company paid the hospital bills so I assume this was not the first issue on them. This was about 20 years or so ago when they first came out. I loved using them but sure not when they started failing. We sent them back for a full refund and went back to our folding ladders - - lot more clumsy and heavy but the didn't collapse on your leg.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Well I was leaning toward purchasing one but now, not so sure. When I was 20 someting a 20' fall, I just picked myself up, dusted myself off and climbed back on. Now a 20' fall..... would be a thud, moan and DW hauling me off in a cart. Think I will look them over really closely. Thanks again for the warning!

Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote