Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcaravelli View Post
I am about to lose my home and you are cracking jokes?
You've got a serious problem, but not one you can't overcome. Get the roof fixed and let it dry out. I agree with some of the posters here about getting it moved to a drier climate. It would really be nice if you could have the repairs done in these drier climates so the internals of the roof can be exposed to the dry air. If the roof is peeled back you may even have a chance to remove all insulation and paint the internal structure of the ceiling with Kilz or Zinnser Bulls Eye to prevent growth inside the ceiling. Even if it costs you $15K for repairs and transportation expenses it would be cheaper than a down payment for new trailer. You'd be lucky to get something as nice as the Escalade for that kind of money.

I live in Florida and have the same problems as you with humidity. Mold and mildew are a fact of life for us. Unfortunately you also have the problems with windows and walls sweating during winter time that I don't have. Unless you have an extreme allergy to molds and mildew (like my wife), you may be able to work through this problem.

But I agree with others, if you encounter mold during repairs, have it tested. Some species of mold are quite toxic, especially in the tight confines of a trailer.

Smile, anytime life hits you with a challenge, just take it one step at a time and don't let it take you down in the process

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #30

kcaravelli,
I thought KZ was pretty good with factory support. Have you talked to them at all? I would think that if you really want to keep the trailer, schedule a trip to the factory and have them fix it--even if its your only home, there are motels for a stay while they work on it.
I have been to IN several times for factory work--I make a vacation trip out of it, and get items worked on.
Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #31

Thank you for your contributions

Hi, I just wanted to take a minute and thank all of you for your excellent contributions. Here is the action we have taken at this point.

1. We have had the insurance adjuster out to look at it. Hi investigation was consistent with our RV tech in terms of what they found. The difference is that the RV tech was more pessimistic about the ability to save our coach. Insurance won't cover it of course as it was my oversight not to have the old seals completely removed and redone when we took it out from under cover where we had live in both our RVs.

2. We have decided to purchase another RV carport www.lostvalleycarport.net. I have spoken with the owner and like what I am seeing in his work. We have previously owned a vinyl RV carport but did not like how we had to deal with the snow and the vinyl RV carport....that was NOT fun. It was also a behemoth size at 24'x40'. Too big to manage and move and too costly to move. So we are going with this other company..

3. I have spoken with several RV techs on this. One of them is the service manager at a very large RV shop with 6 bays north of Seattle. I have done a lot of business with them in the past and they have been very straight with me. Everyone I speak with is telling me that $5,000 to $10,000 is a pretty accurate price range for dealing with this.

4. It is not all gloom and doom after all, not yet anyway.
Our mobile RV tech calls himself a "master RV tech" whatever that means. He is good but I think his concept that we are doomed in terms of dealing with mold and so forth is overstated after speaking with folks. When I asked him if our trailer was basically trashed he agreed. Truth be told it is not trashed I think is very salvageable after listening to numerous people and their opinions as well as speaking with our other RV tech who actually do this type of work. Mobile techs see a lot of water damage of course but none of them and I mean none of them have the facilities for proper repair of a damaged roof like this. S their opinion has limited value which I probably gave too much weight to.

5. Mold. We don't have any signs of mold just yet. As full-timers we know we have to stay of top of this which we do. The moisture in the rear wall of our slides is what concerns me a lot. We may see about replacing them ,not sure yet.

6. Dehumidifiers have been a mainstay in both our coaches since going full-time. We find they are tremendously helpful in reducing moisture from condensation and general winter moisture. We do not have nearly the moisture problem in our Escalade that we did in our Itasca, Suncruiser...that was a real issue there. The Escalade is surprisingly dry and without a lot of condensation we have seen previously. We did not need to use the dehumidifiers nearly as much with this coach and when we did there was very little moisture collected. So, that is a good indicator of our environmental needs regarding mold going forward.

7. Currently drying out roof as fast as I can. The tech at Poulsbo RV where we are taking it for an initial estimate has told me that getting large volumes of air on the we area will help a LOT in terms of preventing mold. So I have opened up most of our air conditioner ports that drop air into our coach. I have taken the plastic vent caps with the little louvers off and found that there is two or three inches of space between the ducting system running from the air conditioners through the roof and these vent caps. So I cut some round cardboard pieces and screwed those into place where the vent caps are so the air would be forced into the roof cavity between the headliner and the outside wall which provides a crawl space type area of about 4 inches. I now turn on the air to max fan on fan only mode on both air conditioners so that during the warmer dryer time of day it is essentially drying out the roof water damage with high fan action as mentioned. I think this will help a lot. Is there risk of hurting my fans...not really.

8. We are having Poulsbo RV do the initial damage assessment. We don't own a truck and have a well qualified man drive our coach using his truck when we need so getting several cost estimates is not practical. Poulsbo has the best and most well qualified RV techs in the area near Seattle according to our mobile Tech. They are more expensive but not overly so. We used to pay Roy's RV up in Marysville,WA $117/hour and Poulsbo charges $120. We don't mind paying a little more to get the job done right. If the damage is within our budget and the range we are hearing as typical which we are optimistic that it will be then we will get the coached fixed right then.

9. Once we find out what the damage assessment is after they look at it and more so, after they start the work then we can deal with possible mold issues. Poulsbo said they do an bleach wash of the concerned areas and they have beat mold before doing this. It all depends on what condition they find things in after opening up the coach.

10. Transitional living. Here is the catcher. We have to find a place to live and we don't want to spend our loan money for fixing the coach on housing. We have been looking around and thought we had something ideal as a sublet to an apartment for a couple of months but we are now back to looking at extended stay hotels and such as well as possibly boarding our Rottweiler. He is a great pet but relocating for a temporary stay has not been easy to figure out. It would be best if we could just find an affordable room for rent in a house near our current location that would let us keep our dog there. Boarding the dog is very expensive.

That's all I have at this point. It all starts May 10th. We need to move out and prep our coach for the journey to the shop and move in somewhere for a few weeks or more while they are fixing it. They estimated it would take a couple weeks once they can get to it.

Thanks again to everyone for chipping in. I have reviewed all the comments and considering many of them depending on what we find. I may move the coach over to Eastern Washington for a month or so the dry it out but it gets pretty warm and dry here in Seattle in the summer so I don't think I need to do that. Also upending our life has to kept to a minimum as we both work full-time.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcaravelli View Post
Hi, I just wanted to take a minute and thank all of you for your excellent contributions. Here is the action we have taken at this point.

1. We have had the insurance adjuster out to look at it. Hi investigation was consistent with our RV tech in terms of what they found. The difference is that the RV tech was more pessimistic about the ability to save our coach. Insurance won't cover it of course as it was my oversight not to have the old seals completely removed and redone when we took it out from under cover where we had live in both our RVs.

2. We have decided to purchase another RV carport www.lostvalleycarport.net. I have spoken with the owner and like what I am seeing in his work. We have previously owned a vinyl RV carport but did not like how we had to deal with the snow and the vinyl RV carport....that was NOT fun. It was also a behemoth size at 24'x40'. Too big to manage and move and too costly to move. So we are going with this other company..

3. I have spoken with several RV techs on this. One of them is the service manager at a very large RV shop with 6 bays north of Seattle. I have done a lot of business with them in the past and they have been very straight with me. Everyone I speak with is telling me that $5,000 to $10,000 is a pretty accurate price range for dealing with this.

4. It is not all gloom and doom after all, not yet anyway.
Our mobile RV tech calls himself a "master RV tech" whatever that means. He is good but I think his concept that we are doomed in terms of dealing with mold and so forth is overstated after speaking with folks. When I asked him if our trailer was basically trashed he agreed. Truth be told it is not trashed I think is very salvageable after listening to numerous people and their opinions as well as speaking with our other RV tech who actually do this type of work. Mobile techs see a lot of water damage of course but none of them and I mean none of them have the facilities for proper repair of a damaged roof like this. S their opinion has limited value which I probably gave too much weight to.

5. Mold. We don't have any signs of mold just yet. As full-timers we know we have to stay of top of this which we do. The moisture in the rear wall of our slides is what concerns me a lot. We may see about replacing them ,not sure yet.

6. Dehumidifiers have been a mainstay in both our coaches since going full-time. We find they are tremendously helpful in reducing moisture from condensation and general winter moisture. We do not have nearly the moisture problem in our Escalade that we did in our Itasca, Suncruiser...that was a real issue there. The Escalade is surprisingly dry and without a lot of condensation we have seen previously. We did not need to use the dehumidifiers nearly as much with this coach and when we did there was very little moisture collected. So, that is a good indicator of our environmental needs regarding mold going forward.

7. Currently drying out roof as fast as I can. The tech at Poulsbo RV where we are taking it for an initial estimate has told me that getting large volumes of air on the we area will help a LOT in terms of preventing mold. So I have opened up most of our air conditioner ports that drop air into our coach. I have taken the plastic vent caps with the little louvers off and found that there is two or three inches of space between the ducting system running from the air conditioners through the roof and these vent caps. So I cut some round cardboard pieces and screwed those into place where the vent caps are so the air would be forced into the roof cavity between the headliner and the outside wall which provides a crawl space type area of about 4 inches. I now turn on the air to max fan on fan only mode on both air conditioners so that during the warmer dryer time of day it is essentially drying out the roof water damage with high fan action as mentioned. I think this will help a lot. Is there risk of hurting my fans...not really.

8. We are having Poulsbo RV do the initial damage assessment. We don't own a truck and have a well qualified man drive our coach using his truck when we need so getting several cost estimates is not practical. Poulsbo has the best and most well qualified RV techs in the area near Seattle according to our mobile Tech. They are more expensive but not overly so. We used to pay Roy's RV up in Marysville,WA $117/hour and Poulsbo charges $120. We don't mind paying a little more to get the job done right. If the damage is within our budget and the range we are hearing as typical which we are optimistic that it will be then we will get the coached fixed right then.

9. Once we find out what the damage assessment is after they look at it and more so, after they start the work then we can deal with possible mold issues. Poulsbo said they do an bleach wash of the concerned areas and they have beat mold before doing this. It all depends on what condition they find things in after opening up the coach.

10. Transitional living. Here is the catcher. We have to find a place to live and we don't want to spend our loan money for fixing the coach on housing. We have been looking around and thought we had something ideal as a sublet to an apartment for a couple of months but we are now back to looking at extended stay hotels and such as well as possibly boarding our Rottweiler. He is a great pet but relocating for a temporary stay has not been easy to figure out. It would be best if we could just find an affordable room for rent in a house near our current location that would let us keep our dog there. Boarding the dog is very expensive.

That's all I have at this point. It all starts May 10th. We need to move out and prep our coach for the journey to the shop and move in somewhere for a few weeks or more while they are fixing it. They estimated it would take a couple weeks once they can get to it.

Thanks again to everyone for chipping in. I have reviewed all the comments and considering many of them depending on what we find. I may move the coach over to Eastern Washington for a month or so the dry it out but it gets pretty warm and dry here in Seattle in the summer so I don't think I need to do that. Also upending our life has to kept to a minimum as we both work full-time.
I'm glad to hear you sounding more optimistic. The plans you outline above is a positive one.

Know this. The scare tactics concerning "black mold" is largely driven by the legal profession. There are mold and mildew spores in the air around us all the time. They require food and moisture to become active. There are many organic glues and other building materials that are suitable foods. The key is to do as you are doing and concentrate on getting everything dried out. It will cost a few $$$ but chances are good it will work out fine.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #33
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update and best wishes for a great outcome.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #34

Good to hear you've got a quality RV repair facility handling the repairs for you. Just make sure you stay on top of the repairs while it's going on and take LOTS of pictures. Might come in handy later. Hopefully they won't find any other problems up there. Might want to take advantage of the repairs and replace any of the old roof vents and hardware if it wasn't planned already.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #35

It's great to hear you have a plan in place. Best wishes!

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #36

After reading your story, I immediately called my insurance company, Progressive, and used your scenario on my unit to see if I would be covered. They said I am/would be covered under the Comprehensive portion if my policy. I began to get into many other scenarios regarding water intrusion and they responded with it doesn't matter how the water intrusion happened (ie worn caulking, leaking roof vent, etc), I would be covered.

In short, maybe a consideration for you to think about changing to Progressive or another company that would cover you for your insurance needs.

Keep us updated. Best of luck!
Old 04-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #37

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAMTJ View Post
After reading your story, I immediately called my insurance company, Progressive, and used your scenario on my unit to see if I would be covered. They said I am/would be covered under the Comprehensive portion if my policy. I began to get into many other scenarios regarding water intrusion and they responded with it doesn't matter how the water intrusion happened (ie worn caulking, leaking roof vent, etc), I would be covered.

In short, maybe a consideration for you to think about changing to Progressive or another company that would cover you for your insurance needs.

Keep us updated. Best of luck!
Anybody can say, "It's covered." Show me the money!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #38

Regarding the transitional living and your dog - call around. There are some motels that allow pets.

Jim
Old 04-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #39

Thor Owners Club
Really glad it has turned out much better than expected. Lesson for all of us though to check out our rigs top to bottom more frequently, and chat with our insurer to make certain we have solid insurance in place. Thanks for the update !!!!
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:33 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
(Great) and good luck on the repair.

James
Old 04-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #41

I spoke to my go to repair guy in East Wenatchee about the price of the roof repair and he said the guy had to be planning on a complete new roof.

As far as one being a "master" repairman, that is just fluff.

Good luck with your fifth wheel roof.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #42

Update on coach repairs

Hi,

They put on an entire new roof. ($7,100) It was a bit more expensive due to the length of the coach (40'). This means they had to remove everything off the roof. They found a bit more water damage near the front air conditioner so it was a good move to do the whole thing.

I had them remove the satellite dish and also the fridge vent since we have already replaced the fridge with a residential fridge. We also had them remove the old style TV antenna which again is one less area to worry about leaks. I am hoping to minimize the amount of leak points that are needing to be up there.

One interesting note is that the roof on our fifth wheel (2007 40' KZ Escalade REB) is 1/2 inch plywood. The tech had ordered 1/4 inch plywood because he says that is what most if not all the coaches he see have. So our Escalade is apparently built like a battleship.

Now we just need to deal with the possible mold from areas the techs could not get to that had water damage such as in the slide outs where the water leaked down one of the rear slide walls. We will just have to work on that as we go.

We are looking forward to getting our life back next week when we pick it up.