Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2018, 06:08 PM   #43

Gulf Streamers Club
The CH-751 key is used everywhere. The Lawn Sprinkler boxes and the Emergency Generator doors at the facility I work at are keyed CH-751 and I am sure you could find it used in several other RV and non RV applications. I carry one just because it is so common though none of my RVs use it anymore. You will also find the entrance doors are all keyed with a master key so the dealership does not have to find the key for each separate unit they have on the lot. Master key might be different for each manufacturer but they will all have the entrance door master keyed. I had a locksmith re-key my entrance door on the coach and the Travel trailer when I bought them. I had the dead bolts re-keyed to the same key I use for my house doors so I only have to carry one key with me for my RVs and property.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2018, 06:30 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
CH 751 keys

Well this has been a disheartening thread. I had to go look at my the keys for my '05 Monaco and sure enough there's my CH 751 bay doors key but I do have a separate entry door dead bolt key, and ignition key and a separate fuel door key. I'm still scratching my head about the key required for the fuel access door yet the large door it's in doesn't lock .... go figure ???
MI FLA Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:28 PM   #45

I had an alarm installed. The entry door and all the storage doors are alarmed. At least it will make a bunch of noise while they are stealing my stuff.
bkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:06 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizfreleng View Post
Is what the parts counterman at the RV dealer in Orange Park FL told me when I asked him to make a couple of copies of the keys for the storage lockers around the outside of my 2004 Keystone Cougar 5th wheel. Sure enough. He walked down an aisle, grabbed a package of 3 and brought them back. Opened the package and laid my key against one, perfect match. I was flabbergasted! What is the use of a key if everyone has the same one? There has to be more to this story.
If anyone needs some 751 keys I have a bunch to give away - just pay the postage. See my classified ad on this web site (or click on this link)
Free CH751 compartment keys - read the ad! - RV & Motorhome Classifieds
I can no longer edit the ad, you need to send a small padded envelope - the keys tore the paper envelope while in the postal service sorting machines.

And someone mentioned an alarm... I've added a plunger switch (like what is used on a car door for the courtesy lamp) in each storage compartment to turn on a light. I could easily add a diode and a wire so opening any compartment door would set off an alarm.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:39 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post

And someone mentioned an alarm... I've added a plunger switch (like what is used on a car door for the courtesy lamp) in each storage compartment to turn on a light. I could easily add a diode and a wire so opening any compartment door would set off an alarm.

Did you ever add a switch to turn on a light when you opened the entrance door or maybe turned on a light (grab bar maybe) when you unlocked the door with the remote? I would like to be able to do that.
MI FLA Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:57 PM   #48

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkennedy View Post
I had an alarm installed. The entry door and all the storage doors are alarmed. At least it will make a bunch of noise while they are stealing my stuff.
What kind of alarm system are you using? I have looked at some and would like to have information on your preferences and why.

cheri
Cherilanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:00 AM   #49

Mine came with a "S" key for the outside compartments and the water access. I had to have a locksmith research and special order them for me to get extras.... : 0
Cherilanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:15 AM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarhillctd View Post
Not only are many RV storage door locks opened with the 751 key but many office file cabinets and lower end desk drawers are as well.
Also, the cabinet for my irrigation controls...
Old 12-10-2018, 01:43 AM   #51

The alarm I have in the RV is a Viper car alarm with a 2-way remote. It will notify me the alarm has been activated up to a mile from the RV. I have the same unit in my off-road trail rig. All of the outside storage doors have a plunger switch for the cargo lights so the alarm is wired into that through the door trigger wire in the alarm's harness. Had to add a trigger to the entry door. It also kills the ignition and fuel pump. The blinking alarm light is in the top of my acrylic door grab handle, so at night the entire handle blinks a soft red. Door locks are manual, so cannot make it lock/unlock doors. The alarms are around $200. I installed them myself because a friend of mine is a authorized alarm installer and has the wiring diagrams, and I have a lot of experience with vehicle wiring. The RV alarm install was easier than a car because there was a lot more room to hide the control box, and no electronic door locks to wire.

Edit: the reason I went with Vipers is they are very reliable, my alarm installer buddy swears by them, and I had one in my trail rig for about 20 years. It still worked until the last key fob burned out and they are no longer available.

I didn't bother with changing the locks on the storage doors. The bottom of the doors overhang the floor of the storage areas. I think someone could just grab the bottom of the doors and pull hard to break the latches so there was no point in changing the locks. I would rather have them use a key, set off the alarm, grab a few things and run away. Of course, the only times I have ever had anything stolen was when it was in for repairs, and I do mostly boondocking type camping.
bkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:51 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizfreleng View Post
Is what the parts counterman at the RV dealer in Orange Park FL told me when I asked him to make a couple of copies of the keys for the storage lockers around the outside of my 2004 Keystone Cougar 5th wheel. Sure enough. He walked down an aisle, grabbed a package of 3 and brought them back. Opened the package and laid my key against one, perfect match. I was flabbergasted! What is the use of a key if everyone has the same one? There has to be more to this story.
:what I suggest is you change the locks out for new ones that are differrent than yours then you will have different locks but you have to go to a Locksmith to do this and it will not be really cheap nor really expensive.
Peter
studesrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:24 AM   #53

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken O View Post

In the winter at the big box, many vehicles are running while the owner is shopping, the vehicles are unlocked.
As you said, it depends where you are. In the city where I live, they actually passed a law to make this practice illegal, as it makes the police too busy taking all the vehicle theft reports.
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:06 AM   #54

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LT View Post
Well, now you've done it !! Told the whole world !!!
LOL!!! this gave me a pretty good laugh, thank you!!
Bounder28T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:47 AM   #55

Something seen too often on the job is if they really want in they will find a way. Whether it's your home, home on wheels, compartment doors, etc.

A good lock will keep your compartment doors from popping open. It will possibly deter kids up to no good. Like your stick built house it will help deter a not so determined thief moving them along to your neighbors house or coach. It takes a little extra work to get a good lockset open, will make more noise, take more time to get inside whether it's your house or coach. All things that thieves don't like.

BUT, the reality remains: if they really want in...........they will.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:37 AM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
Curious, our 05 Bounder has Trimark 1074 that opens all cargo doors and handle to interior of coach. The key for the front hood is a 758B. I think it opens the fresh water fill also. No door on gas tank just the license plate.
Is this about TT only or are class A's same? Or was I just lucky second owner?
Jack
Sorry wont tell you where I live.