Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2016, 11:23 AM   #1

The Next Adventure. TT or 5th? Moving from a class A

Hi all,
We have been camping with our class a (Winnie 35j) for 4 years and have had great adventures. One issue that always comes up is a secondary vehicle. We don't have a toad setup and are seriously considering towing a TT or 5th wheel instead of renting cars at our destination.

I'm not familiar with all the TT and 5th wheel manufacturers and before I start my search I thought I would get a start here. I figure there would be no shortage of firsthand opinion.

I'm looking for a manufacturer that has a good marks and you would recommend. I'm not looking for entry level but something that will be durable for many years to come. Of course , if you have brands that you would avoid based on your experience, that would be good to know too.

I figure if we can find one that we like we can worry about a truck later.

Thanks in advance.
VA-banditos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2016, 11:45 AM   #2

Many posts here in the forums , about the moves , back and forth from , 5ers to Class A . Comes down in every post to a personal decision , as to, if it suits you.
Personally after owning 4, 5ers over a number of years of RVing , and the last 6 years with a Class A and toad; I'd never go back .
Ease of driving , parking , set up and level interior floor are among the pluses.
Having the toad instead of a HD truck to run around town is another big bonus.
25 + mpg of the van vs, 12 mpg on the trucks , and my DW was never comfortable in a grocery store parking lot with the truck. So YKW had to drive her there, and other places where, she said, parking might be a problem.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:38 PM   #3

I'm on my third 5th wheel now, and have finally found a keeper. A Grand Design Solitude is it for me. Over Three years old now with over 20,000 miles. A very good mid level unit. And Grand Design has the best customer service of any company I've ever had to deal with after a sale. Check them out, I doubt you'll find any better...
2014 Grand Design Solitude, 369RL, #107
2016 Chevy 3500HD, SRW, Diesel/Allison
Gsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
set up and level interior floor are among the pluses.

Not having had to level a 5th wheel, is the process more involved than a class A? I rented a class c once and it was a bear to get level. No one slept well that night.

What is your setup on your class a?

Anything you miss about your trailer days?
Old 06-25-2016, 07:16 PM   #5

We bought a new Grand Design this year. Our first ever brand new RV. Our 5th wheel came with the 4 point auto level system, which works a slick treat when leveling. Really happy with our GD.

Floor plans are really a personal preference. Some TT's offer floor plan options that you can't do in a 5er, due to the step up rise in the floor in the front of the 5er you won't have to work around in a TT.

What about just buying a toad for your MH?
Old 06-25-2016, 09:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA-banditos View Post
Not having had to level a 5th wheel, is the process more involved than a class A? I rented a class c once and it was a bear to get level. No one slept well that night.

Depends on the leveling system. Our 5th wheel toy hauler has the six point leveling system. Levels itself with the push of a button in less than 2 minutes. Without the auto level, you may have to use levelers under the tires like with a class c. However, once you know how to level a trailer by pulling onto a leveling block or blocks, it's fairly easy to do with very little extra effort/work. All depends on your personal preference. I like having one diesel engine to maintain with the 5er. Class A will require all the engine maintenance as your toad plus the rv systems. You eliminate one engine when opting to go with a 5th wheel set up. Good luck with your decision.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:30 PM   #7

depends on equipment installed

Quote:

Before choosing a Manufacturer yet, you might hone in on the trailer style length and weight range. Hit some RV shows.

Leveling:
Equip. installed would be relevant.
Stackable leveling blocks on up. Can be a skill - fine art form for some.
With hydraulic auto leveling systems installed there would be very little difference. You'd probably be standing outside so weather could be a factor as apposed to sitting in a MH drivers seat. There are one-touch remote controls available.
Depending on the site / pad you'd probably be unhooking from your TV for a full auto level to allow full ram stroke etc..

Did you like the way the 35J (Gas?) performs / handles?

Are you contemplating going larger than 35' or smaller?

Do you tend to do more wandering or parking?

What floorplan options are important to your DW vs. the 35J?

As Skip426, slowpokeslim note everything is a compromise. A toad setup would seem more like an after-thought, than a capable tow vehicle would be. IMO

Happy motoring.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:40 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I really like Jayco. I have owned a 2007 Jay Flight trailer and currently have a Greyhawk class C. Looking to go to a 5th wheel in the next couple of years. I like their workmanship. My C is 9 years old and is still in good shape. For what it is worth. Larry
ledoylefcco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowpokeSlim View Post

What about just buying a toad for your MH?
we have talked about that a lot. Unfortunately we don't have any vehicles that are a good match as a Toad (too heavy). I have thought of trying to go to a diesel for more power.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:24 AM   #10

Quote:
we have talked about that a lot. Unfortunately we don't have any vehicles that are a good match as a Toad (too heavy). I have thought of trying to go to a diesel for more power.

Also not every vehicle can be flat towed.
Much more cannot than can be flat towed which would than require a dolly which seems like a pain.
Larry Mac01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, vent