Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2015, 04:46 PM   #1

Thinking about a 5'er

We're fulltimers currently in a 40' Foretravel MH (no slides). At the time we bought it we planned to spend anywhere from a week to a month at a time (travel days excluded). Since then our needs have changed, and since October we have spent 6 weeks, a month, and 5 months in one spot. It looks like we will have more 2-5 month stints, so we're looking at a 5'er.

We will be purchasing both the coach and truck used. For various reasons the truck will probably be an F450, which pretty much opens us up to almost any 5'er. The company that has interested us most is New Horizons. We're okay with a high-end brand that didn't survive the recent depression. What brands were true competitors of the NH? I know about Spacecraft already.

kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2015, 05:07 PM   #2

I cant even think of going from a foretravel to a 5 er. I currently have a 5 er and dream of a foretravel or diesel pusher. What year and milage is on your foretravel?

Old 09-10-2015, 05:57 AM   #3
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
We're fulltimers currently in a 40' Foretravel MH (no slides). At the time we bought it we planned to spend anywhere from a week to a month at a time (travel days excluded). Since then our needs have changed, and since October we have spent 6 weeks, a month, and 5 months in one spot. It looks like we will have more 2-5 month stints, so we're looking at a 5'er...
We switched from a MH to a 5er back in January for the same reasons. We find the 5er to be much more residential with much more interior storage space and much, much more kitchen counter space (we got one with a kitchen island). We liked the MH for the way we traveled in the early years of our full-timing when we moved frequently and traveled more miles, but we like the 5er for the kind of slower-paced travel we are doing now.

The minuses for a 5er are 1) Less convenient outside storage; 2) You have to drive a BIG truck to go sightseeing and to Walmart; 3) Learning to back a 5er was harder for me than learning to back a travel trailer and way harder than learning to back a MH.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:17 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
In MY experience, the storage and livability question is better in the mh, but it is a 43' mh versus a 41' 5'er we just unloaded.

Also, in MY experience,
an special ordered new 5'er is not the build quality of even a 5 year old MH....

OUR 18 month nightmare with a 'HIGH END' 5'er finally ended with them buying it back, but because of a non-disclosure they make you sign, I can't say which high end mfg to help you out

Now, is that a one off or indicative of the mfg's 'throwing' them together so they can sell them as fast as they can build them??? I know what MY opinion is (especially having spoken to others in the campgrounds that we see)
Old 09-10-2015, 01:27 PM   #5

JohnBoyToo, sorry about your troubles. I understand that you can't publicly state which manufacturer it was, and I'm not asking for that. My question really concerns which brands were/are direct competitors to New Horizons. My understanding is that NH advertises themselves as custom builders, but they do have some more or less standard plans. Spacecraft is a complete custom build company, so they start with a blank sheet of paper. DRV makes what is advertised as a high end coach, and when we toured their factory a few years ago they said that they could change most things (for a fee, of course). That puts them in a semi-custom category for me.

We will be buying used for both the truck and coach. I'm thinking about an F450 for the truck, so I think it will handle almost anything we are interested in.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:36 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Mechanically Inclined Folks seem to love fivers, farmers, repairmen etc. I could imagine enjoying one if my plans,like yours, involved extended stationary stays.

I think if you find a clean fiver with no leaks-you will be fine. There probably is not a brand out there that somebody will not throw rocks at. Get the one you both like, and enjoy it.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:28 PM   #7

I agree with "paz" that when we had our motor home we were moving a lot, exploring a lot and even went to Alaska and back. It served us well. But now we are more likely to stay somewhere for two weeks, maybe a month, and the fiver is more comfortable for that. At first I found it more difficult to back into a site but now I mostly make it in on the first try.

We had a Newmar Mountain Aire motor home and we looked hard for a nice used Newmar 5th wheel before we bought the Dynamax Trilogy. Unfortunately Newmar quit making 5th wheels several years ago. Another manufacturer that had a great reputation that no longer exists is Carraige and Carraige Royals International was a nice unit, but hard to find and still expensive if you do find one.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:41 PM   #8

Moving frequently with a fiver is no big deal. Auto leveling makes that part easy.
Hooking up it the takes the same or less time then hooking up a tow car. Both require disconnecting electrical and hoses water, black tank , etc.
As far as the wife running in the back of the MH making you a sandwich because you can't stop ask yourself what is she going to be doing if l have to panic stop or swerve to avoid a road hazard .
She will be ricocheting around the MH Bouncing off of hard objects and hurt !
So please quit using that unsafe and dangerous reason as another plus of owning a MH. Stop! Then make the sandwich. Eat it while stopped enjoy your lunch !
Old 09-10-2015, 08:55 PM   #9

When lunchtime comes on travel days, we find someplace to land for an hour or so. We let the cat out of her kennel, Jo Ann makes lunch and I check things over. After lunch we both stretch a bit, put the cat back in her kennel, check the route, and head on down the road.

One thing that bothers us about a towable vs the MH is the issue of slides. We don't have any, and all of the 5'ers we've looked at do. Some of them require putting one or more slides out in order to fix and eat lunch, and a few even require it for getting to the bathroom.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:05 PM   #10

I have a Cardinal 30-30 l can access the fridge, bathroom and bed room . I have 3 slides.
You would just have to look at a model that will work for you.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:23 AM   #11

Thinking about a 5'er

Don't forget to look at Forks RV/Continental Coach. They share the "top 3" along with New Horizons and Spacecraft. We did extensive research and found Continental Coach to be the best fit for us. 100% custom and they can do anything you ask--for example, we have an all electric unit with diesel-heated floors (no propane).

Some feel that Forks RV builds the highest quality fiver available--to which we wholeheartedly agree.

Www.forksrv.com
Old 09-15-2015, 04:04 PM   #12

Thanks for all of the suggestions. We're still talking about maybe switching, and doing some looking as time permits. We were in Concordia, MO last weekend and saw a Spacecraft coach parked there. Weren't able to talk to anyone about it, though. Outside looked nice. Checked both Forks and Spacecraft sites, but neither one has any used 5'ers for sale today. There are some used New Horizons for sale, and at some attractive prices.

It sounds like Forks, NH, and Spacecraft are the Mercedes-class of 5'ers, which means that there aren't a lot to choose from. What would the Lincoln class of 5'ers look like? DRV? King of the Road? Teton? Yes, I know the last two are out of business, but that doesn't bother us much, as I'm assuming the price should reflect that.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:41 PM   #13

Thinking about a 5'er

Forks has a few units for sale, call Jay there.

Also, you may wish to look at Travel Supreme. They went out of business in 2008, but when they did they were only a few paces behind the big 3. You can get a lot of coach for the money. Super build quality (just stay away from the River Canyon model).