Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-07-2015, 11:50 AM   #15
Forest River Owners Club
I have the pull right super glide hitch on my 3800 FL Cardinal. The chucking is almost a non issue with the spring box set up on the MorRyde hitch on the trailer.

Sam & Debbie
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL--Ford 6.7 PSD TV
3 Dogs/1 old cat & 4 Harleys
jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2015, 12:12 PM   #16
Any 2005 diesel truck with 75K miles is a rare find.

I would suggest you get (from the original owner) a list of specific modifications to your engine. Then research the mods or talk to a specialized diesel shop to make sure all the right changes have been made. The 2005 and 2006 6.0's were actually more trouble than the 2003-4 models--as Navistar made some changes.

Most problems were related to the engine only having 4 head bolts, and the fix is to stud the engine and put a new head gasket on it. That alone's a $1,200 job at a minimum. Most other 6.0 problems are EGR related. It's not uncommon to hear of $10K repairs on those engines, and many engines wait until 85K-90K to have those serious problems.

But if the truck's had the proper modifications, it can last you a long, long time. If you join TheDieselStop.com, you'll learn all about this engine and what needs to be done to protect it mechanically. Sign onto Wikipedia and put in "Powerstroke diesel" and the 6.0 mechanical subject is also summarized.

Bamaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:06 PM   #17
A Mor Ryde pin box will solve the surge or "chucking" problem...
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW
kakampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:20 PM   #18
Official iRV2 Sponsor
Alpine Owners Club
Eliminate the "slop" and the chucking "surge" should be gone too.
Ken Perry Jr.
Beautiful Southern Oregon
98 Ram 2500 12V Cummins
SuperSteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:54 PM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
We used to use a 16k Reese hitch in our old truck. Fifth wheel had a standard Fabex pin box. Lots of "Surging"/"Chucking". We bought a newer truck, that already had the turnover ball installed. I opted to go with the companion hitch. Same trailer/pinbox and the "Surging/chucking" was gone. We bought an Excel fifth wheel, just before Christmas and it came with a Demco Glide Ride pinbox. I now get chucking, that was gone, with the standard pin box. The pin box on the Excel may need work, although I have never used a glide ride before.

A previous fiver of ours had a 5th airborne pinbox and I enjoyed towing with it.
2007 Excel Limited 30RKE 32' fifth wheel
2003 Excel Limited 35LKE 37' fifth wheel
2011 Ford F250XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD
EMD_Driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:01 AM   #20
I believe that throughout the discussion the truck and trailer not working together sounds about right to me. Weight, tires, ride height of trailer. and truck . Make sure your pin is adjusted properly, Some combinations like a hole up in the the pin some 1 hole down. My hitch adjusts as well. I had to team them both up to get a smoother ride. It would shutter my truck almost creating dangerous driving conditions.
And on the 6.0 I have a shop and we seen many of them at first but with knowledge and education you can easily get over 300,000 out of a 6.0 .. I dont like them because I am a 7.3 fan but they are good engines. First and most expensive. Keep good batteries in it. It is a 2500.00 mistake the first time you crank it with dead batteries.
jonbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:22 PM   #21
Originally Posted by jonbrown View Post
Keep good batteries in it. It is a 2500.00 mistake the first time you crank it with dead batteries.
How so??

2002 Holiday Rambler 30RKD
2000 F250 diesel extended cab short bed
2014 Demco Autoslide 18K
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:01 PM   #22
The 6.0 was a engine kicked out of the cradle before it could walk.
Navistar or Ford has converted 12 volts into 48 in short to control the injectors .
Many people including myself with older 7.3 go out one morning and the truck will not start. Usually the first cold morning. But we noticed early on before we completely understood the 6.0 that usual injector problems started when batteries were dead. Some were dead from lights or drains that a human caused in the first few months of the 6.0 release. And of course there is also the early models with head bolt issues. A programmer was the culprit for 50% of those and of course EGR valves that was caused by long Idles or poor fuel. I have a customer that has a original 4 door lwb f350 and he has 300,000 + miles now and it pulls great daily.
We were babied with the 7.3 or chevy and thier 6.5 and of course the 12 valve cummins. But a new day is here and technology has been forced on the auto makers. It took them a while but they got it right. Another thought would be the 6.7 ltr ford. It costs around 30 new . No problems there .

jonbrown is offline   Reply With Quote