Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2017, 08:42 PM   #1

Thoughts from the RV show

I had a chance to spend a couple hours at the RV show in Portland, OR this morning. This is the 3rd or 4th show I've been to so I know the routine pretty well. Also, I'm on my 5th RV in the last 20 years and am a bit of a junkie I suppose. I work in residential construction but am also fascinated by Manf. homes and RVs.

Anyway, I currently have a 2016 Keystone Hideout and am not seriously shopping at all. Just keeping an ear to the ground. I love my Hideout but realize it's put together with cardboard and thumbtacks.

From running around for a couple hours I was pretty impressed with the higher end models. Redwoods, Arctic Fox, Grand Design, Montana and a bunch of others I'm forgetting. The floor plans sure are diverse. One thing I was surprised at was that in a lot of the high end fivers the bedrooms feel really cramped. Looking at the W/D hookups you'd be hard pressed to reach your clothes in the closet with the appliance in place.

The living rooms sure are nice though. I sat down in a couple theater type seats and watched the 50" TV and just had to laugh that I was still in an RV. And the bedroom thing wasn't small in all of them by any stretch. I was in plenty that had lots of space. It was just the most noticeable thing that would make me instantly rule out many trailers. If I'm going the drop 75K on a 5th wheel I better be able to stand at the end of the bed and put my socks on

Anyone who has never attended a show I highly recommend it. It's the best way to shop a HUGE sample of brands and floor plans with minimal hassling from a salesman.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2017, 09:08 AM   #2

Wife and I are considering getting into camping and an RV show us where we will start. Nothing like getting all the information and being able to look at various models in one spot. Bedroom space going to be pivotal for me since I'm 6'4. If I wanted to be cramped getting dressed in the morning I might as well just tent camp.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:47 AM   #3

Evergreen Owners Club
Big contrast from the RV show in Novi MI about a month ago. This is supposed to be Michigan's premier RV show. No representation from ANY manufacturer that I could find. Keep in mind Novi is only 200 miles from the RV "capital of the world". It was as if some local dealers got together to stage an open house sale, and brought whatever inventory they happened to have on hand or needed to off. Lots of units, but seemed like the same 3 or 4 brands. If I had any questions, the only people on hand to answer them were dealer salespeople. To sum it up, this was by no means a representation of what RV's the industry has to offer. And given the almost complete absence of manufacturers and suppliers, quite a statement as to what they think of the Michigan RV market and the consumers therein.
ac5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac5501 View Post
Big contrast from the RV show in Novi MI about a month ago. This is supposed to be Michigan's premier RV show. No representation from ANY manufacturer that I could find.
This is the same as the Dallas Texas "show" claimed to be the largest in Texas, although they have finally changed the name to "Super Sale" from "Super Show" as it really is just the dealers bringing their stock, with curtained cubicles set up for the sales deal/paperwork.

The big shows that the manufacturers attend are usually at the FMCA conventions (for motorhomes, and it is being held in AZ this week), Pomona, Hershey, and Tampa, IIRC.

Michelle
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:56 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I always like going to the shows even if the late DW didn't. Just like to look at the new rigs and different floorplans. One problem I've had is finding enough high end MH's to make it worthwhile although I also like to check out what the vendors have to offer.
What I've found is that the FMCA rallies offer more of what I like to look at.
A couple months ago I made reservations for a rally this weekend so I won't have time to go to the show.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:03 PM   #6

Was totally unimpressed at the local show. Everything seems targeted at newbies, lots of glitz with many design/quality problems. I agree, most bedrooms are small, although one had a bed slide within a wall slide, so plenty of room at the foot of the bed. But one $80k unit was stupid, optional king bed but the bedroom door could only be opened half way, even with the mattress lifted the door still hit the bed base. Island kitchens are the rage and they look good til you try and live in the unit. Unless you are OCD, food and dishes quickly collect on the island and stand out like a beacon.

Anyway I saw many units 2 - 3 times more expensive than mine that I would not want for both design and quality issues.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:32 PM   #7

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayle1 View Post

Anyway I saw many units 2 - 3 times more expensive than mine that I would not want for both design and quality issues.
I Noticed almost the same at the last show as well. Glad I bought what I did and when.

Really can't fault the show producers though. Pretty sure this years "event" brought record attendance and sales. Everybody round here sure seems happy.

Why bother putting on a "5 star buffet" when people are tripping over themselves to pay for "hot dogs and potato chips"
ac5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac5501 View Post
Really can't fault the show producers though. Pretty sure this years "event" brought record attendance and sales. Everybody round here sure seems happy.
"
I don't fault the show organizers or dealers, they are going to bring what they think will sell. Although few dealers or manufacturers show any pride by trying to present "show quality" products. But still the manufacturers that have years of experience aren't focused on real livable floorplans.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomAndJenn View Post
I'm 6'4. If I wanted to be cramped getting dressed in the morning I might as well just tent camp.
Exact same here. Anything RV related is always kind of a challenge. My next gripe is all the recliners are made for people 5'7". The end of the foot rest usually sits right about at the back of my knee
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:01 PM   #10

I had not been to an RV show since the 90's in Austin, Texas so went to the one last year, 2016, in Nashville. As described above it was just three or four local dealers who got together apparently.

There was a decent showing of towables but only 2 class C motorhomes and nor more than a half dozen Class A ones. I felt totally ripped off to have driven 45 minutes to get there, paid $15 to park and then ten bucks at the door each for my wife and myself to only see what I can see already locally.Needless to say they did not get my money or time this year.

I am excited that for 2017 we have planned our vacation to Washington DC for September around all attending the Hershey RV show so I will get to experience my first real big time show where over a couple of days I should be able to check out 5th wheels and Class A's to my hearts content!
Notlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:18 PM   #11

KZ RV Club
We felt the same way about the Springfield Mass show last month.
Popsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:40 PM   #12

We ordered a 40 1/2' Grand Design Solitude 384GK Residential back in December. We weren't planing to, but we are hosting with 3 other couples at a RV park in North AL. We will be living in ours for 7 months. GD are solid well built RV's. Look around, do your research and pick what best serves you and your wife.

2017 F 350, Bronze Fire, King Ranch Ulitmate
[SIGPIC]https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic204267_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
Wolffox00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
.............. One thing I was surprised at was that in a lot of the high end fivers the bedrooms feel really cramped. Looking at the W/D hookups you'd be hard pressed to reach your clothes in the closet with the appliance in place.

The living rooms sure are nice though. I sat down in a couple theater type seats and watched the 50" TV and just had to laugh that I was still in an RV. And the bedroom thing wasn't small in all of them by any stretch. I was in plenty that had lots of space. It was just the most noticeable thing that would make me instantly rule out many trailers. If I'm going the drop 75K on a 5th wheel I better be able to stand at the end of the bed and put my socks on

Anyone who has never attended a show I highly recommend it. It's the best way to shop a HUGE sample of brands and floor plans with minimal hassling from a salesman.
When we were looking for a 5er (used) we wanted a roomy bed room, as our first fiver was really tight.
Well we managed to find almost all we wanted in the one we purchased. The only newer 5er I have seem with a similar floor plan is the Arctic Fox 29-K5 rear kitchen Mid entry and living and as I call it a master suite.

This is the Arctic Fox that we like a lot almost identical to our Copper Canyon.

Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notlad View Post
I am excited that for 2017 we have planned our vacation to Washington DC for September around all attending the Hershey RV show so I will get to experience my first real big time show where over a couple of days I should be able to check out 5th wheels and Class A's to my hearts content!
You will have a great time at the Hershey show just make sure you have reservations early as that area fills up fast when the show is there.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote