Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2015, 05:19 PM   #1

Tell me I can keep them...

What sort of pots and pans do you keep and actually use in your 5er and what would you estimate their weight at?

Is an 18 lb set of really nice stainless steel pots and pans too much or overkill for a full-time 5er kitchen?

The cargo carrying capacity of our new 5er is 2,930 lbs.

Hubby seems to be hinting that I may have to part with some of my favorite kitchen things to stay within that weight restriction.

I have a very nice Cuisinart stainless steel pan set, that it took me nearly 35 years and numerous cheap sets to finally acquire, and I'm afraid it may be on his mental list of things to go for weight control reasons.

This pan set came with an original shipping weight of 18.8 lbs (that included the box and packing material). They each have a metal lid. I absolutely love the set!

I do have another set of pots and pans, the Green Pan version of the non-stick pans. The shipping weight of the complete set, according to Amazon, is approx. 19 lbs. Must be the glass lids adding the extra weight because the pans are very light to handle. I do like these pans but I don't think they will hold up nearly as long as the stainless ones will. I also question the toxicity of the non-stick.

Is 18 lbs of pots and pans (complete set) unreasonable to be carrying in a 5er? I may be willing to part with the ones I don't use often but I really like the whole set.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2015, 05:26 PM   #2

We carry a set of Caphalon pots and pans DW found at Kohls several years ago. We also have a 12 inch cast iron and a couple of 8 inch pans. All good quality stuff. We also have a spaghetti pot, and waffle maker. We eat on Corel dishes, and have the same flat ware we have in the house. DW refuses to skimp on kitchen stuff. Food may not be top priority, but we eat good. Home, RV makes no difference in our diet.

450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 05:43 PM   #3

With nearly 3000 pounds of capacity, I would think you could find room for 18 lbs of pots. If you plan on cooking for yourself in a similar manner to what you do at home, you should plan on carrying the tools you need to do that. If your husband makes an issue out of it, I know my instant reaction would be to push him to give up an equal weight in tools or things that he values.

But then I'm the person who plans to take my KitchenAid mixer along lol.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:04 PM   #4

He does have a LOT of tools he's paring down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njtroy View Post
With nearly 3000 pounds of capacity, I would think you could find room for 18 lbs of pots. If you plan on cooking for yourself in a similar manner to what you do at home, you should plan on carrying the tools you need to do that. If your husband makes an issue out of it, I know my instant reaction would be to push him to give up an equal weight in tools or things that he values.

But then I'm the person who plans to take my KitchenAid mixer along lol.
LOL He likes to eat what I cook so that will carry some weight right there (no pun intended).

He already knows there is no way I'm going anywhere without the Vitamix and the electric Instant Pot pressure cooker/rice cooker/steamer. We both drink coffee so you can be sure there will be a coffee maker somewhere in that kitchen too! Due to weakness and pain in my hands I can barely use a handheld can opener so the electric one is going in the 5er as well.

The kitchen is one place I don't really want to scrimp. If cooking gets too complicated or difficult because I don't have the things I need to do the job while also making it as easy as possible...cooking will probably be more of a chore than a pleasure and that could affect both of our tastebuds! lol

This is our first 5er and I'm just really unsure about what all of our stuff weighs. I suggested maybe loading it the way we think we want it, take it to the scale at the truck stop and weigh it. If we're good weight-wise, that's wonderful. If something has to go, then we'll weed thru what's in there and pare down some more.

These are just all sorts of things going through my mind and we haven't even had the PDI walkthrough yet! lol

Anticipation coupled with excitement, that is for sure. We've parted with a LOT of things already in our downsizing process but I just don't want regrets later when thinking, darn it, I used to have that and we sold it/gave it away/parted with it.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:05 PM   #5

Your husband needs to stop reading these forums and relax a little. Lol.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:07 PM   #6

We have Corelle too :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
We carry a set of Caphalon pots and pans DW found at Kohls several years ago. We also have a 12 inch cast iron and a couple of 8 inch pans. All good quality stuff. We also have a spaghetti pot, and waffle maker. We eat on Corel dishes, and have the same flat ware we have in the house. DW refuses to skimp on kitchen stuff. Food may not be top priority, but we eat good. Home, RV makes no difference in our diet.
I've had the same set of Corelle dishes for years and years. Love them, nice and light to handle so they don't hurt my wrists to hold them. They will be going with us in the 5er, although we will probably pare it down to just 2 or 4 of everything in the set.

I have a cast iron skillet that I love also...I'm not sure I can convince him it needs to be in the 5er. lol He's just trying to be cautious but I don't want any regrets when I realize that we very well could have kept some of my favorite kitchen things but didn't.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvallee View Post
Your husband needs to stop reading these forums and relax a little. Lol.
LOL I think I actually read these forums more than he does. He's big into the specs and safety issues. I'm all for safety too...but a girl needs kitchen stuff!

I know he's not looking forward to parting with some of his tools either; but, he'll get through them and pare them down to essentials and nice to haves.

I think the prepping phase (downsizing) has been the hardest and most time-consuming part of this process so far.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:42 PM   #8

If he expects you to cook up any meal, then you need the right tools to do the job, just like the ones he needs to maintain your RV. Tell him to "lighten up if necessary.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:02 PM   #9

Evergreen Owners Club
Take your stainless steel set even if it puts the 5er 18 pounds overweight. A lady needs her pots and pans!!!
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:04 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I am now only carrying one sauce pan, iron dutch oven, 12" & 8" nonstick fry pans.
One cookie sheet, foil 8x8 pans.
I do have a large iron griddle and fry pan that I take when we will have an outdoor cook fire.

I found I seldom used all three sauce pans. Come to think of it, I have never used the iron dutch oven in the rig. Maybe I'll start. :-)
Leslie
2003 Winnebago Winnie 29B
Old 04-19-2015, 05:22 PM   #11

We cook in our RV. If you cook also and enjoy cooking as much as we do, the quality of your cookware is as important as your knives. We us cast iron Le Creuset and quality aluminum skillets and pans. Basically the same as we use at home. I don't worry about the weight any longer.

Joe
Old 04-19-2015, 05:27 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
18 pounds is nothing compared to the price of going out to dinner every night
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:28 PM   #13

Keep the pots and cut weight somewhere else if you even need to with that carrying capacity.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:32 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We started with stuff my Wife had in the kitchen at home when we went full time.. Sadly (For me) she brought HER favorite pots and pans.. Not mine.

I have since replaced some that she did a fairly good job of runing with quality T-Fal Pro series (Ferromagnetic) and Lodge Cast Iron and such.

(Ferromagnetic is needed for my Induction "burner")

Thankfully The Kitchen Collection gave me a birthday present this year.. This is a discount store and the closest store had a going out of business sale (The next nearest store which is in my 'Range' every few months is still there) so the prices got real, real, nice.