Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #29

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
gonna move my infrared pistol to the cabin so I have easy access
Mine is always stowed in a cubby beside the driver seat where it is handy when I stop.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #30

It went in the glass door cabinet above the driver's seat. Wouldn't fit in the glove box.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Just did a quick check on ebay. I could have bought 12 CR1632 batteries for what I paid for one. Somebody reach out and slap me. Please...

Bummer. Good to know you can find them more affordable on Ebay. How long did your original batteries last?
first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #32

I had one go dead at 6 months. The rest are still good since I bought my 507 in Oct. I removed all the sensors, so that should extend their life.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #33

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I had bad luck with the earlier TST system, but their customer service was fantastic! I now have the TireTracker system (Hawkshead/TireMinder are different labels for the same system). The sensors are smaller and lighter, do pressure & temp, and have replaceable batteries (I bought cr1632's at Walmart). The small portable monitor is great ...I move it back and forth between MH and toad depending on which I am driving. Having temp simply gives you another safety indicator ...I also have an infrared thermometer I will use sometimes at stops.
My Tireminder system manuals state that if I mail the lithium batteries in to them, they will replace them, free, up to 7 years.....
Old 04-17-2012, 04:57 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Has anybody found a cheap source for the CR1632 batteries used in the 507 sensors? I checked all the dollar stores and they don't carry them. Autozone has them for $3.95 ea. Haven't checked ebay yet.
Just checked on Amazon. Amazon.com: (25) CR1632 Button Cell Lithium Watch Batteries Battery: Electronics, with free shipping!!!!!

I guess good deal with the 22 tire system.

Archie
archbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:47 AM   #35

Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
KZ RV Club
I had a very nice chat with Abby, Dan's helper at TST. We discussed all the available systems, and I opted for the 510.

I was looking very closely at the new system, which allows you to air the tire through the sensor. On the surface it sounds really good, but what stopped me was maintenance. When those batteries do wear out, they have to be sent in for replacement, with about a 2 week turn around. This requires all the wheels to be broken down, and the valve stems removed. Can you imagine the dually and 5er up on blocks for 2 weeks?

My new system should be waiting for me when I get home, so I'm looking forward to playing with it.
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:12 AM   #36
JDT

I was really disappointed that my new 2012 GMC 3500 Denali does not have factory installed tire pressure monitors. It is on the 3/4 ton and 1/2 tons but not mine. Not sure why GM does this, may have something to do with the dually's, even though mine is a single rear wheel. Anyway, after reading this looks like I'll be getting a TST with 8 sensors instead of 4 like I originally planned.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT
I was really disappointed that my new 2012 GMC 3500 Denali does not have factory installed tire pressure monitors. It is on the 3/4 ton and 1/2 tons but not mine. Not sure why GM does this, may have something to do with the dually's, even though mine is a single rear wheel. Anyway, after reading this looks like I'll be getting a TST with 8 sensors instead of 4 like I originally planned.
I know that sensors were required since 2008 on all light passenger vehicles... Maybe the 3500 is exempt from that requirement??
07PSDCREW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #38

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
I believe TST is also working on a new transmitter/sensor that allows you to air up your tires without removing the transmitter/sensor...Sweeeeeeet
It is supposed to be out now, it's listed on their site now, cost is $70 per tire and you have to replace the valve stem on each wheel. Not real portable if you sell the rig.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:41 AM   #39

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
I just started using a system which is very similar to the TST product. It is called the Hawkshead TPMS RV TPMS . I got the Talon model and it works in a very similar manner. Attaching to the end of the tire valve. Measures Tire Pressure and temp. They use a small set screw to help deter theft. Upper and lower values are adjustable and batteries are replaceable. It very recently saved me some grief when after going to a Les Schwab to get valve extenders put on, I noticed that one tire (one that hadn't been worked on) was suddenly losing pressure (about 30 pounds in 30 mins). Gave me enough warning to get to another Les Schwab where it was discovered that the in the process of the initial work, the installer had somehow managed to loosen up the valve stem on this other tire. I never would have had a clue without the TPMS and I wouldn't have been looking for issues either having just come from a Tire Shop. Made my season shakedown cruise a whole lot easier. The technician at the second shop was quite impressed with it.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #40

Three thinks I learned make life alot easier, 1. TST TPMS, 2. Transfer Diesel tank, 3. Progressive surge protector. 1&2 make travel alot more relaxing, #3 save me alot of money, on its second trip.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote