Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2016, 11:41 AM   #15

When inflated to 65 PSI your original equipment tires provided 3000# of load capacity, each. Sooner or later you were going to suffer blowouts, it just happened after going to the correct inflation pressures because you had already damaged them internally.

No knowledgably tire person will suggest using less inflation pressures for OE tires than what has been recommended by the vehicle manufacturer and displayed on the vehicle’s certification label, tire placard and in it’s owner’s manual. Remember, it’s a trailer and it’s tire maintenance and upkeep is a little different than tires on automotive vehicles, which, under normal circumstances, will never use 100% of their load capacity via inflation.

FastEagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2016, 11:49 AM   #16

Every time I change tires I try to go up in capacity. Ours came with C's on it. I went to D's and will go E next time.

Old 05-07-2016, 02:38 PM   #17

Used to run maxxis, but last time when I bought the latest used fifth wheel i was at Kal tire they only had Carlisle and I needed tires, so put carlisles on, I run them at the max, which I think on these 15" ones is 65PSI.
They have been on for a bit now and we do not get away every year, so it does sit a lot on asphalt, so will have to see how they do now as they age.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:22 PM   #18

I've been towing a 5th wheel for about a dozen years, always ran my tires at recommended pressure, and usually felt good about my results. Last summer bought our first new 5'er and started reading about all the tire problems some people have, so finally broke down and bought a TPMS (Tire SafeGuard). Used it for the first time this weekend. that being said, I used to check my tire pressure, keep an eye on them during the trip etc. no worries. so now I set my tires at 80 psi (load range E) take off down the road, the monitor says 80 psi, then 83 psi, 85 psi, till it levels off at 88 psi. I am assuming this is normal, but would like to hear from those of you that have run a TPMS for a number of years. Told the DW that now that I have the monitor to look at I worry about the tires more than I used to
Old 05-10-2016, 10:14 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwadted View Post
I've been towing a 5th wheel for about a dozen years, always ran my tires at recommended pressure, and usually felt good about my results. Last summer bought our first new 5'er and started reading about all the tire problems some people have, so finally broke down and bought a TPMS (Tire SafeGuard). Used it for the first time this weekend. that being said, I used to check my tire pressure, keep an eye on them during the trip etc. no worries. so now I set my tires at 80 psi (load range E) take off down the road, the monitor says 80 psi, then 83 psi, 85 psi, till it levels off at 88 psi. I am assuming this is normal, but would like to hear from those of you that have run a TPMS for a number of years. Told the DW that now that I have the monitor to look at I worry about the tires more than I used to
All tires heat a little differently so don't compare yours with others, even like brands, sizes and designs.

A lot of tire manufacturers put their tire data books on the internet. In those books you can find the normal range for your tires. A lot depends on the environment, road conditions and the structure of the tires and compounds used in them. Thankfully the tire industries of the world have standardized the thermal effects. Once you know what your ballpark readings should be for the conditions you are traveling in you will know what is normal for your tires.

Always inflate your tires to the vehicle manufacturers recommendations and do it when they are considered in a "cold condition". 95% to 100% of all original equipment RV trailer tires are going to be set at maximum load capacity pressures so there isn't any wiggler room anyhow.
FastEagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwadted View Post

I definitely do this!!!!! Our tires have a cold pressure of 125 psi. First trip down the road I really started to panic when I saw 150 psi on the monitor. So much in fact that I pulled over and contacted Goodyear. They said it's fine and not to worry about the pressure increasing like that as long as the cold pressure started off at the 125 psi. I've become better at not stressing, but still...
Old 05-10-2016, 12:36 PM   #21

I always inflate to max (80 psi for mine)....was just curious how much they go up. Thanks
Old 05-12-2016, 08:17 PM   #22

Tires are manufactured to withstand normal pressure increases due to friction heating--the use of a monitor system allows you to note if there is one tire climbing in pressure higher than the others--thats a sure sign to stop and figure it out.
My Suites set at 120 will easily climb to 145, but all four tires stay close in range--be aware the sunny side will influence these reading quite a bit.
Some of the systems also monitor temps, but pressure is much more relevant to a problem beginning.
Tightwated--
If you worry about them while you can monitor them, think about how blissfully unaware you were all the past years...
Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure