Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #29

Great idea!

We are new to RVing, and made our maiden voyage in our "new to us" 5er a couple weekends ago. One of our first realizations was, "hey, this things shakes a lot!" It's just the wife and I (no kids - empty nesters), so there wasn't alot of dancing about the cabin to warrant such movement. We have a 110lb Lab that travels with us, and when we could feel him get up in the middle of the night, spin around on his cusion, and plop back down, I knew we had to do something to remedy the problem. I immediately started searching for solutions, and was ready to purchase one of the "off the shelf" systems.

While lurking on iRV2, lo and behold I see your innovative idea. I immediatley went out to Harbor Freight and bought a couple of the cargo bars. I put them on this weekend, and they work great!

I only deviated from your installation a little. I removed the rubber pad from the end that connects to the strut for a slightly more rigid mechanical connection. I also did not have any readily available c-channel, so I used 1 1/2" angle aluminum to fabricate my brackets. I stuck with your overlapping struts instead of a center point mount as I believe this gives a slightly better mechanical advantage.

All in all, a nice afternoon project that worked as advertised, with a total cost of about 45 bucks for bars and hardware.

Thanks for sharing your great idea!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2011, 03:19 PM   #30
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotBigNuff View Post
Great idea!

We are new to RVing, and made our maiden voyage in our "new to us" 5er a couple weekends ago. One of our first realizations was, "hey, this things shakes a lot!" It's just the wife and I (no kids - empty nesters), so there wasn't alot of dancing about the cabin to warrant such movement. We have a 110lb Lab that travels with us, and when we could feel him get up in the middle of the night, spin around on his cusion, and plop back down, I knew we had to do something to remedy the problem. I immediately started searching for solutions, and was ready to purchase one of the "off the shelf" systems.

While lurking on iRV2, lo and behold I see your innovative idea. I immediatley went out to Harbor Freight and bought a couple of the cargo bars. I put them on this weekend, and they work great!

I only deviated from your installation a little. I removed the rubber pad from the end that connects to the strut for a slightly more rigid mechanical connection. I also did not have any readily available c-channel, so I used 1 1/2" angle aluminum to fabricate my brackets. I stuck with your overlapping struts instead of a center point mount as I believe this gives a slightly better mechanical advantage.

All in all, a nice afternoon project that worked as advertised, with a total cost of about 45 bucks for bars and hardware.

Thanks for sharing your great idea!
Thanks for the nice remarks. Sure glad it saved you some money!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:23 PM   #31
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
UPDATE! We took the 5er out this weekend for the first time since installing the stabilizer bars and I encountered one small problem that should be mentioned.
I lowered the landing legs to where the 5er was level front-to-back. I then attempted to ratchet the bars to put pressure on them. One of them ratcheted one click and was tight. Because of a difference in the height of the landing legs, the other one stopped in a position that would not allow the bar to ratchet. I lowered the landing legs just a small amount and that allowed me to ratchet the bar. Then I raised the legs JUST A SMALL AMOUNT to put a LITTLE MORE pressure on the bars. I realize that this is contrary to what I said in an earlier post about not using the landing gear to put pressure on the bars because it might strip out the ratchet assembly, but this was one time that I felt it necessary. I still urge you to be really careful about doing this and if you find it necessary just apply a SMALL amount of pressure.
Other than that one problem they worked as I had hoped! Good luck!

Old 09-26-2011, 07:08 AM   #32

Joe,

We used ours for the first time last weekend as well. I encountered the same issue. One side ratcheted tight, the other would not.

My solution was a bit different:

I held pressure on the ratchet and told the wife to rock the front of the 5er. A slight nudge by her and CLICK, the bar tightened. I told her to rock it again. Her response: "I can't!"

They worked well. Thanks again.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #33

I installed them last week and we took a four day last of the year trip before heading to fla . In jan with it. They are great can't believe how well they work
going to install a set on back this week. Got mine at harbor frt.
Thanks for the great idea .
Rick
Old 10-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #34
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebitt View Post
I installed them last week and we took a four day last of the year trip before heading to fla . In jan with it. They are great can't believe how well they work
going to install a set on back this week. Got mine at harbor frt.
Thanks for the great idea .
Rick
You're welcome Rick! Glad they worked out for you!

Old 02-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #35

Excel Owners Club
Can anyone post a coupla pics of this installation? Helps me to understand what I'm reading.

Thanks for the idea and the detailed instructions!
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #36

If you google for JT's Strong Arm fifth wheel jack stabilizers, you can see some pictures of the item being duplicated with off the shelf cargo bars.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #37
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce and Jenna View Post
Can anyone post a coupla pics of this installation? Helps me to understand what I'm reading.

Thanks for the idea and the detailed instructions!

Just go back to the start of this thread and all the pics are there. Good luck!

Old 02-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #38

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Joe,
I know this is an older post, I just saw it, again, very nice innovative idea, you really do nice work.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #39

What a great invention !!!!!! And practical too. Not to mention affordable. In today's high priced living it is nice to see an easy affordable fix to an age old problem. Thank you so much for sharing your idea and application. Right ON !!!!!!!
Old 02-27-2012, 12:24 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers
I believe I have discovered the ultimate home-made 5er stabilizers! I was at a Love's Travel Center and found the S-Line SL125-HT Ratcheting Cargo Bars at $19.95 each.
Hi there! This sounds like the real cats' meow! We are in Canada, full timers, and do not have access to a shop nearby.

Can you tell me the brand name of the jacks? We're they purchased at an AUTO PARTS/SUPPLY shop? (not familiar with the Loves stores).

I'm going to try to find similar jacks here, then hire a shop to construct them. NEED THEM REALLY BADLY. WIFE SUFFERS FROM SEVERE INNER EAR VERTIGO - UNTREATABLE. Stabilizing the 5er is job #1!!!

Many thanks for this note!
PapaBear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #41

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for the tip on pics at the top. Didn't see them when I loaded the page. I get 'er now.
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #42

Hi there! This sounds like the real cats' meow! We are in Canada, full timers, and do not have access to a shop nearby.

Can you tell me the brand name of the jacks? We're they purchased at an AUTO PARTS/SUPPLY shop? (not familiar with the Loves stores).

You can try Canadian Tire or Princess Auto in Canada. They are made by a Company called Haul Master. They are Cargo Bars for keeping your stuff in place in the bed of your pick up. They are so simple to install you may not need a shop to install. Hope this helps.

Reg