Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #1

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

Hello Forum,

Asking for those of you who could reply to my post as to which of you are using tire pressure monitoring systems, and what your suggestions and opinions are regarding such. If you can share any links to the more superior systems that would be helpful. I have just started researching this.

My main reason is to avoid rig damage from tire failure and just added on-road safety. If early warning of issues were known ahead of time, that type of prevention is “A ok” in my book.

I am asking advice from those of you who own and use them. Maybe you can share an account of the benefits or damages spared by an early warning before any type of failure took place.

Thanks...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2012, 12:17 AM   #2

I run the Pressure Pro on 6 tires. Mine is about 4 years old still works good saves on the knees when ready to leave plus it will tell you when in you are 12% under your set pressure or over 12% so far so good.
6 Wheel Truck & Trailer
2 stroker

2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:47 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tire-SafeGuard is the system I use. I bought it because of the flow thru sensors and it doesn't require a repeater for longer set ups.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:15 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pressure Pro, Dual Dynamics Crossfire on the rear duals, tire thumper stick, digital tire gauge.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:55 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
10 wheel Doran Pressure Pro. I have used it for 2 years now and over 15,000 miles. I remove the sensors when parked for an extended period of time. I hope to extend the battery life beyond the normal 6-8 years by removing them when not in use.

It has features that others do not. In regards to having flow-through sensors, removing the sensor is like removing the valve stem cover to check air pressure or to adjust the air pressures.

Do your research and them make a decision. What is REALLY important is to have a TPMS system that you use and trust.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 04-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
10 wheel Doran Pressure Pro. I have used it for 2 years now and over 15,000 miles. I remove the sensors when parked for an extended period of time. I hope to extend the battery life beyond the normal 6-8 years by removing them when not in use.

It has features that others do not. In regards to having flow-through sensors, removing the sensor is like removing the valve stem cover to check air pressure or to adjust the air pressures.

Do your research and them make a decision. What is REALLY important is to have a TPMS system that you use and trust.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Thank you Dr4Film for the input.

I am doing just that in the research stage now.

I emailed Doran to find out if I can purchace from them directly or if I have to go through a dealer. How did you obtain yours? According to thier website they are updating the older units all the time with new technology. That is impressive seeing with the passing of a brief time new electronic improvements are usually a given. I am going to assume I am looking at a $250 + investiment. "Worth it to me". If I am not mistaken the new models now sence temperature as well.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #7

I have a Doran Pressure Pro system that I bought several years ago and the batteries should be about gone now. I've used in three different motor homes (probably about 80K miles total) and that device served me well once alerting me to a low outside dual a few years ago. Since the unit is old and the sensors need replacing at $50 each I've been looking at more modern systems and am seriously considering the TST (http://www.tsttruck.com/RV_Tire_Systems.html) which has temperature alerts as well as tire pressure. I'm adding to the tow car because I did ruin brakes & rotors on a tow car once when they overheated ($2000 repair) so I'll use sensors on the tow vehicle also.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #8

I run the 10 tire TST system with replaceable batteries. It allows not only separate tire pressure settings for high and low but also temperature settings for each wheel. I like it and have had no problems with it.
Palpatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palpatine View Post
I run the 10 tire TST system with replaceable batteries. It allows not only separate tire pressure settings for high and low but also temperature settings for each wheel. I like it and have had no problems with it.

Very nice... I have not gotten a quote from Doran, but I checked out the link on this model from 1ciderdog. It seems like a nice unit. I like the fact it comes in the 8 tire kit.

I will have to keep you posted as to which one I go with. I am now leaning toward you and 1ciderdog.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:48 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Since air pressure and temperature of any tire are related, I would not make a decision based on whether the TPMS can measure temperature or not. After all, how accurate do you think a sensor sitting on the end of a tire valve stem will measure the temperature of the inside or for that matter even the outside of a tire correctly?

If you want to measure tire temperature, you are better off purchasing an IR laser guided temperature gun. I bought one from Amazon.com and use it at every stop while traveling. I shoot each tire wall and wheel hub. I look for MAJOR differences on the same side of the coach and trailer/car depending on what I am towing. The sun side will be higher than the shade side.

I purchased directly from Doran. Debbi Gerdes is the sales rep for the RV business. I bought the 10 wheel system with the repeater. About $700 if I remember correctly.

I never leave home without it on and working properly.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 04-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Since air pressure and temperature of any tire are related, I would not make a decision based on whether the TPMS can measure temperature or not. After all, how accurate do you think a sensor sitting on the end of a tire valve stem will measure the temperature of the inside or for that matter even the outside of a tire correctly?

If you want to measure tire temperature, you are better off purchasing an IR laser guided temperature gun. I bought one from Amazon.com and use it at every stop while traveling. I shoot each tire wall and wheel hub. I look for MAJOR differences on the same side of the coach and trailer/car depending on what I am towing. The sun side will be higher than the shade side.

I purchased directly from Doran. Debbi Gerdes is the sales rep for the RV business. I bought the 10 wheel system with the repeater. About $700 if I remember correctly.

I never leave home without it on and working properly.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Thank you for the advice. Your input makes much sence. I sure would like to know what the hubs are doing while towing besides the pressure of the tires. Are you going to upgrade your system to a temperature one as well? If so it would be interesting to see the gun reading compared to the monitor system tire temp reading to see just how accurate these are?
Old 04-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #12

We researched pressure monitoring systems for several weeks before making a purchase. In all we looked at over a dozen different makes and models before making a decision. There are a lot of different systems to choose from, many with unique features.

We finally decided on the TST 507 system for our motorhome and jeep. I like the fact that each sensor can be set for a high and low pressure, high and low and temp, and assigned a wheel position. They can be moved from one position to another, or to another vehicle by just reprograming them with the monitor.

The monitor can act as a portable tire gauge. It can also be mounted a number of different ways, and either hard wired or plugged into the cigarette lighter.

This particular model uses external sensors with user replaceable batteries. We stayed away from sensors with set pressures and factory replaceable batteries. There is a good chance we will be transferring the system to another toad or motorhome. We didn't want to have to send the sensors in for battery replacement or trade them in if our new motorhome or toad require different tire pressures.

Another plus with this system is that the sensors can be used on braided valve stem extensions and on the rubber valve stems on the Jeep.
Here's a link to the TST 507 system: http://www.tsttruck.com/Product_List.html
Old 04-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
We researched pressure monitoring systems for several weeks before making a purchase. In all we looked at over a dozen different makes and models before making a decision. There are a lot of different systems to choose from, many with unique features.

We finally decided on the TST 507 system for our motorhome and jeep. I like the fact that each sensor can be set for a high and low pressure, high and low and temp, and assigned a wheel position. They can be moved from one position to another, or to another vehicle by just reprograming them with the monitor.

The monitor can act as a portable tire gauge. It can also be mounted a number of different ways, and either hard wired or plugged into the cigarette lighter.

This particular model uses external sensors with user replaceable batteries. We stayed away from sensors with set pressures and factory replaceable batteries. There is a good chance we will be transferring the system to another toad or motorhome. We didn't want to have to send the sensors in for battery replacement or trade them in if our new motorhome or toad require different tire pressures.

Another plus with this system is that the sensors can be used on braided valve stem extensions and on the rubber valve stems on the Jeep.
Here's a link to the TST 507 system: http://www.tsttruck.com/Product_List.html
Thanks so much for the information and the link... I will check it out.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #14

Have the TST system for more than a year now. Very pleased with it. Having temp and air pressure real time is peace of mind.
The came out with a newer system with user battery replacement.(same company) Would recc that over mine which are good for only 5 years and need replacement at $50 ea.
Ray