Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
The best fifth wheel hitch for short bed truck

I'm having a F250 built with a six and half foot bed and I'm looking for input on the best fifth wheel hitch for this size truck bed.

Joe N is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
You will need a slider hitch like a SideWinder. It tilts fore and aft, and side to side.

H-Rambler25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
Depends on what trailer you're getting and what the front cap set up is like. Because, depending on that, you may not "need" a sliding hitch.
The "best" for a short bed would be a PullRite SuperGlide.

A Reese Sidewinder is a pinbox replacement, not a hitch.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #4
Here's another option if you like your bed clear during the off season. It has no rails. B&W Companion slider. It's has a manual slide but just takes a pull of a lever. Google the reviews , I believe you'll find them favorable. It comes out in a matter minutes. It's a 2 man job to carry it out, my son (150 lbs) and I can handle it. Fits my needs. The one in the pic is an 18K. That's their biggest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1146099720.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	439.4 KB
ID:	52251   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1939918703.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	445.0 KB
ID:	52252  

Heavyhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
What are you going to pull? Makes a big difference as to the answer but to generalize I would suggest a hitch that tilts side to side and front to back. I have a slider and it has really come in handy a few times. Both for my rig and for a friends who truck died while traveling with us. I like options and the slider gives me that and piece of mind. It's like insurance - I have it and hope I never need it - but am really thankful for it if I need it.
Chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #6
I'm pretty sure they all have side to side and front to back movement.
Heavyhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:06 PM   #7
I went through the same exercise, talked to people, lurked on RV forums, looked at different manufacturers. That's why I decided on B&W Companion. Your requirements may be different.
2004.5 GMC SLT CCLB, Ride Rites, Turbo brake, EFI Live
2012 Arctic Fox 29 5T 5th Airborne, B&W, Prodigy
Papillon navigators Lily, Buddy and Willow
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:37 AM   #8
My friend has a slider and swears by it. Don't remember what brand, though, sorry.
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:30 AM   #9
Originally Posted by Joe N View Post
I'm having a F250 built with a six and half foot bed and I'm looking for input on the best fifth wheel hitch for this size truck bed.
The best in my opinion is the Reese. Order the factory fiver prep and it just drops in. They also come with the 7 way RV plug in the bed. I have two sliders, Reese also but never use them in the rear position so on this 13 Ford I didn't get a slider. The rails just waste room in the bed. And the non slider is about $800 less money. The short bed Ford SD trucks are 6 foot nine inches long. Can pull most fivers with no need for a slider. The head comes off the Reese by it self, then you lift out the base, one man job and no tools required. This is a18K Reese. Also comes in a 25K for the bigger trucks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	52256  
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:15 AM   #10
I have the same size truck bed and as someone said it depends on the 5th wheel, mine does not need a slider.
DannyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
The first thing you must find out is whether or not you need a sliding hitch. That will determine the brands and models of hitches you can then consider for your application. Whether or not you need a slider will depend on hitch placement in the bed relative to the cab, pinbox and front cap configurations.

With a short bed truck (not the optimum for 5th wheel towing), the unfortunate reality is that you never need a slider - until you suddenly do when the cap hits the cab rear pillar or the rear glass shatters.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Parked just down the road from us is a Holiday Rambler 5er and it has two goonies that have been patched on the front cap. Looks like a home repair job. They are at the right location for a short bed truck. I have not seen a truck there, so I do not know what damage was done to the truck.

With a shortie and no slider hitch it is generally if you will hit the truck, but when....
If I had to pull with a shortie, I'd get a slider and use it.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #13
This depends on how much money you want to spend. All of the slider hitches manufacture are good with some being better than others and cost more.

I have a 15K slider Reese hitch that has been in two different trucks one a Chevy gasser and the other a Ram Mega Cab diesel, both are short bed trucks. Now with my 5er the cap is design for 88 deg of movement before the slider is required. So I do not need to use a slider hitch that much when pulling the 5er on the highway. I have used the slider in both trucks when I am mainly backing into my driveway at home or sometimes in campgrounds due to the narrow sites and camp ground roads. So for me a manual slider is the best and offers the best cost price value compared to a Pull Right Slider hitch.

I was always told there are two types of users who pull with a short bed truck those that have hit the cab and those that will hit the cab some day. When you are in a campground walk around and look at the short bed truck cabs if you see a dent in the rear pillar; they have then hit the 5er backing up.

Jim W.
Jim & Jill
Sold: 2010 318SAB Cougar:New: 2016 Cedar Creek 34RL. 2008 Dodge 6.7LCummins the original 6.7L engine, w/68RFE Auto
jimcumminsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I never used my slider hitch when I had my short bed until I popped the back window out. In my opinion the best auto slider is the Pull-Rite; hands down. The drawback is that Pull-Rite adds a plate to your kingpin that has to be removed if towed by a TV that something other than Pull-Rite (ie your servicing dealer). But to me the ease of towing with the Pull-Rite overrides that drawback.

The manual sliders work well as long as you use it periodically and keep the mechanism (including the rails the hitch slides on) lubricated. Otherwise the day you NEED to slide it, it will be frozen in place.

John, Joyce & Libby the Yellow Lab. - Fulltime since `08

2005 Kountry Star FW-35LKSA by Newmar
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote