Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2014, 09:48 AM   #15

450Donn - when I selected the SunnyBrook Bristol Bay it was because of the features and not so much about insulation. After all I was going to stay in moderate temps. I do not know the 'R' values but do know the walls are fiberglass with white condensed styrofoam sandwiched between the inside and outside wall. The framing is aluminum. I have batt insulation in the floor which is 5/8's tongue and groove exterior plywood and batt insulation in the ceiling.

Again I thought 'All Season', I will be in the south in winter and north in the summer. This will work out fine.

But the way the furnace runs 80% of the time - it is not fine.

To recap - I was cold in the Pa. mountains this summer and now cold in the Florida winter cold snap.

My only other experience was in a small 3 season TT w/o any slides. I knew it was not well insulated. I would rate that trailer to be as good as 5th wheel as far as insulation.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2014, 11:25 AM   #16

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3117-1.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	53504

The other day. 100 Degree difference between indoors and the windchill outside. Nice and cozy inside

Old 01-08-2014, 12:09 PM   #17

Wow - that is impressive. Is that an Alpine? I can quite make out the name for sure. I would freeze to death in my trailer in those conditions.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #18

You have to remember that the snow build-up will help insulate as well. Just like the Eskimo's igloo. Main thing is to stop air from moving underneath. If you can keep your floor from freezing then your warm.
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollondown View Post
You have to remember that the snow build-up will help insulate as well. Just like the Eskimo's igloo. Main thing is to stop air from moving underneath. If you can keep your floor from freezing then your warm.
If snow will not melt insulation is doing its job.
Under snow its about 32 and a candle can keep you warm. We use to make tunnels all the time when kids. It was always nice and warm unlike outside.
I checked my unit many time while in the snowbank storage and was always liveable while no heating was used. The slides were always in.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
I have friends in an Elkridge that just got back from Durango CO for a ski trip and some others in a Landmark that are in Breckenridge CO in -30 weather. They were/are all warm and snug, but I don't ski and certainly don't want temps that low!
Old 01-08-2014, 06:18 PM   #21

Ok - today it was still chilly in north Florida. I was in a 2005 NuWa Hitchiker and then a 2008 Carriage Carri-lite. Even though both people said their furnace runs too much both 5ers were much warmer than mine and their furnaces did not cycle on as often as mine.

This cold spell even has my DW thinking we need a better unit...yippy
Old 01-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #22

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Polar package, four season, ect simply means tanks and water lines are somewhat protected from freezing. It means nothing in regards to total insulation and heating or cooling retention. A rig designed, built and warranted for "full-time" use will have the best insulating technology that goes beyond insulation only. Some polar packages simply have 12 volt heating pads on the tanks. Beware of what a salesman tells you.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:34 PM   #23

chief02 - I think you are right. If the underbelly is closed and covered with plastic then manufacturers say the rig is all season. Heating pads may also be a bogus claim to be all season.

All Season should mean very well insulated from very cold air or very hot air.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
chief02 - I think you are right. If the underbelly is closed and covered with plastic then manufacturers say the rig is all season. Heating pads may also be a bogus claim to be all season.

All Season should mean very well insulated from very cold air or very hot air.
Yep, but it doesn't in a lot of rigs. You have to dig into the R values to see.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #25

I didn't read every comment, and someone may have mentioned it already but, to keep warm on the coldest nights, try closing the slides in the living area. Makes a smaller space to heat and less wall exposed to the outside temps. My furnace runs much less with fewer cubit feet of air to heat. Fireplace does most of the heating with slides closed. Just make sure floor vents aren't covered by slides and heater/fireplace isn't too close to objects.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:04 PM   #26

Mr-D, I wonder what an R-Value really means. Does an R-7 wall mean the whole wall including windows and dryer vent? R-29 in the ceiling does it count the 3 vents?

I think when they talk about R-Values it is a sub-section of wall, floor, or ceiling. Not the whole side wall, floor or ceiling.

Now I have seen pictures of 5th wheels in snow...like the Redwood sales pictures. My question is how much the furnace is running in those conditions. If the furnace runs continually 100% then that is a bogus, mis-leading picture.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:12 PM   #27

R value is the wall section windows are excluded.
S and B house 4in wall is R12. 6in wall is R20.
Ceiling is R20 to R40

Trailers have R7 or so walls and R20 or more ceiling. Most heat is lost on high parts like ceiling and vents.
2 AC would be much larger loss then one. Specially the bedroom one.
We have one AC at lower ceiling at the rear and vent pillows for 3 other vents.
Our floors are build with 4 in foam insulation over R28. Slides are 1in plywood with carpet cover. But cool floors are not exactly a waste of heat as hot air goes up. Its just an inconvenient.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:19 AM   #28

Yes it's an Alpine and sometimes I think we must have a freak because it's not skirted and when I get home most days the wife is sitting on the floor facebooking while watching soaps. The floor is more comfortable than the couch and must be warm.

What you can't see is there's a shedind the unit nearly the whole length and that blocks the wind.

Last night -4 and the furnace only came on a couple of times. Fireplace going and an oil filled heater in the basement.

Tomorrow is supposed to be nearly 30 so the heat pump will work again. I'll crank it to 80 and melt it all off by Monday. Once it's above about 28 the heat pump automatically takes over from the furnace