Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2016, 05:06 PM   #15

Sailun 235/85R16 G load (14 ply).
Ran them on our Travel Supreme similar weight with no issue.

MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2016, 08:06 PM   #16
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks to those who have responded thus far.

I like the idea of the added security of a 14 ply.
In speaking with my tire dealer, who I might add, I trust as they have been looking after our truck fleet for 16 years, he recommends the Sailun and suggests that I don't have to run them at max pressure (110 psi).
In looking at reviews on the Sailun S637 tire, anywhere I've looked, I've seen 5 stars given.

Still pondering.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post

In speaking with my tire dealer, who I might add, I trust as they have been looking after our truck fleet for 16 years, he recommends the Sailun and suggests that I don't have to run them at max pressure (110 psi).
In looking at reviews on the Sailun G637 tire, anywhere I've looked, I've seen 5 stars given.

Still pondering.
What your dealer told you about the pressure is a debate I have been reading about along time. I've heard everything from '10 psi over is better than 1 psi low' to 'you can run the 110 psi tires at 90 psi and be fine' (that was from the tire shop I bought the tires at). Wish I knew what to believe.

Steve
Old 07-26-2016, 08:39 PM   #18
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4FF View Post
What your dealer told you about the pressure is a debate I have been reading about along time. I've heard everything from '10 psi over is better than 1 psi low' to 'you can run the 110 psi tires at 90 psi and be fine' (that was from the tire shop I bought the tires at). Wish I knew what to believe.

Steve
From what I've read, I understand that changing the valve stem to bolt-in will allow the increased tire pressure.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:23 AM   #19

Sailun seems to have the best reviews or fewer complaints. I believe it takes more than the metal valve stems to add the 30# additional. Carlisle came off my list quickly. Maxxis has some complaints as well but seems the best way for me. My Trailer Kings have only 3700 miles and are less than 2 years old. They will have about 7000 in the spring and am now in less of a hurry to change.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:48 PM   #20

Quote:

In looking at reviews on the Sailun S637 tire, anywhere I've looked, I've seen 5 stars given.

Still pondering.
Big bonus, he understands inflation based on load! Nice.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:05 PM   #21

Quote:
What your tire dealer doesn't understand (many do not) is tires on a conventional trailer have close spaced axles in the center of the vehicle and actually side slip (side scrub= lots of inter ply stress) as the trailer is pulled around corners and backing maneuvers .
Max sidewall pressures help hold the tires shape better as its sliding sideways around corners and does a better job of holding the tires tread and body plies together.

Minimum pressure charts work fine for the tow vehicle with tires at the corners with the front set steering and the rears simply following.

RV Tire Safety: "Interply Shear" and other Techno Babble
Good read all through his blog for anyone looking for tires for a trailer.

Now ,if you have severally over tired the trailer such as the Sailun S637 at 4080 lb capacity/110 psi with say 2800-3000 lb load per tire then common sense tells us 110 psi may be too much pressure.
If thats the case then I like this from ;
rvsafety.com

Tire Load and Inflation Ratings

Note: Towable – Travel Trailer/ 5th Wheel owners Due to the severe use conditions experienced by tires when axles are very close together – tire industry experts recommend maximum (sidewall) inflation pressure for towable tires unless this causes a sever over-inflation situation (20psi+), often referred to as the ‘basketball effect’. If this is your situation allow a 10 – 15psi safety margin above the minimum required inflation pressure.'

The Sailun S637 is a commercial grade tire with a proven track record especially from the commercial trailer haulers side.

The Carlisle vs Sailun is apples vs oranges.
The RH has been out since early '12 and the HD is just now released so they don't have a track record yet (Years and miles).

Good luck
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:28 PM   #22
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
So here's my dilema.

Apparently, my wheels are a Tredit T03 and supposedly only rated for 80 psi and 3560 lbs.
What makes the rim only rated for 80 psi?
I ran my Duro ST2100 12 ply' sat 85 psi without issue on these rims.
The Carlisles could work but are 12 ply.
I'd like the Sailuns as they are 14 ply and have stiffer sidewalls, but have a max pressure of 110 psi.
I'm told I can run them at 85 psi but worry about under inflation. Won't they heat up and blow?

