Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2008, 05:45 PM   #1

We have a '02 Alumascape 5th wheel and are wanting to retrofit it with a generator. We are considering a Generac QuietPac 40G model. Wondering if anyone has any experience with these good or bad.
FlagFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2008, 05:45 PM   #2

We have a '02 Alumascape 5th wheel and are wanting to retrofit it with a generator. We are considering a Generac QuietPac 40G model. Wondering if anyone has any experience with these good or bad.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:07 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
I will have a Quiet Pac 40 for 2 years this August.It does a great job.
Mine is in a diamond plate toolbox in the bed of my truck. It's called a
Toolbox Generator. I saw it in Good Sam and Trailer Life in 2006. When Carriage was going to void my 5 year structual warranity if I weld a 2inch square hitch on the back and mount a generator I went that route. The company that built mine fixed it up with a remote start also. So I can start it from in the 5th wheel. But if you mount it in the 5th wheel. You can get a wired remote start kit from Guardian (which is the company that makes the Quiet Pac with the Generac generator. The people that built mine put the remote wired start kit in the toolbox so I don't have to pull the cover to start it from outside and the wireless start kit so I can start and stop it from inside the 5th wheel. It does run quiet and does a good job. Also very fuel efficient.

Leslie Haas
Leslie Haas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:48 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Wow, 2 first-time posters. Welcome, both of you, to iRV2.com. We're glad to have you with us.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:12 AM   #5

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
FlagFJ, Welcome to iRv2.com
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:13 AM   #6

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
Leslie Haas, also welcome to iRV2.com
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:21 PM   #7

We have a similar 5ver and use a Honda EM5000s generator. I bolt it in the truck bed. I have added an automatic transfer switch to the fiver and added a Marinco type power inlet up by the kingpin so I can connect the generator to the fiver and use it while on the road. It will run the AC all night in places like truck stops, parking lots, ect while on multi-day travels. I also changed the rear power inlet to a Marinco plug. The transfer switch doesnt' let the generator and connected shore power (if ther is any)try and feed the fiver at the same time.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:52 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Flag and Leslie, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy this website and forum. Good luck and post often; feel free to ask questions.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:03 AM   #9

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm not overly concerned with the installation. I saw a guy who used a remote fuel tank from a boat and just set it on the ground, so I may do that temporarily, what I am concerned about is the quality of the Generac product. They are less expensive generally than Onan, but I wonder if the Onan is better quality. We don't run the Honda EU2000 that we have too often, but it just doesn't have enough juice to run A/C or microwave.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:05 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome FlagFJ & Leslie Haas to irv2.
I have the 5000 Generac in my coach has been trouble free and quiet like it better than the Onen's I have had.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:12 AM   #11

Not to start a brand war, but my personal ranking would be Honda & Onan close to equal, and Generac below those two. Generac builds models that run the entire range of "some very good quiet models (high cost)...to very poor noisy models (low cost)" since they build down into the cheap noisy contractor grade catagory. Onan and Honda only build the "high end units". You wont find a bargain priced Honda or Onan at the hardware store.

When I bought my Honda I did not want a unit built-in to the fiver. I needed a generator that could do other things around the ranch and yet be powerful enough and quiet enough for the fiver. The Honda meets my needs. It has 220 volt capability that lets me power a well pump in emergencies and my welding machine.

Usually with generators "least expensive" does not go with "quiet and long lasting".

I bought my Honda at this place several years ago http://www.mayberrys.com/indexnew.htm

They are a family owned real store with a internet sales area. Their site has lots of generator information and you can speak with them by phone, to knowledgeable staff.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #12

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We had two Generac 4kw when i worked with Sprint and never had any trouble with them. They were on a small trailer and used to run small remote switching away from the central office. They had a Honda type engine and ran very quite compared to the Briggs we had also. We would fill them up around midnight and they would still be running the next morning around 7 to 8 AM. As far as I know they are still in service and I been retired over 8 years.
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:31 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
FlagFJ...
I can't answer you about the generator...but I can officially welcome you to iRV2! The folks here try to be as helpful as can be...as you can tell by the responses here! I feel this is the friendliest group of RV owners on the web and it is because of the family values that the forum has!

I hope you continue to visit and just as importantly.. post & ask questions... everyone is here to help!

Again...welcome to iRV2!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:25 PM   #14

We really like the Generac, have the 4500 watt 50lpg. I did a lot of researching before we bought and found the noise levels comprable to the Onan, weight better and deciding factor was that the Generac engine is only turning 2571 rpm while the Honda and Onan are busy at 3600-3800. This is not to mention the enormous $$$ diference which helps to; you can usually pick up the 4500watt Generac for $1500-$1600 with muffler and service kit included. Enough savings that you can add a very nice light insulated aluminum enclosure and still be much cheaper and in most cases quieter than the competition.
rrraider is offline   Reply With Quote