Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2015, 11:17 AM   #1

Tire Codes - Again (Sorry)

My wife and I bought a 2004 Alpenlite just after Thanksgiving 2014. I was very pleased to note that it had 4 tires from the same mfg (The previous rig that we looked at had 4 different mfg.'s tires). In any case, the tires on our Alpenlite are Michelin XPS Rib tires with good tread and no signs of cracking. The tire codes on each tire are these: HJEM A2JX 1106. The HJEM indicates that the tires were mfg in Ireland, but I don't know what the A2JX means. I'm fairly sure that the 1106 means that the tires were mfg in the 11th week of 2006. Since we don't know the history of the tires with the previous owners, I'm considering getting the tires replaced before our next trip. The previous owners were quite meticulous, so we had ALL owners manuals - except info on tires, which likely means that they did not replace the tires. Can someone tell me what the A2JX portion of the tire code means??

Thanks for your help.

Dave
UsAndScarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2015, 11:32 AM   #2

Dave , I checked the info I have on Michelin for RV's but what I have covers only their MH tires and no break down of the codes.
The 1106 would indicate a 10 year old tire so they are due to be replaced, and being on a 2004, trailer , they can't be the originals, someone had new tires when the unit was about 2 years old.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAndScarlet View Post
My wife and I bought a 2004 Alpenlite just after Thanksgiving 2014. I was very pleased to note that it had 4 tires from the same mfg (The previous rig that we looked at had 4 different mfg.'s tires). In any case, the tires on our Alpenlite are Michelin XPS Rib tires with good tread and no signs of cracking. The tire codes on each tire are these: HJEM A2JX 1106. The HJEM indicates that the tires were mfg in Ireland, but I don't know what the A2JX means. I'm fairly sure that the 1106 means that the tires were mfg in the 11th week of 2006. Since we don't know the history of the tires with the previous owners, I'm considering getting the tires replaced before our next trip. The previous owners were quite meticulous, so we had ALL owners manuals - except info on tires, which likely means that they did not replace the tires. Can someone tell me what the A2JX portion of the tire code means??
Thanks for your help.
Dave
UsAndScarlet
You are correct about the 1106.....(your tires are over 9 years old).
I don't know what the A2JX means... but I don't think that it's important on tires that should have been would have been replaced 2 - 3 years ago by any "meticulous" owner.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:37 PM   #4

I have a 10 year old tire on my truck that will not wear out. The tire is still looking great. LT tires for me are the solution to trailer application service. Well worth the expense to install similar tires.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAndScarlet View Post

Thanks for your help.

Dave
You have printed the entire tire identification number - HJEM A2JX 1106. This section identifies the tire manufacturer - (A2JX) - and week and year it was manufactured (1106).

The “A2” indicates the tire was manufactured at QINGDAO GREAT RUBBER FACTORY, SHANDONG, China.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:51 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I would plan on replacing the tires including the spare, not only because of the date code, but simply because you don't know anything about what they were exposed to during their lifetime. This is one of the cases where better safe than sorry applies. Now I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with them, and being XPS ribs, the 6 year rule is kind of mute, but you just don't know how they were taken care of. and if one or more fails, you could be out a lot more than the $1000 (approx.)that replacing them will cost you.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote