Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2016, 10:57 PM   #1

Thermostat

Have determined that the thermostat could be the cause of a/c compressor running all time
Does anyone have an idea on replacing thermostat only or the circut board
dblcruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2016, 01:01 AM   #2

More specific info needed..........Brand/model of A-C Unit and what t-stat you have

Old analog type-----replace with a Hunter/Honeywell Digital

Dometic 5 button....replace with Dometic
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:39 AM   #3

I had some major issues this summer while staying near Scottsdale AZ. Both ACs started acting change continuous running, cycling in all different orders and eventually both quit working completely. I had a technician come out and try to fix the problem but I eventually unplugged from shore power and disconnected the battery which reset the thermostat and bingo everything was working and back to normal. After getting on the net and reading about the problem apparently something with the wifi and radio waves can screw up the thermostat and all you have to do is reset it. Hopefully your problem is as simple as mine. Good luck.
Kingw2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:26 PM   #4

Had the same problem this past summer. Replaced circuit board, capacitor, and relay. Still did the same thing. Somebody told me to replace the thermostat and I did. Problem solved. I had the older analog dometric thermostat.
918jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:06 PM   #5

Thermostat

You can replace it with a house hold thermostat mine went and I installed a nice digital one with programs and everything else only problem house furnaces don't have 2 speeds so I just bought a small on off switch and mounted it on the inside of thermostat and cut a small hole in the housing for the switch to come though.. Works perfect and a lot cheaper the a quote RV one
rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:09 PM   #6

That's a good cheap alternative but you would need to make sure to buy one that controls as many zones as AC/heating units/furnaces that you have on your RV. Most residential T-stats are not set up for multiple zones. I am no expert on HVAC but I am a general contractor and I'm quite certain this statement is true. If I were you I would first start by disconnecting you batteries and shore power for a reset before doing anything else. If it works, this is a free fix.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingw2001 View Post
That's a good cheap alternative but you would need to make sure to buy one that controls as many zones as AC/heating units/furnaces that you have on your RV. Most residential T-stats are not set up for multiple zones. I am no expert on HVAC but I am a general contractor and I'm quite certain this statement is true. If I were you I would first start by disconnecting you batteries and shore power for a reset before doing anything else. If it works, this is a free fix.

The thermostat has heat/off/ac then fan on/off then I installed a switch for hi low speed on rv ac.. It's a single zone for a house with multiple zones u would have a stat for each so I don't under stand what u mean
rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:49 AM   #8

There are multiple zone T-stats which used 99 percent of the time in commercial buildings but also on rvs with multiple AC units. Mine has 2 zones, 1 for each unit in my fifth wheel. They work by having a temperature sensor in each room to control that particular unit. You just switch zones on the thermostat in order to change settings for any particular unit. Example, at night I set the bedroom at 68 degrees and the living area to 78 during the summer so I'm cool for sleeping but not wasting energy in the areas I am not in at night. If the rv only has 1 unit then your example will work great.

Tags
thermostat