Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2016, 02:39 PM   #15

half dimes,
The 374 is a new model GD just came out with. It is the 376 in Solitude trim. Only other difference is it does not have a fueling station and is only "Generator prepped". Factory says they will NOT install a generator from the factory on this unit period, exclamation point! Not sure why but they are sticking to that very strong....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2016, 02:56 PM   #16

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
half dimes,
The 374 is a new model GD just came out with. It is the 376 in Solitude trim. Only other difference is it does not have a fueling station and is only "Generator prepped". Factory says they will NOT install a generator from the factory on this unit period, exclamation point! Not sure why but they are sticking to that very strong....
Thanks for the info. Odd that GD doesn't show it on their website.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:13 PM   #17

Is no one familiar with New Horizons RV? They sell only direct to customers and are the only 5 Star rated RV manufacturer. Visit their site and you will be impressed. The problem is that they are more expensive, but when you ask what is best that will usually be the most expensive. Superior quality and cheap don't go together.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Is no one familiar with New Horizons RV? They sell only direct to customers and are the only 5 Star rated RV manufacturer. Visit their site and you will be impressed. The problem is that they are more expensive, but when you ask what is best that will usually be the most expensive. Superior quality and cheap don't go together.

And don't forget the semi-tractor you need to pull. One guy I talked to showed up with his new F450 and they said to come back with enough truck!

2012 NuWay HitchHiker 363RSBDA, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7
Old 08-24-2016, 04:52 PM   #19

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
I think most of us know about New Horizons. But since the OP asked about Grand Design, that's what we've been talking about. Not everyone can afford a rig at the NH price point, or even need a unit designed basically for fulltimers. The GD price point isn't what I would call cheap, but it's more affordable for a lot of people and is getting generally good reviews.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:23 PM   #20

Actually I would be VERY interested in ANY 5th wheel that has the SAME type of floor plan as the Grand Design 376 (IE: the rear bedroom with garage UNDER the bedroom). I just didn't know anyone else was making that floorplan. Oddly enough I have asked that very question in another post I think??
Old 08-24-2016, 07:31 PM   #21

I looked at the New Horizon website. As far as I can tell they don't make the floor plan I am looking for. If that changes I would be interested. I also looked at my original post and besides asking what everyone thought of Grand Design (because at least at this point they are the ONLY company making the UNDER the rear bedroom garage floorplan) I did in fact ask what yall thought were the best 3 or 4 brands based exclusively on quality of build (IE:reguardless of price). So bringing up the New Horizon was not out of the conversation if it is considered "top end quality build".
Old 08-25-2016, 09:44 AM   #22

Thank you for the comment. The only thing I would add is that NH will build any layout you can come up with. More expensive but if it works it works.
We all want the biggest truck right. Those new 550's are pretty nice. Actually you can find decent class 8's with lots of miles left for what you would pay for a new MDT.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:37 AM   #23

Thanks Harley,

I will have to look into the NH brand. Not familiar with the company. Sounds like they may be a quality build BUT the idea of trading in the 1 ton we just bought two weeks ago is not very appealing. I really don't see us ever going any larger than that for the tow vehicle.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:57 PM   #24

So far so good

Just purchased a GD 29RS. DW loves it and thats all that matters. Much roomier that I thought it would be and tons of storage which is number one on my short list

I dont mean to hijack this post but if anyone can tell me why the battery is screwed down and difficult to remove. My former TT I always took it out to recharge it before any trip (We seem to dry camp more) The GD battery looks like a pain to keep removing. Or do you? Any thoughts
Old 08-26-2016, 10:29 PM   #25

I think you did mean to hijack the thread. Just admit it. Next time start a new one.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:13 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_OC View Post
Just purchased a GD 29RS. DW loves it and thats all that matters. Much roomier that I thought it would be and tons of storage which is number one on my short list

I dont mean to hijack this post but if anyone can tell me why the battery is screwed down and difficult to remove. My former TT I always took it out to recharge it before any trip (We seem to dry camp more) The GD battery looks like a pain to keep removing. Or do you? Any thoughts
We only remove ours during the off season. No need to remove unless you are not using it for an extended period of time and in the winter to prevent freezing. We have a 2016 Grand Design Momentum and the batteries are secured in the front compartment. Keeps everything nice and secure during travel IMHO.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:23 AM   #27

Evergreen Owners Club
As far as my thoughts on Grand Design I will most likely never purchase from them. Yes they are an up and coming company. However, they are relying too heavily on after the fact warranty work rather than turning out quality in the first place. I have read of far too many warranty problems that should have been addressed at the factory. Like on going dropped tanks, sewer, fresh or gray water. Take your pick.

Leaking plumbing continues. Window frames coming loose and almost falling out.

A company can not survive on after the fact repairs of shoddy workmanship.

Yes, they seem to have a fantastic warranty department. However, an overload of warranty work will soon become more than a company can bear. Profits have to take a beating with an over abundance of warranty work.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:37 PM   #28

I'm on my third 5th wheel in nine years, all bought new. And by far my Grand Design Solitude if the best so far. Three and a half years, 25,000 miles later and I wouldn't consider trading for any other brand, period...

2014 Grand Design Solitude, 369RL, #107
2016 Chevy 3500HD, SRW, Diesel/Allison
Gsport is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel