Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #1

The Newbie Blues

Hello forum, with probably a good 1000 hours of research, truck research, fiver research and lost sleep reading your posts, this newbie has laid down a deposit on a used model that I found at a motorhome specialty lot. We went to several large dealerships, trolled craigslist, and finally had almost decided to go with a 03 sandpiper from a private seller. Good thing we saw the latter during the morning sun, we were able to detect some Delamination on the back wall of the outside. I read enough here to figure out it was water damage, thanks. Today while looking we ran across this unit at a motorhome dealer ship that deals in high dollar coaches, so we assume anyone trading their way up into a Class A Coach must have been able to properly maintain there camper.

I'm interested on your responses to the whole truckvstrailer weight discussion that has came up , very important I might add, to my set up.

TV. 2007 F250 power stroke 4x4 short box
5th wheel. 2005 keystone sprinter 267fwls eWw

For my hitch we looked at some sliders on the 1200 range, don't want to skimp here but not sure I need the most expensive either.

I finally in the RV club and it feels pretty good, can't wait to get out and make some adventures with the Dw, the kid and the dog.

Oh and I'll try not to ask any stupid questions but then again, their is no such thing,

Nowacc99
Nowac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #2

Ask anything (within reason) and someone, (or a combination of people) here has the correct answer. You know something no-one else here does, that's the way it works. I've been an irv2.com member since 2002 and still learn something almost every time I sign-in.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
and remember one important thing - the only stupid question is the one you do not ask. ask away.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #4

Learn all you can from the mistakes of others. You won't have time to make them all yourself.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #5

Ok got as much done the first night as I could, I'm tried to say the least. I am testing out the water lines and when I hooked up to the city water and pressured up the system, I got water draining from below from one of the 2 connections that appeared to not be hooked up. Are these drain clines, or am I missing something.
It was a used unit so i got basically no walk thru and learning while on the go is frustrating.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowac99 View Post
Ok got as much done the first night as I could, I'm tried to say the least. I am testing out the water lines and when I hooked up to the city water and pressured up the system, I got water draining from below from one of the 2 connections that appeared to not be hooked up. Are these drain clines, or am I missing something.
It was a used unit so i got basically no walk thru and learning while on the go is frustrating.
Some units have drain petcocks at the lowest points in the system and drain petcocks for the fresh water tanks. If yours doesn't have drains, the previous owner might have loosened a connection to drain the water when he winterized it. Or he might not have winterized it correctly and you're seeing a broken line. When you do get the system pressured up, follow every water line from beginning to end to make sure there are no leaks anywhere, one drop of water on the particle board many RVs are made of starts the rot process.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #7

It sounds like you are well on your way. Good Luck. I am new too... and this forum has been great.

and do not feel bad. I have asked the same questions. And...got my answers with help from the forum and doing research on my own.

It is all about living and learning. We really never stop doing that.

You know that ole saying.. Youth is waisted on he young? well the older I get I wish I could turn back the hands of time sometimes as the wisdom we get as we live sure would have come in handy many years ago...

OH well.. that is life.

Congrats on your purchases and I do hope you will be having some fun this summer doing some great travel.

first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #8

Menoble, I'm think I may need some sort of valve to open/ close the water lines where it's the low point in the system. Possibly a WH bypass and some forgot to put the valves back one..I'm going by a parts house later and hopefully the counter guy will know. There is one more drain on the belly and I think it's the fresh water drain. The two ends in the picture are right behind the wheels on the curbside.

Thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2938466970.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	21987  
Old 06-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Oh and I'll try not to ask any stupid questions but then again, their is no such thing,

Nowacc99
Some units have a overflow line so that you can't overfill the fresh water tank. Some units have a petcock or valve inside the unit or storage compartment. The only stupid question is the one not asked. Welcome to the forum.
Mel
Old 06-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowac99 View Post
Menoble, I'm think I may need some sort of valve to open/ close the water lines where it's the low point in the system. Possibly a WH bypass and some forgot to put the valves back one..I'm going by a parts house later and hopefully the counter guy will know. There is one more drain on the belly and I think it's the fresh water drain. The two ends in the picture are right behind the wheels on the curbside.

Thanks guys
Buying a pre-owned unit adds another level of mystery to the fun of RV ownership, but it looks like you'll get it figured out. As mentioned, make sure to leave the overflow/vent tube(s) open!
Old 06-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #11

Thanks for all your help. Needed two shut off valves for the water connections and low and behold we have water. Tested city water connection and we are good. Fresh water tank is full and pump works as it should. While inspecting again tonight for leaks, I found where the pump is and if need be can get to it to replace. I'm enjoying learning about my rig and very thankful the previous owner did a good job of keeping it maintained. I did find one area above the slide out that looked like it is getting moisture to it, not a major leak, but will need to get up on top and inspect further. I've done enough for tonight.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #12

Those are the hot and cold drain lines. You do not need valves. There is a cap that screws right on to pictured lines. White cap that looks a lot like the other end of the coupler . Check in the drawers of the rig. Show pic to any r/v parts man. They will know what is needed.
oldbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #13

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Get the specs for your truck and see how heavy a fifth wheel you can tow and determine the max king pin weight yoiu can handle. Dont depend on personal opinions or guesswork. You are legally responsible for having an adequate TV to tow the trailer. I have seen individuals with felony charges that had an inadequate TV and had an accident and killed and maimed people.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #14

Yes, that would be a good idea wandering1. I'll get back with you.