Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2016, 06:57 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Sailun is the only Chinese tire to use on any RV. And the price is certainly right.

The only downside is that there are relatively few Sailun dealers. There again, any tire can be ordered online and received within 2 days in most of North America.

And I've never heard the first complaint or problem on a Sailun G rated tire on a RV.
This was the EXACT reason I bought Sailuns for my 5th Wheel. There has been a whole lot of praise and compliments on the different RV forums but I haven't read one negative yet. We all know how these forums are about pointing out negatives so that spoke volumes to me. Also I was going to buy from Simpletire.com and have them shipped to NTB for install. When I called NTB to verify, the guy asked if he could give me a price on them. They actually beat the Simpletire price.

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2016, 07:01 PM   #30
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow46 View Post
A few thoughts on installing a tire rated for 110 psi on a rim rated for 80 psi.

Can you do it? Yes

Will you have some increased sidewall flex due to running lower pressure? I would think you would have some but since I am not a tire engineer, I can't say that for sure.

Will a reputable tire dealer do it? Probably not...too much liability

Could their be an issue with your insurance company should a rim fracture due to the excessive psi and road conditions? maybe, maybe not depending on how astute the claims adjuster is. However, a knowledgeable adjuster would ask why tires installed are not rated for the rims.

Should an accident occur due to a blowout/rim failure and sever damage and injuries occur to both you and others on the highway affected by the blowout/fracture, would the lawyers go after you or the tire installer? Almost guaranteed

Considering all the issues involved and the concerns you have, I would again recommend that you look seriously at 17.5 rims rated for the higher pressures and matching tires suitable for those rims. You can then sell your existing tires and rims to recover some of the cost to upgrade.

In the meantime, go ask your tire dealer if he will install the 110psi tires on your existing 80psi rims. Let us know what he says.
My tire dealer was the one that suggested I could reduce the pressure. I called Sailun Tire this AM and they also confirmed I could reduce the pressure without issue other than that with lower pressure, the load carrying limits will drop off.
The Sailuns are an all steel belt truck tire made with thicker side walls as well as being a 14 ply. The rep told me there would be virtually no difference in how the tire would perform in terms of side wall deflection or heat. He said dropping the pressure 20 psi is a non issue.

The S637 tire is built like a tank from all things I've seen and read.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:16 PM   #31

Tire Dilemma...Carlisle or Sailun

So your dealer said he will install the 110lb rated tire on the 80lb psi rated rim? If so, I would ask him to make sure he documents what he did on your receipt. I suspect he wont put it in writing if he is a reputable dealer. Not questioning the quality of the tire as I have no experience to judge it by other than the reported specs. I have seen a cracked rim that resulted in a destroyed tire and the resulting damage to the RV was not something to wish on anybody.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:46 PM   #32

I'd replace your wheels with something rated for 110 PSI and get the Saliuns or the Goodyear G614's. Get rid of those T03 wheels as they've got a track recorded of breaking at the spokes. I'd wouldn't run them over inflated. As I said before I've seen them cracked and broken on people with your exact trailer.

One of the first things I did on my Cardinal is pull those wheels and the marathons off and put on a wheel rated for 110 PSI with G614's.
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:46 PM   #33

The Carlisle load range F are a 95 psi tire. Load range E is 80 psi speed rating 93 mph. I'm going with load range E before I leave for FL this winter.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:38 AM   #34

Give Trailer Tires and Wheels a call

Trailer Tires and Wheels - Steel & Aluminum Trailer Wheels, Bias & Radial Trailer Tires

and see what the cost would be for a set of tires and wheels, mounted, balanced and shipped to you--might be surprised. And they will match the wheel correctly to the psi needed.

Joe
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:52 AM   #35

Retired Fire Service RVer's
If you are going to change wheels, go with the 17.5" wheels and 215/85r17.5" LR H tires, and never look back. I have Cooper Roadmaster and run them at 105 to 110psi. If you don't change the wheels, then I agree with the Saliuns run at 80psi, providing that they have a high enough load rating at that pressure.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:21 AM   #36

When I first had Sailuns put on the tires were aired to 110 psi. After a few trips I noticed that items in the camper were thrown about about which didn't happen before. The camper weighs approx 12500 and the original tires, E load range, were aired to 80 psi. Thus 110 psi was causing the camper to ride hard. I dropped the air pressure to 90 psi and have not had any issues and the camper rides better. The only time you need max pressure is if you have max load. The Sailuns been on for 3+ years and no problems.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:44 AM   #37

"Will you have some increased sidewall flex due to running lower pressure?"

NO difference, it's proportional.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:47 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
If you are going to change wheels, go with the 17.5" wheels and 215/85r17.5" LR H tires, and never look back. I have Cooper Roadmaster and run them at 105 to 110psi. If you don't change the wheels, then I agree with the Saliuns run at 80psi, providing that they have a high enough load rating at that pressure.
Frank
At his weight that is a complete waste of money. GY or Sailun "G's" are PLENTY of tire for his rig.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:29 PM   #39

I would install Michelin Ribs. You may have to order them shipped to your door but they are the best. Should be no problem finding someone to install them. They are the best tire out there, more expensive but the best.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:17 AM   #40

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Cummins12V98,
I would agree with you , but I said that IF he had to buy new wheels, The tires are much cheaper than the G614 Goodyears, unless you go with the Michlen or Goodyear 17.5" tires. Another plus is the 17.5" is a common size commercial lowboy tire and almost any commercial truck tire dealer will carry this size all over the country.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:54 AM   #41
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
The Sailun rep sent me their Tire Load Carrying Capacity Chart. This isn't the S637. It's for their LT235/85R16, but he said would give me an idea of range for lower pressures due to my rims.

Running them at 90 psi would be over what I need.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	72
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	134499  
Old 07-30-2016, 03:18 PM   #42

My T03 rims cracked and were replaced under warranty. I sold the new replacements rated for 110 psi and purchased 17.5 wheels w Goodyear tires and no more thinking about it. I too had G rated tires on the T03 rims rated for 80 psi and had a blowout and the damage to my Cardinal was substantial. I noticed the cracks on the wheels when I had the tire failure. And the G rated tires were top of the line China bombs, but not according to my tire guy. If your camper is a keeper, overkill on tires isn't a bad thing IMHO.