Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2018, 02:11 PM   #1

Think safety...think first!

This past weekend when we got ready to leave a campground, the guy next door was also packing up. We exchanged some greetings as neither of us had been at the campground much over the weekend.

A little bit later I was inside checking on the DW and our grand daughter when we heard a loud noise and then cries for help. I rushed out the door and headed towards the neighbor along with a couple other campers. I noticed his fiver was resting within inches of his bed rail. When I rounded the front of his truck I saw that his arm was pinned between the bed rail and the bottom of his fifth wheel front end.

His wife (or significant other) was hollering that she couldn't figure out how to raise the trailer as she was fumbling with the LCI controller inside the storage area. After several attempts to get her out of the way, I finally got at the contol and started to extend the legs. That's when I noticed they had removed all the pads from the 4-pt leveling system. Two of the guys stuck pads under the front legs as I lowered them, and soon we had the gentleman extracted. Paramedics and police show up and while they tended to the guy, who miraculously could move his fingers and apparently had no broken bones, we got the pads put on the trailer with the help of a floor jack that one guy had along.

We got his truck hooked back up to the trailer with some difficulty. His hitch latch seemed tempermental. I told him to take it to where he bought it, or an RV dealer to have it checked out.

I then instructed him to leave his pads attached, and told him the cardinal rule of fifth wheel trailering...NEVER EVER remove the wheel chocks or raise the landing gear until the hitch is positively locked and the safety pin is in place! There were some other minor discrepancies I noted also, but those didn't have as serious consequences.

The guy was extremely lucky...this time. People need to use their heads and ask questions. Just thought I'd share.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2018, 02:18 PM   #2

Old 10-02-2018, 02:34 PM   #3

Damn.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:38 PM   #4
Community Administrator

These stories will no doubt prevent others from duplicating this tragedy. Thanks for the post.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:56 PM   #5

Then there are those of us who see it coming and have the choice of saying something and getting told to "mind my own business" or do I just sit back and watch and get asked why I did not say something. It's often a lot easier to do the latter.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:09 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One of the reasons I keep a checklist on my cell phone to go thru item by item.

File this story under DOH:

Last trip I got distracted by something and forgot to check the rear stabilizers on the final walk around.

Drove off with them down. Everything was fine until they started to drag on the campground road heading down a slight hill....only bent one of the bars on the Lippert mechanism and was able to bend it back and raise the stabilizer.

Another lesson learned, even after multiple decades on this earth.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:16 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was a couple spaces down from a guy who drove his Harley up a ramp into the bed of his truck. Didn't make it.

Heard a big crash sound and moaning. By the time I got to him several other guys had arrived and we lifted the Harley off him and he went to the hospital, his significant other still harping on him.

Things happen!!
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:41 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Great post, thanks for sharing.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:28 PM   #9

Sounds like that guy was really lucky to not have lost a hand!

When you say he removed the pads, are you talking about the metal feet attached to the legs? If so, why would anyone ever remove these?
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2018, 06:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicRT View Post
When you say he removed the pads, are you talking about the metal feet attached to the legs? If so, why would anyone ever remove these?
Yup, and that's exactly what I said to him. He said he thought that was how it was done. He was in enough pain, I didn't see the point in pursuing it. I just said leave them on all the time.

Tags
safety