I'm making myself crazy trying to figure this out. I need to make a decision before a trip in a couple of weeks.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:15 AM   #23

I'm changing to Carlisle 235/85/16 LR E. At 80# they can carry more than I need. I thought all 6.5" rims were good to 110 and not true. I was planning on Maxxie but~~~~~
If you want a little more and are comfortable Carlisle makes a load range F at 95#.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:46 AM   #24
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
The Carlisle's I'm looking at at the new 235/85r16 Trail HD 12 ply and would only put my rims at 15 psi over specs.

I just checked my last weigh in numbers on my 5th wheel.
Loaded, I'm at 12544 lbs so roughly 3130 lbs per wheel.

I might call Tredit to get more info on the rims psi and call Sailun to get info on running the tires at a lower psi than 110.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:09 AM   #25
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn John View Post
I'm changing to Carlisle 235/85/16 LR E. At 80# they can carry more than I need. I thought all 6.5" rims were good to 110 and not true. I was planning on Maxxie but~~~~~
If you want a little more and are comfortable Carlisle makes a load range F at 95#.
Make sure you ask for the latest edition. Carlisle now makes an HD in the 235/85R16 12 ply. The RH version is their old tire. I just spoke with Carlisle tire direct. They said I could safely run them at 88-90 psi.

I also spoke with Tredit about the rims. They said they are only rated for 80 psi due to the cutout design of the T03 wheel.
They didn't say I couldn't go higher, they just said I'd void my warranty.

I also spoke with Sailun. They said I could run the S637 at 80 psi but would reduce the weight load capacity. I don't need 4048 lbs. so I'm leaning towards Sailun. I'm waiting for a call back from the rep with more specifics.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:29 AM   #26

Quote:
So here's my dilema.

Apparently, my wheels are a Tredit T03 and supposedly only rated for 80 psi and 3560 lbs.
What makes the rim only rated for 80 psi?
I ran my Duro ST2100 12 ply' sat 85 psi without issue on these rims.
The Carlisles could work but are 12 ply.
I'd like the Sailuns as they are 14 ply and have stiffer sidewalls, but have a max pressure of 110 psi.
I'm told I can run them at 85 psi but worry about under inflation. Won't they heat up and blow?

I'm making myself crazy trying to figure this out. I need to make a decision before a trip in a couple of weeks.
I ran my GY "G" tires on 80psi rims for 5 years and THOUSANDS of miles with NO issues and perfect tread wear. I set pressures at 85 per GY Tech Support. Chart said 80 and GY says add 5psi when up sizing load rating.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:53 AM   #27

A few thoughts on installing a tire rated for 110 psi on a rim rated for 80 psi.

Can you do it? Yes

Will you have some increased sidewall flex due to running lower pressure? I would think you would have some but since I am not a tire engineer, I can't say that for sure.

Will a reputable tire dealer do it? Probably not...too much liability

Could their be an issue with your insurance company should a rim fracture due to the excessive psi and road conditions? maybe, maybe not depending on how astute the claims adjuster is. However, a knowledgeable adjuster would ask why tires installed are not rated for the rims.

Should an accident occur due to a blowout/rim failure and sever damage and injuries occur to both you and others on the highway affected by the blowout/fracture, would the lawyers go after you or the tire installer? Almost guaranteed

Considering all the issues involved and the concerns you have, I would again recommend that you look seriously at 17.5 rims rated for the higher pressures and matching tires suitable for those rims. You can then sell your existing tires and rims to recover some of the cost to upgrade.

In the meantime, go ask your tire dealer if he will install the 110psi tires on your existing 80psi rims. Let us know what he says.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:54 PM   #28

Sailun is the only Chinese tire to use on any RV. And the price is certainly right.

The only downside is that there are relatively few Sailun dealers. There again, any tire can be ordered online and received within 2 days in most of North America.

And I've never heard the first complaint or problem on a Sailun G rated tire on a RV.