Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2010, 06:35 PM   #29

Idrove truck for 42 years all the tips are good just take your time it gets easer each time you do it

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2010, 12:35 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Get yourself a pair of FRS radios. We use then all the time. DW gets out and tells me where to go. I have made it a practice to never move unless I can see her in the mirrors. It is her job to watch my rear end, give me directions. I never respond to her on the radio, just listen.
Don't all the DW's tell us where to go?

Old 02-09-2011, 04:45 AM   #31

A cell phone in speaker mode works too. I agree backing driver side may be easier, but you need to practice both. Most parks with angled lots you will have to do it the other way. I'm actually slightly better backing blind. I've got 2 kids that have driven semi's for a living and they both say they were much better on the 'blind' side. (Must be heriditary). Also letting my wife practice backing has improved her directions. It turns out that she is a whiz at backing the truck up to the trailer. Hits it dead on almost every time.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:04 AM   #32

my wife spots me when backing... she'll stand directly behind the 5th wheel. and I know when im all the way back when I can see her running out of the way!
lynn boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #33

I grew up on a farm (backing wagons instead of trailers is infinitely harder) so the 5er is no issue. It didn't really click for my wife until
1) we both practiced in a parking lot. Half full pop/water bottles make fine cones. This let her ask questions about what I was doing, plus let me figure out what I was doing (I just did it without thinking)
2) we discussed what I had done vs what she had done
3) we bought a toy truck and trailer at Camping World so we could discuss what we were doing.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Lots of good advice. The reason for the wide turn advice is that the 5th wheel cuts the corner and goes inside of the turn since it is attached in the bed of the truck and not back on the bumper.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #35

When I got my truck, I noticed that I couldn't see the hitch out the back window. I was at a truck stop and I asked a trucker how they lined up the truck to the trailer. He told me to just equal each side looking through the side mirrors. That's easy, as your backing up, look out and make each side even and you'll line it up perfectly. This works better than a camera.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeigant View Post
When I got my truck, I noticed that I couldn't see the hitch out the back window. I was at a truck stop and I asked a trucker how they lined up the truck to the trailer. He told me to just equal each side looking through the side mirrors. That's easy, as your backing up, look out and make each side even and you'll line it up perfectly. This works better than a camera.
I hitched up my 5th wheel, then painted two verticle white lines (taped them off so they looked ok), one on the RV's pin box and one directly under it on the top lip of the hitch. From then on, lining up was easy.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #37

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick&Cheryl View Post
First and foremost, dont be in a hurry,,whether its on the road, hooking up or unhooking
Know you stopping distance at various speeds
Maintain a good safe distance between you and a vehicle in front of you
Been a while since I pulled any kind of trailer however the above is very very very very good advice.. I fully second it.

One thing I recommend is the local shopping mall at least 3 hours before start of the business day (Well, at least 2)

Take a set of "Dunce caps" or other easily run over things (Jack pads will do, empty or gallon milk jugs with a quart of water in 'em, things that 1: won't damage your equipemnt and 2: you won't mind if they get run over) and set up a psuedo campsite, practice backing into it, over and over, in a space where there is nothign to hit save the stuff you put down and the brakes.

Practice, as they say, makes,, well if not perfect, closer to it.

Myself.... That's more or less how I leaarned to back a trailer, Dozens and dozens and dozens of backing a farm trailer into a tight space over and over and over again till I got rather good at it. Hazard of being a genuine cowboy (or if you like growing up on a dairy farm). Oh, there is an advantage to being a Dairy Farm boy too.. When I listen to politicians speak.... Well... I've shoveled a few tons of that stuff too.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #38

Before we finish my wife always ends up giving me motions with her middle finger Jack