Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Depends on what trailer you're getting and what the front cap set up is like. Because, depending on that, you may not "need" a sliding hitch.
The "best" for a short bed would be a PullRite SuperGlide.

A Reese Sidewinder is a pinbox replacement, not a hitch.
I'm considering either Sanibel by primetime or a gateway by heartland.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Depends on what trailer you're getting and what the front cap set up is like. Because, depending on that, you may not "need" a sliding hitch. The "best" for a short bed would be a PullRite SuperGlide. A Reese Sidewinder is a pinbox replacement, not a hitch.
Just curious here. What makes a PullRite superglide the "best" for a shortbed ? Besides having to use an adapter plate. I know each make has it's benefits and tricks. What is PullRites trick for short beds that the others don't have that make it the best choice ?

Old 12-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
The PullRite Superglide is an automatic sliding hitch. The purpose of the cam on the 5th wheel pinbox is to slide the hitch rearward as the trailer turns from the truck's axis - the more the trailer turns to either side, the more rearward the hitch moves.

The other sliding hitches are predominately manual sliders where the driver has to get out, pull a handle and drive forward to slide the hitch back. The problem with manual sliders is (1.) people forget to use them or (2.) people think they're not going to have to turn "that tight".

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #18

[QUOTE="RustyJC;1850799"The problem with manual sliders is (1.) people forget to use them or

Now that's pretty scary knowing that there are people that have a slider and forget they do and then wreck their cab are sharing the same road I am.
I guess that would make it the "best" for dummies then....lol
Just joking.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe N View Post
I'm considering either Sanibel by primetime or a gateway by heartland.
Neither of them seem to have a molded front cap for tighter turning, like this:

Those are molded deeply to allow tighter turns.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
The best in my opinion is the Reese. Order the factory fiver prep and it just drops in. They also come with the 7 way RV plug in the bed. I have two sliders, Reese also but never use them in the rear position so on this 13 Ford I didn't get a slider. The rails just waste room in the bed. And the non slider is about $800 less money. The short bed Ford SD trucks are 6 foot nine inches long. Can pull most fivers with no need for a slider. The head comes off the Reese by it self, then you lift out the base, one man job and no tools required. This is a18K Reese. Also comes in a 25K for the bigger trucks.
I ordered the fifth wheel prep kit but the fifth wheel that I also could have added required an 8 foot bed. That is the reason I was thinking that I need a slider.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #21

Quote:
I ordered the fifth wheel prep kit but the fifth wheel that I also could have added required an 8 foot bed. That is the reason I was thinking that I need a slider.
A lot of fivers now come with the extended fifth wheel pin and the indented sides, and were meant to be pulled with a short bed truck. Like the one pictured 2 posts back. We pulled one for years with just the extended hitch with no problems. It was a full square front, 1994 jayco. Could jackknife 90 degrees and still have a little room to spare. I never like to jackknife any trailer as it just screws the suspension and tires into the ground. No need to turn that tight. Pulled a 22 foot boat behind the fiver a lot, and you did not want to jackknife a triple rig.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Yeah Joe, I spent about about year off and on researching 5ers and 5th wheels before I purchased both.
There are many types of 5th wheels that do all kinds of different things. If any 5th wheel was the best ever and far superior than the others the others would be out of business.
Keep doing your research like you are on here and other places and get what fits your needs and budget.
I ended with my set up because it fits my needs of pulling a 5vr and gooseneck, good reviews , has a slider for my shortbed , fit my budget and it leaves my bed clear in the off season.
Happy Camping
Old 12-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
All Heartland lines including Gateway, have the 88 degree radius. So no slider needed with that unit. We have the factory prep and the Reese 18k in our short bed. Very easy as stated earlier in the thread and tows perfectly. I've heard some say 88 isn't 90 degrees. However, I have never even come close to a 90 degree turn with my 40 foot rig and I've been in some very tight spots. Coming from a 36' TT, I'm not so worried about 90 degrees. Can't get close to that with a TT.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #24

Shortbed

I have a GMC short bed and pull a Heartland Bighorn 3070RL, my hitch is a Trailer Saver BD3 and we have had good luck so far. It all depends on your trailer manufacturer. The design of the front cap is the trick.
Westwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #25

I also have a f250 dual cab diesel with a 61/2 bed. I installed a slider hitch 16K capacity, make sure you get the ford mounting brackets that attach the hitch to the frame not the bed. I pull a prowler 24.5 but really it measures 27.5 from pin to back of trailer. I can turn nearly 90 degrees and not hit my cab - on level ground. Doesn't take 10 seconds to get out pull the lever and slide it back 9". Trailer weights out about 9 to 9.5 K. Just make sure it is a major brand, it the old argument Chevrolet or Ford!
Old 12-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear tucson View Post
I also have a f250 dual cab diesel with a 61/2 bed. I installed a slider hitch 16K capacity, make sure you get the ford mounting brackets that attach the hitch to the frame not the bed. I pull a prowler 24.5 but really it measures 27.5 from pin to back of trailer. I can turn nearly 90 degrees and not hit my cab - on level ground. Doesn't take 10 seconds to get out pull the lever and slide it back 9". Trailer weights out about 9 to 9.5 K. Just make sure it is a major brand, it the old argument Chevrolet or Ford!
All it takes is crossing a slight swale while in a hard turn and the front wheels getting higher than the back to turn the geometry against you, trust me, I know this too well.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #27

A longbed truck, you'll appreciate the ride as well.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #28

My Ford is a 2 wheel drive so it does not stand as tall as 4 wheelers. I did lower the pin box on the trailer to get a good clearance between the trailer and the bed of the truck, now I have 8" clearance and on flat road my trailer is dead level front to back. My driveway drops very fast to my home and with 8" I come close but don't hit the trailer. However, on a very sharp turn with a large drop on the front of the truck you have to watch. What ever you install you just have to get use to your own rig and learn its limitations.