Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2016, 10:25 AM   #1

KZ RV Club
Tire monitoring

Who uses tire monitoring and has experience with it? Does it work correctly and always read? The outside monitors that screw onto the valve stem are right there for thieves. Any problems with that?

Thanks
Dave
3thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2016, 11:14 AM   #2

We have used TireTrak for about 2 years and they have worked well. Thankfully the only alarm so far has been low battery.They are lockable on the valve stems but I have had no problems so far in 30+ campgrounds by not locking them.
AdirondackJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:24 AM   #3

I've had Pressure Pro for 12 years and like them a lot. I use to check my tires with a gauge, at least once per week, now they are check constantly, and there is no air removed from the tire. I use them on the coach and toad. I was concerned about theft too, but have never had an issue. I keep a couple of extras around so that if a battery fails, it is a quick change. I originally had the type with interchangeable batteries, but did not find them as reliable. Silverleaf incorporates Pressue Pro into some of their products.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:22 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We have TireMinder for 4 years. On our 5th wheel and on Ram 3500 dually. 10 sensors. Screw on valve stems. No problem with theft so far, but I do have stem locks if I get worried. Does what it is suppose to do, warn you of low pressure, over pressure, or no pressure (blowout). Don't travel without one. The damage one tire could do without knowing what's going on back there would pay for a couple of them.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:27 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We have Tire Minder. Have been having a few issues but the support I am getting is super. Have already saved the cost of a tire because of the warning I got from the system.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:36 PM   #6

I have had the Tire Minder system for 5 years now and won't travel without it. Make sure, which ever system you decide on that you are familiar with it's operation.
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:24 AM   #7

It is best to use metal valve stems even if the vendor doesn't specifically require them. Over 25 yrs, I have had several rubber valve stems fail even w/o sensors and I believe some tire failures are really valve stem failures initially.

I have used the TST system and like it and the customer support. TST also offers internal sensors which I use on the fiver. They are more accurate with temperature readings and therefore more likely to let you see abnormally high temps caused by overheated bearings or dragging brake shoes, maybe even a brake that is totally inoperative. Battery life is supposed to be 7 yrs, but I've had several fail within 4 yrs. TST has been fast with replacements and my local Discount Tire charges like $7 to dis-mount the tire and swap out the sensor. Still use external sensors on the truck rear tires.

Any system is better than none, but you still need to verify that signal strength is adequate going down the road and just because you have a system, don't get lax about visually inspecting tires for signs of damage, etc.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:01 AM   #8

We have the EK2 system for the fiver and our enclosed trailer that is pulled behind it. It seems to be "okay" but looking at some of the other options available I'm thinking it might be in the lower-levels of quality. (Sometimes a random sensor won't actually show the pressure and temperature for a few minutes or even a whole trip) I definitely feel like having the system is better than nothing though. It also helps that my wife follows my 74' of rig and can help keep an eye on things.

Definitely get a TPMS.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:19 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use them, wouldn't travel without. Over three years and no theft.
I suppose someone could take them, but they aren't generic. How would they know which system you use? Don't leave the receiver in plain view of your cab.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 04:25 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some years ago when I was a Pressure Pro distributor/dealer we had one person report that his sensors were stolen. He still had the monitor on and it did give an alarm but the owner thought it was just because the tires had cooled down and gave a low pressure alarm.
Other than that one instance I haven't heard of any others.
When it came time to replace my Pressure Pro sensors I gave up and bought a TST system. Had to get the repeater too, just like with the Pressure Pro had to have one too.
Now we have a SmarTire system that came as a factory option on the rig.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:27 PM   #11

KZ RV Club
I had a friend lose a tire on his 5er and didn't know about it until a trucker pulled up beside him and motioned that he had a problem. When he stopped, he had done several hundred dollars damage to the wheel well and the trailer itself. I think the monitor is a must.

"TST has been fast with replacements and my local Discount Tire charges like $7 to dis-mount the tire and swap out the sensor."

Does Discount dismount wheels, replace the tires and remount? I thought they wouldn't touch a trailer......Dave
3thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3thumbs View Post
"TST has been fast with replacements and my local Discount Tire charges like $7 to dis-mount the tire and swap out the sensor."

Does Discount dismount wheels, replace the tires and remount? I thought they wouldn't touch a trailer......Dave
Absolutely, pull the fiver up next to the bays, blocking one or two of them. They jack up the trailer, remove the tire, deflate it, remove the old sensor, then reverse the process. Back in 2012, they even replaced the factory ST tires for LT's, no problem, no hesitation.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote