Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2009, 03:38 PM   #1

Tire Monitoring Systems

I am in the market for a tire monitoring system for my Fifth Wheel Trailers. I was amazed to find so many options out there, but this has me scratching my head for the best system.

I was looking at TST, as they claim to be able to monitor temperature as well as air pressure. I also called Duran and they claim that the sensors wouldn't be able to accurately measure temp at the valve stem anyway, and that their TMS has a better seal on the sensor and also features a sudden pressure loss activator.

I would like to get a system installed soon as I am planning a trip in a few weeks and would like to leave with the TMS installed. If anyone has anything to offer or suggest on which system to purchase (good, bad or ugly) I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks, Tim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2009, 03:55 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Each vendor will probably have reasons why their system is better, particularly in regard to features the other system has that theirs does not!

I bought the TST system last March, and am quite happy with it. I had a few bad sensors, which they cheerfully and quickly replaced. The actual temp reading isn't important, just as when I check my tire temps with my infrared thermometer. Yes, the temp at the valve stem will be different from the temp at the tread or the bead or wherever else. What you are looking for when monitoring temp is one tire that is noticeablly hotter than another with no explicable reason (sitting in the sun, etc) -- OR an increasing temp reading on one tire. Either of those would tell you there may be a problem developing that needs to be checked out. Having a temp indicator is just one more thing that can tell you of a possible problem.

I like my TST system, other folks like what they bought. They all do the basic job with some differences in price and perhaps little differences in features.

Make your own decision based on what you read about them, what you see when you check them out, and then go out and enjoy your RV !!!

Old 08-26-2009, 04:59 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
......I bought the TST system last March, and am quite happy with it.........

Make your own decision based on what you read about them, what you see when you check them out, and then go out and enjoy your RV !!!

TST for me also, so far so good..
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:03 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I have had the Doran for several years both on Motorhomes and now my fiver and have been happy with it. When I moved the monitoring panel from the motorhome to the pickup truck, it said I might need to use an external antennal to pick up the signal from the fiver. I did not need to do that, but am saying this in case you "might" need to. Don't know if that is a possible issue with the TST or not.
When pricing it out, make sure you look at www.rvupgradestore.com
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:49 PM   #5

Well, I just ordered the TST, mainly due to the temperature sensing feature. It's just one more bit of information about changes in tire integrity that I think may be valuable. There is also an incentive for August, where they extend the warranty to two years, if purchased in the month of August ($50 value).

It was a tough one, between the Doran and TST.

Thanks for all of your input. I'll post up how it goes on our next trip when I can see the system in action.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Mike mentioned having to get an external antenna for his Doran system ... after a couple of trips with my TST I bought the optional booster w/antenna. TST indicates you might need it for a rig over 40'. Although I know owners who have no problems w/o the booster on a 40' coach, mine was occasionally dropping signals for the toad tires -- no reading at all for that position. My 40' MH has a rear closet and I figured that may be enough extra "insulation" that the signal was not always getting through to the dash receiver. TST's recommendation is to mount the unit under the rear of the coach and to tie into 12v power somewhere there. I tried mine first in the rear bedroom, velcroed to the top of bed slide molding, and tied into the 12v line on a 12v power socket by the bed. It works great there so that is where it stayed!
Old 08-27-2009, 09:01 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
My Tire Safegueard system arrived today. I will be installing it this weekend.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:21 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I've had the Tire Safeguard for a year now and am very satisfied with it. I had a problem with transmission from the toad to the coach, their tech support person was very helpful and sent warranty replacements promptly.

It measures pressure, temperature and has a sudden pressure loss warning. IMHO it is easier to change pressure warning points than some of the other brands.

Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:25 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Very pleased with Pressure Pro operation and service. Use 6 on the coach and 4 on the toad. I did have to purchase the repeater which resides in the bedroom.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:51 AM   #10

My TST came with the extra antenna extender. I just bought it in August. So far have only used it on the TV but am happy with the purchase.