Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2008, 05:35 AM   #1

My travel trailer is now about a month and a half old. I brought it back to the dealer on Friday to have some more repairs done. Upon unhooking the trailer from my truck, I noticed what appeared to be lines on the sidewalls of the tires. Being the curious person I am, I immediately dropped everything and went over to take a closer look. There appears to be a crack going around the tires on the sidewall. This is on all four tires. It somewhat looks like what would happen if one left tires very underinflated for some time and traveled on them that way but my tires have never been underinflated since I have owned the trailer, which we bought new.

I addressed this with the dealer and the service manager told me that I had to take up the issue with the manufacturer. Once the manufacturer called him, he could do something about the issue. I called the manufacturer and I was told that I had to take up the issue with the tire manufacturer. I called them and they wanted to know specifics of my tires which are on the trailer at the dealer. Any advice? I am really getting frustrated with this new trailer and have pretty much vowed to never buy a new travel trailer again. I had much better luck with all of the used ones I have owned.

2008 Timberlodge 32RLSLE
L. Rome is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2008, 05:35 AM   #2

My travel trailer is now about a month and a half old. I brought it back to the dealer on Friday to have some more repairs done. Upon unhooking the trailer from my truck, I noticed what appeared to be lines on the sidewalls of the tires. Being the curious person I am, I immediately dropped everything and went over to take a closer look. There appears to be a crack going around the tires on the sidewall. This is on all four tires. It somewhat looks like what would happen if one left tires very underinflated for some time and traveled on them that way but my tires have never been underinflated since I have owned the trailer, which we bought new.

I addressed this with the dealer and the service manager told me that I had to take up the issue with the manufacturer. Once the manufacturer called him, he could do something about the issue. I called the manufacturer and I was told that I had to take up the issue with the tire manufacturer. I called them and they wanted to know specifics of my tires which are on the trailer at the dealer. Any advice? I am really getting frustrated with this new trailer and have pretty much vowed to never buy a new travel trailer again. I had much better luck with all of the used ones I have owned.

2008 Timberlodge 32RLSLE
Old 05-12-2008, 05:44 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
One of the first things I'd check is the age of the tires. You should find a 4-number code on the sidewall that will look something like 2307 as an example - this would mean that the tire was manufactured in the 23rd week of 2007.

Sidewall checking and/or cracking can be due to age, so I would either confirm or eliminate that as a possibility early in the game by checking the date codes. Just because the trailer is new doesn't necessarily mean the tires are!

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:16 AM   #4

More of the China bombs as someone recently so aptly named them. Check the date codes and also check the made in? My bet is they will say China. Your only options because you did not know this before hand is to accept what they will offer you as replacements or take it to a good tire shop and get real USA made tires.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:20 PM   #5

tire sidewall markings and tire tech information will assist you in determining the year of manufacture. tire cracks may, or may not, be of concern, as this page explains.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 02:31 AM   #6

Thank you everyone for your responses. I am having to wait until Thursday when a factory rep comes to the dealer. I should know something by then but I am afraid that I will end up buying tires for the camper. That is very disappointing because I expected to get at least a few thousand miles out of the originals from the factory. I have not even gotten 500.

The information about the cracks was very interesting to read. These cracks, however, are severely deep. They are much more significant that surface cracks so the tires must be replaced. They are so deep that I will not move the trailer until replacing them because I do not think they could even make the hour trip home from the dealer. I will have to figure something out when the dealer has the trailer repaired.

2008 Timberlodge 32RLSLE
Old 05-15-2008, 07:04 PM   #7

I've been thinking___I know, I know; anyway, RV dealers handle warranties for every other vendor item(AC, furnace, stove, etc) in your RV, why not tires too?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 05-15-2008, 07:39 PM   #8

I thought the same thing. Adventure Manufacturing, the factory that makes Timberlodge, said that the tire manufacturer will only handle warranty claims with the end consumer, not the dealer or the manufacturer. I do not understand why but this is what I am being told.

As this issue progresses, it appears that the tires on my 2008 Timberlodge were manufactured in 2005 (thanks to the information you provided me Ray,IN). Timberlodge sent down a representative to the dealership today to check out my trailer because of the numerous problems we have had and the many calls I have place to Adventure Manufacturing. Needless to say, I am supposed to pick up the trailer tomorrow (with new tires at no cost to me). I am not exactly sure who is footing the bill for the tires but I am just happy they did do something to make this right.

The factory also instructed the dealer to go over the trailer from top to bottom and make sure all problems are fixed. The rep was supposed to confirm this today but I have not heard anything more as of this evening. I guess we will see. Thanks, again, for everyone's help and advice on my never ending list of problems with this trailer. At least it appears the manufacturer is going to make it right.

2008 Timberlodge 32RLSLE
Old 05-16-2008, 02:44 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
L. Rome,
I know having a new trailer with issues is very dissapointing, but I have to tell you that I have worked on 2000 dollar pop-ups to half a million dollar coaches, and they all have problems. I tell all my customers, and we all just scratch are heads sometimes. Is it right, no, is it probable...yes.

The biggest things is when the manuafacture stands behind their products and they make it right. Also, if you are satisfied with your dealer go to RV Service Reviews.

Keep the faith, and go out and enjoy your trailer.

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 06:36 AM   #10

Location: Fulltimers from Eugene, Or - Now Somewhere on the Road-Currently Rio Grande Valley
We purchased our 2005 Alpenlite in May of 2007... it had been on the sales lot used in RV shows and what not.., but we bought it as new...
What I notice is the tires are smooth on the shoulders .. when looking at my car or truck tires.. the shoulders have a tread/traction grooves... do trailer tires appear different ?
Also.. since they were sitting for those two years .. should I be thinking about replacement before hitting road full time.. ?

2007 Duramax-Allison Tranny
Alpenliteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 08:03 AM   #11

If the outer edge of tread surface is what you are refering to as "smooth", those tires were ran under-inflated/over-loaded, which is over 90% of the cause of all tire failures according to every tire manufacturer.
Since it is common with RV manufacturers to load axles and tire to the maximum, tires should be inflated to sidewall maximum at all times.
This is so critical, the Carlisle tire warranty is voided if their tires are operated at less than maximum sidewall listed air pressure.