Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2014, 06:37 AM   #29

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm in North Florida and my motorhome's came on maybe 5 times on Tuesday night and might of been ten time yesterday all total. It would run for 15 to 20 minutes. I am at Gold Head State Park. It did get into the teens on Tuesday.
Seems like your short on insulation.
Did you get it from Rick Baker?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2014, 06:10 PM   #30

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Ok - today it was still chilly in north Florida. I was in a 2005 NuWa Hitchiker and then a 2008 Carriage Carri-lite. Even though both people said their furnace runs too much both 5ers were much warmer than mine and their furnaces did not cycle on as often as mine. This cold spell even has my DW thinking we need a better unit...yippy
If you want a better insulated unit look at Excel, New Horizon, Continental Couch, Space Craft and DRV.

Our temps went down to 5 this week and we stayed very comfy in our Titanium

Old 01-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #31

Capn_Dave - that is very acceptable. My furnace would run most of the night. In a MH the ceilings are not as high as a 5th wheel but none the less - that is very acceptable.

soundman7 - I agree with the rigs you recommend. I see Forks, SpaceCraft and New Horizons will be at the Tampa show next week. I will check them out. Those rigs will stretch my budget but if I really like what I see I might be able to swing a smaller (to them) unit.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman7 View Post

If you want a better insulated unit look at Excel, New Horizon, Continental Couch, Space Craft and DRV.

Our temps went down to 5 this week and we stayed very comfy in our Titanium
a couple in our Heatland forum had to come to the rescue of a couple in a MS unit that every thing in the basement was freezing. With more insulation the evening went well.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:59 AM   #33

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Excel will also be at the Tampa show. Check them out.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:18 AM   #34

I have a chart with the locations of the manufacturers I want to visit at the Tampa Show. Excel (or Peterson) is on my list. I may drive to Ocala to look at a small Winslow (31ILE) in the next day or two before the Show. (I will call 1st to make sure it is not at the show).

I was at this show two years ago I could swear it was set up by 'Dealer'. I must have remembered it wrong because my chart shows it set up by manufacturer. Oh well - either way works.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:16 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
a couple in our Heatland forum had to come to the rescue of a couple in a MS unit that every thing in the basement was freezing. With more insulation the evening went well.
That was us...we are in a 2013 Landmark and they are in a 2012 MS.

The temps here got down to -6...we put batten insulation in the UDC to protect water connections and wrapped both propane tanks in batten insulation. The only other thing we did was use a Pirit heated hose and wrapped and covered the water hydrant so we did not have to run off fresh water tank. The Landmark does have dual panes, yetti package (heated tanks and water line) and added insulation in the slide floors, end caps and batten insulation in the belly.

We did use the fireplace and one oil filled radiator to supplement the interior spaces, but put nothing in the basement or belly...we had zero issues, nothing froze, and everything worked as expected...AND the furnace during this time only cycled once an hour for 15 minutes or so, keeping us at a comfortable 70 degrees. We are still working off the same 40 lb propane tank and the temps were below or close to zero for more than three days.

Our neighbor in the DRV came over on the day the temps dipped to -6, she said she had not had water since she got up. Neither from the city side or from her tank...we investigated and were surprised to find that the water manifold had frozen. Their hose was heated and we determined they had water to the unit, but no further. Their furnace was cycling as we could feel the air going into the basement when we opened the sliding door to expose the manifold.

We put a small heater next to the manifold to thaw it out and everything returned to normal after about 30 minutes when it thawed...we could see some of the batten insulation in the belly...we are still stumped as to why this occured, but it did.

P.S. to eliminate further issues in the DRV we wrapped the manifold and water filter in batten insulation...they have been fine since.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:30 PM   #36

Oil filled heater in the basement takes a lot of the fear out and keeps the BR floor nice and warm
Old 01-17-2014, 09:24 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
they likely wasn't running their furnace. DRV has a dedicated heat duct running into basement. Many try to save propane with a space heater (electric or propane) and not cycle their furnace. It would freeze if you do this.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:43 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
they likely wasn't running their furnace. DRV has a dedicated heat duct running into basement. Many try to save propane with a space heater (electric or propane) and not cycle their furnace. It would freeze if you do this.
Their furnace WAS running the entire time...even the sliding door to the basement was closed...but it was frozen solid...took 30 minutes with an electric heater to thaw it. Was fine after we wrapped the manifold with batten insulation.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #39

We manage to stay warm in our Elkridge. BUT the water freezes!. We put a heat blanket on the water tank but still froze. Any ideas?
Old 01-18-2014, 07:07 PM   #40

Drain the water, enclose the underbelly, and route heat from the furnace to it.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:55 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankie3467 View Post
We manage to stay warm in our Elkridge. BUT the water freezes!. We put a heat blanket on the water tank but still froze. Any ideas?
If you are on tanks and using the water pump, it's probably the pump freezing up, not the tank. Introduce some heat into the basement area to keep the pump from freezing up...
Old 01-18-2014, 09:37 PM   #42

On December 21st we left our unit in Hammond LA and went home to Canada for Christmas.
Our Big Country was stored till last night with no connections to power or water.
Backed by 200 Watts solar panels and batteries we set the furnace at 40F and made sure the tanks were full.
The neighbor was very worried about our unit while we were gone and asked me today how we did.
He said there were a lot of cold nights down to 18F.
We arrived last night and everything was exactly as we left it. Batteries at 12.7 volts and one empty tank of propane.
My tanks were used as heatsinks. So temperature did not drop to fast at night and black water creates its own heat.
We have no tank heaters but double glazed Windows.
Our unit has been great in cold weather and I was confident it was going to do well on its own.