Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2006, 02:33 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I just inherited a 34.5ft Terry 5th wheel with 3 slideouts, 98 model, that has been sitting outside for the last 5 years without being used. Its been closed up, offlevel so water will drain off, and was only used a few times since new. I've been thinking of the list of things that will have to be done to get it up in shape and know the obivious ones like tires, brakes, cleaning and checking all the systems but what about the roof, slide seals and mechanism,(it has the 12v rack and pinion), not to mention other things I haven't even thought of yet.

If you have any words of wisdom, letum rip. I'll be glad to read all suggestions. (and thanks)

Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2006, 02:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I just inherited a 34.5ft Terry 5th wheel with 3 slideouts, 98 model, that has been sitting outside for the last 5 years without being used. Its been closed up, offlevel so water will drain off, and was only used a few times since new. I've been thinking of the list of things that will have to be done to get it up in shape and know the obivious ones like tires, brakes, cleaning and checking all the systems but what about the roof, slide seals and mechanism,(it has the 12v rack and pinion), not to mention other things I haven't even thought of yet.

If you have any words of wisdom, letum rip. I'll be glad to read all suggestions. (and thanks)

Old 02-23-2006, 03:40 PM   #3

If there is an owners manual do the maintenance listed. Camping World has a roof treatment program that for a few hundred will clean the roof and reseal the roof fittings. Or you can inspect internal cabinets and the top of all walls to see if there is any hint of a leak. You can buy a roof cleaner and wash it and then apply a roof treatment. If there is no water leakage obvious near the slides there is a good chance the seals are OK. We have a rack and pinion system on our slide which ensures the slide moves in and out evenly (does not ****). There is a hydraulic piston in the center of the slide that actually moves the slide. If you have this system there should be a hydraulic cyliner under the rig. There should be a fill connection screwed into the top, upen it and feel for the presence of oil if it is down more than 1/2 inch add oil. In my rig it is ATF. I would replace the tires before you move the trailer. The batteries may be be dry, I'd add dsitilled water and see if they will accept a charge. The front legs will require lubrication with grease. Develop a checkoff list for departure hookup and arrival that is specific for your rig. We did and it has been a continuing help. Once the "check trailer lights" step disclosed that our truck turn signal switch had failed and none of our trailer lights worked. I'll share my lists with you if you send me your e-mail address. Mine is cwsoules@mindspring.com.

When we bought our used rig it had not been moved for a while but had been used as an extra bedroom. The tires should have been replaced before I moved it but I was lucky and the tread separation I found did not occur until I had moved it 200 miles and parked it. When we tested the systems they worked OK, but within 6 months the circuit board in the furnace needed replacement, and within a year the reefer circuit board had to be replaced. I have had very good luck calling the manufacturers of my rig's components for trouble shooting help and parts. I would also look to see if there is a local Terry owners group, out Automate group has been a good source of help with maintenance tips.
Retired Navy. 2001 Quad Cab 2500 Auto w/4:10 rear end. PRXB Pac Brake. Miller Manufacturing Truck Bed Cover and Rigged to tow a 1995 29' Automate 5th wheel with 1 slide out
cwsoules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 04:09 PM   #4

Repack wheel bearings if they are not Nverlubes.

After putting in new double 6v golf cart batteries , plug it in and check the output of the converter. Then, turn on refrigerator and check it closely in about 2 hours for some coolness in the freezer.

Purge the water tank, then purify it with a chlorine solution, run it into all faucets, let it sit an hour, then purge again.

Mercy, where do I stop. I guess here. That should keep you busy for about an hour or so.
Bob
Old 02-27-2006, 02:23 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Just wanted to say "THANKS" for all the good ideas and suggestions. I'm going after the puppy tomorrow, only have to pull it 25 miles to get it home so am going to take it slow and hope the tires hold up for that. Figured I'd take a battery for it to be safe, then when I get it home I can start to work on it and see what all it needs. The next trick is to get it into the garage, may have to remodel the door opening a little. My other trailer just clears but I think this one is a little higher. Oh what fun.