Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2009, 12:05 AM   #1

Question Testing Fiver Brakes

What is the best method to determine if the fiver brakes are functioning correctly? An inspection can only reveal so much but how do you know if the brakes are working as well as possible?
I'm just trying to insure I have the best brakes possible with this setup.
I'm all ears. Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2009, 06:29 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintnut View Post
What is the best method to determine if the fiver brakes are functioning correctly?

Test them.
When I repack my bearing each year I always check for proper brake application. While each wheel is off the ground I spin the hub by hand. If I have help I get the other person to apply the brakes to check if the wheel comes to a stop. If someone is not there to help me I rig up a string to the brake lever in the truck and run the string back to where the wheel is located.
You can also apply the brakes manually when you are going slowly on a gravel road. You should be able to see all the tires lock up on the trailer.
tnance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:32 AM   #3

Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnance View Post

Test them.
When I repack my bearing each year I always check for proper brake application. While each wheel is off the ground I spin the hub by hand. If I have help I get the other person to apply the brakes to check if the wheel comes to a stop. If someone is not there to help me I rig up a string to the brake lever in the truck and run the string back to where the wheel is located.
You can also apply the brakes manually when you are going slowly on a gravel road. You should be able to see all the tires lock up on the trailer.
That's the same way I do Our 5er. Both ways work. Or gravel parking Lot.
Wingnut57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:43 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have seen truck drivers (Over the road Semi) hook up, verify the hitch is latched, set the brakes on the trailer manually THEN try to pull the tractor out from under the trailer.. If they are successful the hitch is not properly latched,,, If the trailer moves the trailer brakes don't work (NOTE: on a 5-th wheel camper you might drag it) and if it don't move, they get out and raise the jacks (You note they do that last just in case)

This does not, however, show proper operation, only that you can lock 'em up

With electric brakes it will move a short distance
Old 03-20-2009, 08:45 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
this is a great way to test the brakes. Additionally I always do this procedure, just as John-D explained, to insure I am hitched up correctly. I raise the landing jacks just off the ground and then perform this check. That way if it comes unhitched, it won't hit the bed rails.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #6

Another way is to measure the amp draw at the trailer. Each magnet draws about 3-4 amps so, 4 wheels = 15-16 amps. This only checks the magnets not the mechanical braked themselves. Do both checks to see if brakes are working and each magnet is also working in each hub.
Paul R. Haller
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:54 PM   #7

I always do the tug on the trailer after hitch is locked thing.

Regularly taking the drums off for wheel bearing repack, brake cleaning and adjustment is also a must.

Also, I've found a high end brake controller makes a huge difference in smoothness, stopping power, and overall brake performance.

Both Dexter and Al-Ko have very nice downloadable pdf manuals for free.

Under "Service Information" select complete service manual.

http://www.dexteraxle.com/products___literature

And here, just click on "Owner's Manual".

http://www.al-kousa.com/

Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote