Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-02-2016, 07:10 PM   #15
When trucks become heavily modified as this, it's very hard to say if it's overloaded or not. The original specs are for the factory configuration. With the mods, what are the specs and limits? The only way to know is to physically have the truck tested by the same company the big 3 use to test and certify there's. I think he will be just fine.

Aaron, Erica and Lizzy and Abby the Labs.
2001 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually Diesel
5ver TBA
Airmech is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2016, 12:02 PM   #16
They put the he "h" in heavy

2011 Montana-3400RL
Towed by[B]'99 F-350 SD PSD DRW Lariat
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:36 PM   #17
glennwest has experience with the Tetons. Your hitch weight will be more than 5k, so plan for that. You might put about 3T of something on your truck to see how it handles it. Outside of that, with the short distance, I think you will be ok.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:53 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Mid Atlantic Campers
The truck may be "able" to handle it, but is it "legal". Not unless it gets recertified. Overweight fines run about $100/lb, but private vehicles are rarely caught. Another issue is the brakes. Were they upgraded? It's easy to get a trailer moving, but can you get it stopped? And one other issue - the frame of the truck is designed to handle the original design weight. Without frame modifications it could be trouble.
RKamperRV...(Rick)...Millersville, PA
2006 Crossroads Cruiser CF32BL | 2012 Ford F350 Crew Cab Dually
Been to all 48 lower continental states once! Starting over...
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:48 AM   #19
Tetons were never designed to be towed with LDTs. Especially the 3 axle units. In the year you looking at no ldt was rated that high. So Teton didn't mind putting 25% on pin. Tows great this way too. I have towed mine with a 2012 dually. I don't recommend it to anyone. If just moving it, flat road, sure. But on a regular tow, I wouldn't. Mine literally bowed my overload springs backwards. You are heavier than me.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:57 AM   #20
Thank you Guys,
i looks like from what i read on here, that i might be ok, pulling the Teton home.
I will be going back roads, rather than interstate and take it easy. For now, i still got to install a fifth wheel hitch on my truck, but will be searching for one, i can use later on a larger truck.
i plan on pulling here home in about 3 weeks, so i let you guys know, how it went at that time...
at least i would not have to worry about my springs bending backwards, as i donít have any :-) the 3-link air ride suspension i have is from a peterbilt and therefore strong enough.
When i install the hitch, i do plan on bolting a 1/2 inch steel plate all the way across the frame rails below the bed. this will also stiffen my rear frame above the axles :-)
dieselsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:45 AM   #21
The 1998 (oldest brochure I have, even though I did own a 1997) Teton Homes brochure says that the empty (dry) weight is from 17,000 to 19,200 pounds and the Pin (dry) weight can range from 3,600 to 7,600 pounds. Depends upon which "Royal" you have. Brochure lists 9 models, some with two and some with three slide outs. Hope you get your rig home safely.

j2catfish is offline   Reply With Quote