Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-27-2016, 10:37 AM   #1
Thinking of moving to 5th wheel

I currently own a winebago Minnie thinking of moving up to a 5th wheel for more room ,looking for suggestions or comments.

Jonnypip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2016, 10:51 AM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Originally Posted by Jonnypip View Post
I currently own a winebago Minnie thinking of moving up to a 5th wheel for more room ,looking for suggestions or comments.
Lots to be found on this forum. You can start here.

Dave & Jo Ann
'08 HitchHiker Champagne 35LKRSB | '11 F350 Lariat 6.7PSD
Half Dimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:54 AM   #3
Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
I still use my PullRite and always will but check it out. PullRite hitch failure
2014 Columbus 320RS
2011, Ford, F250 srw, 6.7
Life member GoodSam, KOA, F.R.O.G
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:40 PM   #4
Originally Posted by Jonnypip View Post
Make a list of features and items that you want. Then decide if you can live without some of these items, cross them off. Now shop for a trailer that will match your wants and needs. My wants and needs were different than my wifes. We than made a compromised list to do our search. We ended up with a Cedar Creek model.
My wants and needs were more structural and mechanical in nature, were my wifes was more kitchen and living needs.
I wanted a minimum of 7,000 LB axles with G rated tires, self-adjusting brakes, wet bolts system and shackle plates with rubber equalizer, 6 point leveling system and 10 or 12 I-Beam frame. If 10 I-Beam need to have 2 square tubing on top for floor and upper level wall support. Large basement storage area and heated with 12V heated holding tanks, DSI water heater minimum of 10 gallon.
My wife wanted a large Kitchen area with residential refrigerator plus plenty of cabinet storage. Large enough bath room and a full shower with seat. Fireplace in the living room with a couch that can go into a bed, recliners or theater seats. Central vacuum full size Queen Mattress not a camping Queen (smaller) a full size closet and dresser
Jim & Jill
Sold: 2010 318SAB Cougar:New: 2016 Cedar Creek 34RL. 2008 Dodge 6.7LCummins the original 6.7L engine, w/68RFE Auto
jimcumminsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:18 AM   #5
Just curious since it will be awhile but how do you get one of those giant residentual fridges out when they fail. I was a mover for a lot of years and took many a door off to get them in or out of a house. There is no way l can see to get them out without taking out a picture window. I for one think that they need to make a beefier fridge. Those home models are meant to sit in a house. They are not designed to bounce down a road unless you have a more sophiscated suspension besides what is seen on rhe average 5th wheel.
It will be interesting to see how long they last.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:47 AM   #6
my emergency exit window in the dinet area would be plenty big enough.
2005 volvo 670 12 speed auto shift
singled, hensley trailer saver smart car "on deck"
Newmar 34 rsks Torrey Pine
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:49 AM   #7
I'm with Jacknife on this one. Most of the smaller fivers I have looked at with residential refers are the cheapest models you can find at Home Depot. Most seem too large for the space in the smaller models like I am looking at. Plus the extra battery and inverter doesn't sound so lovely to me.
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:57 PM   #8
I'd suggest spending some time in each unit you think might work for you. I mean more than five minutes doing a walk-through. For example, send the salesperson out and sit in chairs to imagine how you would live in the RV, lay in the bed and imagine again, visualize how you would use the features, cabinets and floor layout the way you would live in the unit. See if the kitchen is ergonomic and things are set up to be useable.
--2005 F350 Superduty Crewcab, 6.0, 4wd, short bed, 3.73 gears
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--SOLD 2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38'
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:31 PM   #9
Another very important one is to have the slides pulled in to see if you have acsess to the washroom and fridge when travelling

2015 3500 Denali DRW
Pushed by 2015 Redwood 36RL Loaded
shane wood is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel