Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2015, 12:28 PM   #1

The Underbelly Leaking

Last week we purchased a used 2002 Keystone Montana 3295RK, we love it. It's great. Buuuuut, we had been trying to clean our tanks because we keep smelling something. I don't think its black water. It smells like old stagnant water, so we assumed its from the grey tank or from the washing machine. After trying to flush all the tanks we noticed the underbelly leaking, not just dripping, a constant stream. It's leaking right where the pipe connection meets the black underbelly. I'm hoping that the water isn't on any wood but I don't know how any of this works or whats behind that black underbelly. Would it be stupid to puncture a small hole so the water doesn't spread elsewhere and then patch it later? We did call a mechanic who said he won't be available for a few days /: Any suggestions would be great.

Thank you,
Victoria and Jensen

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2015, 03:25 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I would remove the under belly, my guess is that the black tank drain line has separated from the tank, This is common for earlier Montana's, had 2 at the park last year. poking a small hole to drain the water is not a bad idea, it will help remove the standing water.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:16 PM   #3

Go ahead and punch a hole nearest to a low spot around the drip/leak. Wait til it stops, then hook up water and turn it on to see if the water leak begins again. If not, then try the tank flush to see if that starts the leak--if it does, then probably the backflow preventer valve is leaking. If it begins again right away, then you will just have to start looking for it in the basement area where you can see the plumbing.
Good luck.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:20 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Normally, I would agree with Joe on this approach. The reason that I said about removing the underbelly is due to past experience with the drains breaking away from the black tank on Montana's.
Frank
Old 04-21-2015, 02:42 PM   #5

I agree with franka548, you need to get that underbelly pulled down and see where the leak is coming from. Also if the insulation in there is wet you need to dry it out/replace it after you fix the leak, don't cover it back up with it wet, it will mold.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:34 PM   #6

When you punch the hole in the underbelly (good idea!) reach 'over there' and don't do it over your head/face!

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:38 AM   #7

punching hole to drain is a must. After wards, you will need to remove the wet insulation and replace. you can patch holes with gorilla tape. Its not that hard to remove the bottom, just time consuming. good luck
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:15 AM   #8

I have been working on replacing some of my underbelly material--it is not rocket science, but can be frustrating working on your back and having lots of junk from years of travel, fallout. Use eye protection. As mentioned, get all the wet insulation out and throw it away--replace with new material after finding/fixing the leak. Looking into the underside of these units is eye-opening as to how they are put together and what corners have been cut. Lots of times the screws/bolts holding the underbelly material will be rusted and need to be replaced also--consider using stainless steel screws to replace those that can't be reused.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:49 PM   #9

Wow!

Thanks so much for the advice and help everybody! I really appreciate it! You're all awesome! (:
Old 04-27-2015, 03:15 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
totfan101,
Keep us updated on your progress and what you find wrong, it may help someone else down the line.
Frank

Tags
5th wheel, fiver, grey water, holding tank, leak, underbelly, waste tanks, water