Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2011, 01:17 PM   #1

Tire Inflation problem/recommendations

Hello all,

I have recently upgraded from a TT to a 5er and have a question about the tire inflation. My new 5er requires a tire inflation of 110 psi where as my TT was only 65 psi. Obviously the tires on the 5er are a lot bigger, but I do not have pump or gauge that goes that high and from what I understand the air pumps at normal gas stations will not inflate them that high either. I was told a long time ago that I should always keep my trailer tires inflated to the max level, but I have no way of doing that and there are no truck stops even close to where I live. I don't want to take trips with low pressure in my tires, but I am helpess at the moment. If I were to buy a compressor for this purpose does anyone have any suggestions on what kind to buy or does anyone have any suggestions on an alternate solution?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
It sounds like you have LT235/85R-16G Goodyear G614 RST G-rated tires. If so, you might want to do a search here on iRV2 on "Goodyear G614" - they have quite a history of failures under heavy 5th wheels. We lost 2 with the second failure doing $2500 damage to the 5th wheel. With that history, I wouldn't, under any circumstances, run with underinflated G614s.

We subsequently upgraded to J-rated 17.5" Michelin XTA tires that are rated for 4805 lbs @ 120 PSIG inflation pressure. To get around to answering your question, we carry the following Husky 155 PSIG compressor in the pickup's toolbox. It's available at Home Depot for around $100 and does a good job of keeping the tires up to snuff.

Rusty
Attached Images

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
D&J

We had the same luck with the GY 614 G tires as Rusty and we now ride on Sumitomo 17.5 H tires that we keep at 120 to 125 psi. We use a compressor form Sears that we have had for 6 years Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more.

Denny

2003 HH 35 Premier
D&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:31 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you want a 12v pump look at the VIAIR line. Constant duty pump reccomended, they can hit that pressure---easy---and run a long time not needing rest. I went the full route with comprssor and tank for my MH-----I have reasons for the air but the compressor handles tires all by itself.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #5

I have the air pump that Rusty shows. I installed a 50 foot hose that can reach all of the trailer and truck tires. Do not have to move it from the storage compartment.
Don
Old 06-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My VIAIR suggestion is the most expensive I am sure but usable if you cannot get to or do not have 110v. I installed a 2-1/2 gallon tank and have a fifty ft hose. I use the air for multiple purposes so it makes sense to me( a really obnoxious loud air horn thrown in) ---

certainly just for airing tires there are cheaper suitable options. But information is just that--if you do not have it you can use it---so my two cents worth.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #7

I have used the Power Tank system for about 6 years, 120 lbs is not any problem and nothing to do except put air (CO2) and go.
see POWERTANK - CO2 Air Systems
Old 06-26-2011, 10:54 AM   #8

Thanks for everyone's input. I've already fried one of my compressors (cheaper model) and didn't want to invest in something until I had a little input. I bought the husky model and it got pretty good reviews as well. I didn't think about the 50 foot hose attachment and really like that idea. That will be my next purchase.

Dave
Old 06-26-2011, 11:13 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I picked up a 6 gallon Porter-Cable compressor from Lowe's. Rated up to 150 PSI. It does a great job. Camping World has a tire pressure gauge that works on both the inside and outside tires (if you have a dually) but I found a nice digital one on E-Bay. Worldwide Merchandise Company - Tire Pressure Gauge - Tire Accessories - Camping World

I also picked up a combination Tire pressure gauge and inflator. It connects to the air hose and buy pulling a lever with your finger it sill inflate or defalte as needed. It has a gauge built in so you can see he tire inflation. I forget where I got it from, but it wasn't from CW.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #10

Rusty and Denny, I have a quick question on your 614 failures. My understanding is that GY had the 614s made in China a while back and had major issues. Do you know if your failures were with China made or US made 614s. There are a lot of folks switching from the Chinese made Marathons to US made 614s on medium weight (12K to 14K Lb) Rigs with great success, myself being one.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:44 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Rusty and Denny, I have a quick question on your 614 failures. My understanding is that GY had the 614s made in China a while back and had major issues. Do you know if your failures were with China made or US made 614s.
U.S. made - mid 2004 vintage. We had 2 failures 3 months apart in 2007, so the tires were about 3 years old. Our 5th wheel is 16K GVWR. Goodyear paid for the damage and, after the 2nd failure, replaced all 3 remaining tires (they had already replaced the tire after the 1st failure). When the replacements were nearing 3 years of age and we had a trip planned across Texas, New Mexico and Arizona last July, I "chickened out" and replaced the G614s with the 17.5" Michelin XTAs. Best money I ever spent insofar as peace of mind is concerned (I had previously replaced Goodyear Wrangler HTs with Michelin XPS Ribs on a prior RV - never a problem with the Michelins). And, yes, we've been through the Goodyear Marathon failures as well on yet another prior 5th wheel.

You might want to do a search here on iRV2 for "G614" or "G614 failure". This ain't nothing new!!

Rusty
Old 06-28-2011, 07:58 AM   #12
D&J

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Rusty and Denny, I have a quick question on your 614 failures. My understanding is that GY had the 614s made in China a while back and had major issues. Do you know if your failures were with China made or US made 614s. There are a lot of folks switching from the Chinese made Marathons to US made 614s on medium weight (12K to 14K Lb) Rigs with great success, myself being one.
The 614 has always been made in the US at the Wichita KS plant it's the Marathon you are thinking about that was moved to China. Our trailer in in the 16K weight range and our first set made it 4 years and 2 months (out of warranty) before we lost a tread and a wheel trim and other small parts. We installed a second set at that time and they went 2 1/2 years before I found another one just starting to come apart that's when we installed 17.5 Sumitomo tires.

Denny

2003 HH 35 Premier
D&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:10 AM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm confused. Tire manufacturers have a chart that gives the recommended pressure for a specific weight distributed on a wheel. Are those charts just for "other than 5er's? Just curious.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:37 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I'm confused. Tire manufacturers have a chart that gives the recommended pressure for a specific weight distributed on a wheel. Are those charts just for "other than 5er's? Just curious.
Unfortunately, most OEM-provided tires used under 5th wheels will run at 90% to 95% of their rated loads based on the 5th wheels I've owned. Convention (and the recommendation of some ST [i.e., trailer-specific] tire manufacturers) is to go ahead and run the tires at the rated inflation pressure shown on the sidewalls. Trailer tires almost never wear out, so any resulting center-of-tread wear from overinflation really isn't a consideration. Here are a few items to consider regarding the foregoing:

From TrailerTireSafety.com:

Quote:
Tires that are not loaded to their maximums do not require maximum air pressure, and load-inflation tables provide the values that can be used to set air pressure for vehicles whose tire loads may be considerably less than maximum — rear tires on lightly loaded pickup trucks, for example. However, trailer weight does not fluctuate significantly with variances in fresh and waste water and supplies, and trailer owners should always inflate to the maximum pressure listed on the tire sidewall. The inflation figures are for cold tires; if you check pressure after the tire has been driven and thus warmed, you'll find it higher. This pressure rise is normal and accounted for in the maximum cold-- pressure rating.
From Discount Tire's Trailer Tire Facts:

Quote:

Inflation
  • Always inflate trailer tires to the maximum inflation indicated on the sidewall.
I'm sure folks will come along arguing that the load/inflation tables should be used on 5th wheels, but based on my years of experience towing 5th wheels, I'll err on the side of maximum inflation (and resulting maximum load capacity and minimum operating temperature).

YMMV, of course.....

Rusty