Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2015, 04:32 PM   #29

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
taken,

I have a hard time, believing that running your tires at the manufactures recommendation, will cause center tread wear.

These LT tires are used on delivery trucks every day. They don't change the pressure as the truck gets lighter.

I understand lowering the pressure to soften the ride, but too low and now you are under inflated.

The manufacturer of the vehicle sets the correct pressure. Not the manufacturer of the tire. Again, the pressure listed on the side of the tire is NOT the recommended pressure. It's the MAX pressure the tire can handle. The same tire can be used on tons of different applications. Each with it's own pressure requirement based on load. Yes, having a tire overinflated for the vehicle it's used on will cause premature center wear as it will balloon out. Just like an under inflated tire will cause premature outside wear as the center will concave.

This is why there are load inflation charts for every tire made. If you were supposed to run the max pressure all the time, there would be no need for the manufacturer to list the load capacities at lower pressures.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2015, 04:49 PM   #30

Yes OVER inflated. My tires say max pressure is 80 psi. Anything over that would be over inflated, no?

I never said anybody was " supposed to run at max pressure all the time".

I could not find, a manufacturers load capacity chart, for my, "LT225/75 R16 Chaparral-Highway", tires, but my door sticker and tire both say 80 psi.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:56 PM   #31

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Yes OVER inflated. My tires say max pressure is 80 psi. Anything over that would be over inflated, no?

I never said anybody was " supposed to run at max pressure all the time".

I could not find, a manufacturers load capacity chart, for my, "LT225/75 R16 Chaparral-Highway", tires, but my door sticker and tire both say 80 psi.

If both say 80 then you are running the correct pressure. Sometimes you have to contact the manufacturer for the load inflation charts. I had to do so for my truck's GY Wrangler AT Adventure/Kevlar. No where on the net but they emailed it right to me.

Yes, anything over 80 PSI would be over inflated. However, if you put your tires on a much lighter trailer then just being at the max/80 PSI would also be over inflated. The tire is just one part of the equation. The weight of the rig it's mounted to is the other. Different vehicles and loads require different pressures in the same tire. Think of the pressure listed on the sidewall the same way as a speed limit on a road. You can't exceed it but you certainly can go less.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:10 AM   #32

My manufacturer's placard says air tires to tire manufacturers recommended pressure which for my GY614's is 110 psi. My 2 7000 axles are carrying 12,500 the driver side slide contains the refrigerator, pantry, stove, microwave, kitchen cabinets and entertainment center. I would venture an easy 1,000 more than the passenger slide dinette and couch which would place 7,000 on the drive side tires and max my axle CC as a static load and with max inflation give 500 wiggle room on the tires.

I replaced my 7 year old GY614's a year ago because of age not because of uneven ware I had 25000 miles on them and I have no idea how many miles were on them when I bought the unit.

Under inflation will get you in more trouble than max inflation. Just ask those Ford Explorer owners from a few years back.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:21 AM   #33

It is ridiculous to use 125psi with axle ratings of only 7K.

It's nice they actually placed tires on the RV that are more than needed instead like usual barely meeting requirements.

Per a conversation with GY Tech they said to use RV mfg pressures. That's called CYA but she did say what up sizing or have more tire than needed weigh each axle and preferred each tire then use the weight/inflation chart and then add 5psi to the chart. In have done so and have perfectly even tread wear and the tires run cool. The mentioned RV above would require no more then 105psi. Same tires on my 07 MS with 14K sitting on the axles I ran 107psi and after 30K this is how they looked. GY "H" 17.5's

Also she said over inflation caused center tire wear and less stopping traction!

Old 05-17-2015, 07:40 AM   #34

Retired Fire Service RVer's
If .you think that running a G614 at under 110 psi is wise, then just take an IR gun and check the tire temperature after about 200 miles on an 80*plus ambient temperature day at 60 to 65 mph and a 12,500# loading. You will find out that running them under 110psi will raise the tire temperatures significantly and possibly causing tire failure. This is from actual experience and not something engineered on paper. If you are running over 12,000# on your 7000# axles, I would suggest you upgrade to the 17.5" wheels and tires to help eliminate future tire problems. I am loaded to close to 13,000# on my 5er and I run 110# in my 17.5" and after 10,000miles, I too have flat even tread wear, well I should say little tread wear.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:46 AM   #35

Forest River Owners Club
Frank, my TST TPMS does the same. Great tool for watching pressure AND temps...
Old 05-17-2015, 08:10 AM   #36

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post
As someone that has experienced every trailer tire failure imaginable-I used to tow boats at high speeds across the country tournament fishing with 100 other yahoos-we messed up some tires let me tell you. One year I replaced 6 tires on a single axle trailer due to 2 flats and 4 bubbled sidewalls. I was running 35 psi and loaded to about 30% of tires rated capacity with a saltwater flats boat. Denmans, GYMs, Carlisles, you name it I bought it. I won't even go into my hub catastrophes-dipping trailers into salt water is always a recipe for eventual disaster.

The suggestions above to inflate to max pressure is the best advice you will ever get. I have heard every form of advice from tire dealers imaginable, but anything less than max is asking for trouble. The tires run coolest at max pressure, period. The sidewalls carry the least stress at max pressure. Let the air do the heavy lifting and save your sidewalls (they have the least plies). The only downside to max pressure is a slightly stiffer ride, but since doing this I went from multiple blowouts or sidewall bubbles yearly, to NONE over the last 5 years. There is no other downside to running max pressure, even if you are at 25% of tires capacity. I experience relatively even tread wear especially with radials. I used to blame China for my tire woes, but now realize I was causing most of those failures. I run chinese tires as well as canadian but no problems anymore. On any trailer, I only run MAX cold pressure. All the research states almost all tire failures are from over loading or under inflating. Best way to avoid that is to give your tires the ability to handle all the weight they can, even if you don't think you need it.
I totally agree! I have read so much malarkey on tires on this site about tire pressure.
Seems everybody here wants a nice cushioned ride and the best mileage and longest tire life.
Sorry baby but you can't have it all.With my fleet of Kenworths and deck trailers we ran max pressure for max load.
All of my employees knew what to expect if I found something different.
Sure they recommend weighing and playing with pressures. They want to give you close to perfect, ride,long life,mileage.
They don't want to see anything negative about there tires on sites like this.
That is why they have all these fancy engineers come up with inflation charts. You get a blowout or poor life. They will look at you and say you did something wrong!
Old 05-17-2015, 08:28 AM   #37

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
The manufacturer of the vehicle sets the correct pressure. Not the manufacturer of the tire. Again, the pressure listed on the side of the tire is NOT the recommended pressure. It's the MAX pressure the tire can handle. The same tire can be used on tons of different applications. Each with it's own pressure requirement based on load. Yes, having a tire overinflated for the vehicle it's used on will cause premature center wear as it will balloon out. Just like an under inflated tire will cause premature outside wear as the center will concave.

This is why there are load inflation charts for every tire made. If you were supposed to run the max pressure all the time, there would be no need for the manufacturer to list the load capacities at lower pressures.
I disagree. Max tire pressure will not cause center wear. I have had trucks run to Florida with max pressure empty and never had a problem.
People that earn their living on tires will tell you the same.
Anything over max will distort the tire. Max pressures are there to give you the best life.
Stop at any truck stop and talk to the professional drivers.
I am a professional driver and mechanic with a CVIP inspection licence with 40 yrs experience.
I find it scary to hear people are monkeying with tire pressures in motorhomes.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:47 AM   #38

Trucks are not a good comparison to pickups!

Trucks are meant to haul a full load as much of the time as possible.

Pickups can and should vary tire pressures depending on load.

A friend runs his 17 RAM Dually at 80 rear all the time. 95% of the trucks mileage is towing and at 30K the center of his rear tires are near bald with the edges having plenty of tread left.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:58 AM   #39

Excel Owners Club
It's always a "friend" and not personal experience and observation.....

'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:03 PM   #40

A lot of confusion about tire inflation pressures is caused by using the wrong reference materials. Heavy truck tires used in the trucking industry are governed by different regulations and safety standards.

Tires fitted to motor homes and RV trailers are clearly governed by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS). Even though a large MH may have heavy duty truck tires fitted to it they are still governed by FMVSS. The same holds true for RV trailers using low profile medium duty truck tires.

The one regulation that covers all tire fitments says, in part, that your tires MUST have sufficient inflation pressure to support the loads they are carrying.

So, it's really up to the vehicle owner, unless their state has a law that follows industry safety standards. If not, they can follow the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations, tire manufacturer's load inflation charts or wing it. Whatever the owner considers the safest procedures for their purpose.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:02 PM   #41

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Trucks are not a good comparison to pickups!

Trucks are meant to haul a full load as much of the time as possible.

Pickups can and should vary tire pressures depending on load.

A friend runs his 17 RAM Dually at 80 rear all the time. 95% of the trucks mileage is towing and at 30K the center of his rear tires are near bald with the edges having plenty of tread left.
A tire is tire,regardless if it is on a bulldog or a wheel barrow.How often do we people on this site say don't buy this or that tire because it won't last or the ride is rough. So people swear by A brand or x brand.
Your friends bald dually tires how much load it it carrying? 30k does not seem bad for a pickup that is working at max load.
I don't mean to steal this thread but everybody is afraid of blowouts right. So why would we want to run less than max pressure? Most blow outs are caused from under inflation.
Flying low and slow is not safe.
Under inflated tires is not an extra margins of safety!
Old 05-17-2015, 02:19 PM   #42

I agree with the IR gun. It will put all opinions away. If it is hot it is under inflated or overloaded.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure