Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
If you have a isolated area that is not busy ei.Walmart parking lot,open field,rest area, truck stop. You can go there and practice parking. The more it is done the easier it is. The spotter should always tell which way the rear of the trailer is too go, not the truck or steering wheel..Get a feel for just turning and traveling backwards.An open field or pasture is a great place.
One other thing is 5ers are taller and you need to be aware and always watch for low hanging obstacles,(mine is 13'4" tall) you might have to swing wider to avoid them.Fiberglass cracks easily when hitting a stiff tree branch.. Overall you are going to love the way the 5er pulls and backs.
I didn't see in your post if you are a short or long box..Short box has more issues if the wrong 5th wheel hitch is used, but turns sharper which is a positive aspect.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #16

I have a short bed with a Husky 16k slider hitch. It pulls nice but occasionally you feel the trailer even with the Moreryde setup. I plan to switch hitches to a air ride setup before we fulltime.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:26 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnmarine View Post
I have a short bed with a Husky 16k slider hitch. It pulls nice but occasionally you feel the trailer even with the Moreryde setup. I plan to switch hitches to a air ride setup before we fulltime.
That is the exact same hitch I use, and I have a short box crew cab. You can still hit the cab when turning with a short bed truck. I installed a 5th Airbourne side winder on the trailer..But there a several auto sliding hitches that will do the job..... I found the best prices at .hhttp://www.olbeasthitch.com/20.html they were very helpful and prompt.shipping was less than a week..At least with either setup you can corner with confidence of not damaging your tv. or trailer..
Old 11-16-2010, 07:18 PM   #18

Last week was our first time with a 5 th wheel. I found the 4 low and like it seems to be better on the trans. The wood! The back of my truck had 1x8, 2x8, 4x4 and 6x6 pieces cut in one and two ft. lengths. I cut 6x6 and attached handles to go under the jacks. This helps the front jack from running all the way up and down. My backing got much better as the week went on. Thank God! Due to my driving experience of never driving a 5 th wheel my top speed was 65 MPH. That is it. We spend more time avoiding people on cell phones or just stupid driving skills than anything.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:14 AM   #19

Place a padlock on the fifth wheel. Doing this will prevent a prankster from ruining your truck bed, the front of your trailer and your week. Make up a routine towing precheck list and stick to it. This last thing I do before towing is disconnect the shore power. The first thing is locking the hitch.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:24 PM   #20

A padlock! I never gave that a thought. We will purchase one this week.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:20 PM   #21

What i found to really increase my confidence was the GPS leading us down a very narrow dead end levee road with steep drop offs that ended at the Mississippi River and doing a three point turnaround. Piece of cake and that was just my second time backing up only had it 4 days. Just take your time.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:47 PM   #22

I will also recommend the 4x4 Low Range method.

Idle produces more torque than needed, and going slow is the ticket to getting it right the first time.

I never count the number of times I get out to look at where the trailer is going. I always do it by myself, and have never missed. Not lucky, just stubborn and need to not hit something.

DW can never seem to correlate the "where it is going" with the "where it is".

My RV drive has concrete walls on both sides of it with 18" on the left, 24" on the right as it enters, and a narrow 2 lane road with a fence across from my drive. I have to get the front wheels up on the sidewalk and the bumper within 24 inches of the opposite fence, or it is a no-go situation.

Practice is the answer, and knowing in advance where the tires should track.
AZgl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:19 PM   #23

Excel Owners Club
I got a rear camera to see my motorcycles on my Hydralift carrier. Turns out it's also great for backing. It won't replace a backer, but it sure helps.

Amen on low range!
KTM Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:20 PM   #24

I'm curious about using 4w low; are you using it on non-paved sites? My owners manual does not recommend using it on pavement, I have had it in 4w high on pavement and it does not like it at all when turning the wheel since the front hubs automatically lock.

Mike
Old 11-30-2010, 04:33 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncie_6spd View Post
I'm curious about using 4w low; are you using it on non-paved sites? My owners manual does not recommend using it on pavement, I have had it in 4w high on pavement and it does not like it at all when turning the wheel since the front hubs automatically lock.

Mike
Not an issue for those who have Manually locking hubs and a Manual X-fer case. The reason for no 4X on dry streets, this causes a "binding" effect on the drive train, in severe cases this could cause the chain in the X-fer case to stretch. But for the usual short back up into a driveway or camp spot this is a non issue.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/white/ not far from home...
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:16 PM   #26

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncie_6spd View Post

Mike
Low range doesn't work for those of us with late-model Superdutys, unless you're on dirt or gravel, or going a short distance in a straight line on pavement. We can't unlock our hubs in 4WD and there's no differential in the transfer case to allow the front and rear axles to turn at different speeds.
KTM Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:19 PM   #27

Low Range should work for any 4x4 as long as you pay attention.

I only lock up in 4 Low after the rig and truck are in a straight line, and then the TT is being pushed uphill. The front axle in my case only needs to roll about 6 to 8 feet to get off of pavement and then it is loose gravel.

Even if I needed to use 4 Low in a turn backing up, I would not get concerned because of the extremely slow speed, and the very short distance required to complete the turn to straighten up the truck inline with the trailer.

I would expect that no one should need to use 4 Low for more than about 20 feet. That is not going to kill your transfer case.
AZgl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:02 PM   #28

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnmarine View Post
We just picked up ours last week and I need to practice backing into spaces. It's a lot different than a bumper trailer or even my old Class A. Some have provided me a few tips. Would like to hear more from everyone else.

What advice can you give on towing, backing, or just setting up a 5RV?

Backing is very easy, I taught my daughter when she was ten years old how to back a trailer, Put either hand, right or left on the bottom center of your steering wheel. Now move your hand to the direction you want the back of the trailer to go. This method is a no brainier. Good luck with your new adventure.