Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2015, 06:41 AM   #1

Temperature Alert

We went out for our second trip in our new Cardinal by FR. While out at supper and running some errands about 2 hours away from the camper. We came home to 3 dogs panting heavily and the temp in the coach was 92 degrees. I about had a heart attack thinking what if we would have been away longer. The campground breaker had tripped. Once when we were gone and once we returned. The campground responded very quickly after the fact but I would like something that monitors the temp of the coach for my phone so it will alert us if there is something wrong again. I felt so guilty leaving my babies and that happening.. Too hot to leave the windows open as well. If there isn't an app for our phones maybe we can get one or find something we can use. I'm in the process of research now. I hope what I find out I can share with other to prevent this happening to someone else and the outcome wasn't as well as my came out. We were so lucky we come back when we did.
Justwinginit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2015, 07:55 AM   #2

You have just experienced my greatest fear. Thank goodness it came out all right. There are a few ways of monitoring the temperature in the RV, with most of them being pretty technical. I ended up putting a camera in the rig and watching it via my hotspot. I can point it at my indoor/outdoor temperature monitor and see what the temp's are. Google around the popular RV forums and you will find many threads addressing this issue. There is a device called "Cloud Cam" that seems appropriate for less technical persons. Remember, all devices used to monitor temp's in the rig must run on some sort of battery to continue to operate when the rig loses power. Good luck.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:02 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Besides monitoring the temperature, as a failsafe you can replace one of your 12 volt vents with a Fantastic Vent model that senses temperature and will automatically open a the vent and turn on the fan to exhaust the hot air in the rig.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:14 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I travel with my dogs as well. Temperature has always been a huge concern.
I have a animalarm unit. It can be plugged in also runs on batteries.
You set the high and low temp on the unit. It will send a text to your phone if temps go above or below your set temps. You can also call the unit and it will text you back telling you temp in the RV and also the signal strength and battery charge on the unit. I had a issue with the unit the company was wonderful to deal with. Cannot tell you what piece of mind this unit gives me.
Sunova37L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:44 AM   #5

It might be both more effective and easier to monitor the presence of shore power instead of temperature. If you are alerted to a power failure, you will be aware of the problem before the temperature go up.

You could easily adapt a home security system such as http://www.amazon.com/Toppor-Wireless-Security-Alarm-System/dp/B00OT6G2YE/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1432650695&sr=8-16&keywords=wireless+voltage+alarm+phone.

Get a 120 vac relay and connect the coil to any of your 120v outlets. Then connect the relay contacts in place of one of the system's wired sensors.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:51 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
Besides monitoring the temperature, as a failsafe you can replace one of your 12 volt vents with a Fantastic Vent model that senses temperature and will automatically open a the vent and turn on the fan to exhaust the hot air in the rig.
Better yet... if your generator has an auto-start function, use that. I activate my autostart every time I plug into a campground. If the elec. dies for whatever reason, my gennie will kick in whenever needed (including when the A/C triggers).

If your gennie doesn't have this feature, it is available for some models/brands as an add-on.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
Better yet... if your generator has an auto-start function, use that. I activate my autostart every time I plug into a campground. If the elec. dies for whatever reason, my gennie will kick in whenever needed (including when the A/C triggers).

If your gennie doesn't have this feature, it is available for some models/brands as an add-on.
I do the same in our MH but his fiver probably doesn't have a generator.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:39 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingCajun View Post
I do the same in our MH but his fiver probably doesn't have a generator.
My bad... sorry, I didn't notice that.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:33 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are also security companies that can put a sensor in your rv that can call or text your cell phone if power is lost or heat climbs. (or sinks)

$$$$ for install and $$ a month usually

They can also notify you if someone breaks in while you are out to lunch.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:10 PM   #10

Thank you

Thanks for all the ideas. Hubby is in the process of putting a generator in. A gas generator. He plans on putting an auto switch if electric goes off. But he's not done with the generator yet. So I am happy to see the replies and will be looking into all the suggestions. Thanks. I don't ever want that to happen again. Maybe after a while I will be able to leave again for some time. The rest of our trip I stayed close by. And watched others coaches around me LOL The ones I knew had dogs. I became paranoid.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunova37L View Post
I travel with my dogs as well. Temperature has always been a huge concern.
I have a animalarm unit. It can be plugged in also runs on batteries.
You set the high and low temp on the unit. It will send a text to your phone if temps go above or below your set temps. You can also call the unit and it will text you back telling you temp in the RV and also the signal strength and battery charge on the unit. I had a issue with the unit the company was wonderful to deal with. Cannot tell you what piece of mind this unit gives me.

Where did you buy yours? I find it but only on British websites. Prices are in pounds. I can't find it selling in the USA
Old 06-04-2015, 12:52 PM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Check out www.connectsense.com . I have their temperature and humidity sensor. Cost $100 and change? I think (don't remember exactly). Can be set to monitor temperature and humidity and transmit it to the internet via my router every 5, 15, 30, etc. minutes. My wife worries about the dogs, so I have it doing it every 5 minutes. Does'nt use hardly any bandwidth. If the temperature goes above one that I set, it calls my cell phone and gives me a message. You can also go to the website on your phone and see the temperature and humidity every 5 min. for the last hour. Was a little hard to set up but their tech line walked me through it. Very satisfied wife makes for peaceful life.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually Aisin 4:10 Air ride
2015 40RE Augusta Luxe
martins192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:45 AM   #13

I don't have anything Apple. I have a nextbook HP and a samsung phone. It looks like you need an Ipad or IPhone. If I'm wrong let me know. I'm still checking into this though Haven't given up. Hubby is also still installing the generator and has plans on putting a auto start when electric goes off.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:01 AM   #14

Nor'easters Club
If your talking about connectsense I have nothing apple either. I set it up using my Dell laptop and use a Samsung Galaxy S 5.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually Aisin 4:10 Air ride
2015 40RE Augusta Luxe
martins192 is offline   Reply With Quote